Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Mar 19th, '14, 14:08

Re: Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

by debunix » Mar 19th, '14, 14:08

Peacock wrote:Stunning piece....Once water hits it the cracks in the glaze disappear.
Now taking a small snowflake glaze cup from Shawn for a maiden voyage with some handmade Sejak tea from Morning Crane, and indeed, the crackles do become less prominent with tea in the cup--the light has to hit them right to see them again. But that will change again as they stain, and they'll stand out empty or full. It's going to be a lovely transition to watch.

And what a lovely tea, delicately grassy like spring shoots, the innermost palest bits, nibbled during an idle moment--a terrific match for the cup.

Apr 6th, '14, 13:45

by debunix » Apr 6th, '14, 13:45

This morning's tea session (with some of Norbu's Song Zhong oolong)\

featured two new pieces from Shawn: a porcelain cup, with a celadon glaze graced by some beautiful ash marks

And here I try to show one of the neatest features of this piece: Shawn included bits of feldspar in the clay, which melts and makes little white 'windows' in the finished piece--it adds a bit of fun to the session as the light plays through these windows, reminiscent of chinese rice-pattered porcelain wares.

The vase has lovely lines, and a wonderful mix of speckles, shiny, matt, streaks and more in the striking glaze

that will surely complement any flowers beautifully.

Jun 7th, '14, 15:38

by GreenwoodStudio » Jun 7th, '14, 15:38

Thanks for posting the pictures folks, I love that! :D

I feel like I haven't participated here in forever, although I have peeked in from time to time. It's been an interesting Spring for me with a lot going on. I moved, which is always difficult but I'm settled into my new place now and starting to get back into the swing of things. We also had our spring wood-firing so I'm happy to have new inventory. I'm trying to be more efficient in the way that I present things, so instead of my usual trickle of new work showing up, I'm going to release all (or most) of the new stuff all at once. I've been busy photographing and uploading new pieces, so hopefully within the next week it will all be up online and I'll announce it here before I do. Here's a preview of a few things.
Here's a cup with a new glaze I worked with a little bit. It's dark and cool which is a nice change from my usual warm Tenmoku. My kiln partner formulated this one and it is simply made up of local clay, calcined seashells, and touch of cobalt. Pretty neat.
I did some chawan sized porcelain pieces, but unfortunately only one made the cut. It's my favorite piece out of the firing however.
Lastly, the latest variation on what has become a sort of signature teacup form for me. I keep trying to push it in new directions. This time handles, ohhhh the horror :wink: :lol:

Jun 7th, '14, 16:09

by debunix » Jun 7th, '14, 16:09

Wonderful pieces, Shawn. I look forward to drooling over the entire firing!

Jun 7th, '14, 16:10

by AdamMY » Jun 7th, '14, 16:10

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Thanks for posting the pictures folks, I love that! :D

I feel like I haven't participated here in forever, although I have peeked in from time to time. It's been an interesting Spring for me with a lot going on. I moved, which is always difficult but I'm settled into my new place now and starting to get back into the swing of things. We also had our spring wood-firing so I'm happy to have new inventory. I'm trying to be more efficient in the way that I present things, so instead of my usual trickle of new work showing up, I'm going to release all (or most) of the new stuff all at once. I've been busy photographing and uploading new pieces, so hopefully within the next week it will all be up online and I'll announce it here before I do. Here's a preview of a few things.
Here's a cup with a new glaze I worked with a little bit. It's dark and cool which is a nice change from my usual warm Tenmoku. My kiln partner formulated this one and it is simply made up of local clay, calcined seashells, and touch of cobalt. Pretty neat.
I did some chawan sized porcelain pieces, but unfortunately only one made the cut. It's my favorite piece out of the firing however.
Lastly, the latest variation on what has become a sort of signature teacup form for me. I keep trying to push it in new directions. This time handles, ohhhh the horror :wink: :lol:

Very Excited! Will be keeping an eye out, those new bowls are quite nice.

Jun 7th, '14, 18:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 7th, '14, 18:06

... cool stuff! Heck, I even like the handled cup ... :mrgreen:

Jun 11th, '14, 15:26

by GreenwoodStudio » Jun 11th, '14, 15:26

Here's a coupon code just for TeaChatters, SPRING14. The code is active Friday and will expire Sunday at Midnight.
http://www.greenwoodstudio.etsy.com

Jun 11th, '14, 18:35
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 11th, '14, 18:35

That brown cup looks beautiful to me, including the handle!

Jun 13th, '14, 12:24

by GreenwoodStudio » Jun 13th, '14, 12:24

Thanks, Ethan :D

The new work is live, whew. Time to take a break from the photography!

Jun 13th, '14, 17:56

by debunix » Jun 13th, '14, 17:56

Stunning pieces, Shawn. Breathtaking. Wowzers.

Recently I had a friend visiting and I served his water (he doesn't like tea) in my favorite tea bowl. He was a bit uncomfortable handling it. One of those handled cups would be excellent for sharing the artisan beauty without making guests anxious.....and since it could technically be classified as a mug, rather than a teaware, it could easily fit into the not-so-crowded tablewares cabinet....

Jun 13th, '14, 19:42

by bonescwa » Jun 13th, '14, 19:42

I placed a little order. It's so nice to see chinese - style cups that are intense earth tones for a change. I bought a couple of pieces before and I loved them, before I shattered that little 50 ml gaiwan :( it was perfect for expensive things I wanted to conserve

Jun 13th, '14, 20:02

by JRS22 » Jun 13th, '14, 20:02

I'm looking forward to a little shiboridashi teapot and a yuzamashi that will work beautifully with my snowflake crackle glaze teacup. My 100ml gyo set is too large for the most intense gyo sessions, and this should be just right.

Jun 21st, '14, 14:48

by JRS22 » Jun 21st, '14, 14:48

Here's my beautiful new yuzamashi cooling the water for TPHK. Its perfectly shaped for my right hand, including an indentation for my thumb. I apologize for the cluttered picture but my cat was sulking because she prefers puerh and I couldn't crop her out of the photo.
Attachments
IMG_0332a.jpg
IMG_0332a.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Jun 21st, '14, 22:33

by debunix » Jun 21st, '14, 22:33

Won't have time to do them justice photographically for a while, but a package just arrived today, and the handled cup is a gem, and the chawan is spectacular. Too much work at present to pause for the camera.

Jul 7th, '14, 10:18

by Fuut » Jul 7th, '14, 10:18

Hey whats whats going on?

I placed an order 5 days ago, but there hasn't been any reply so far. Normally online sellers are very apt when it comes to responding.

Is it perhaps vacation time?

+ Post Reply