Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 17th, '14, 07:47

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Poseidon » Jun 17th, '14, 07:47

I got my order from mountainteas yesterday. Another three pot day for me. Started off trying the Dark roasted Tie Guan Yin which was nice. Smokey, some sweetness, coffee notes. The next tea was medium roast dong ding. This was a weird tea to me for some reason. The wet leaves smelled like a barn... kind of odd. Still not a horrible tea. I went back to the Dark Roasted TGY with a 2:1 ratio and was very happy with the results! :mrgreen:

Jun 17th, '14, 18:35

by shah82 » Jun 17th, '14, 18:35

Baci15, you want Hongshui, Baihao, and Dongding. On the mainland, only tea like that is dancong, and a lot of them aren't fermented that much. Some very expensive yancha, like rooster comb, are traditionally not roasted much.

Jun 17th, '14, 20:08

by idler » Jun 17th, '14, 20:08

Earlier today I had Rou Gui A from Jing Tea Shop....not a huge fan of it. Too bitter early on and by the time its not bitter it's weak. Still will give their yancha one more shot, just with a higher priced one.

Jun 18th, '14, 00:58

by debunix » Jun 18th, '14, 00:58

Enjoying another session with the traditional roasted TGY from Norbu, both the depth of the tea flavor, and the dancing copper light gleaming off the inside of my scallop yunomi from the Split-fire pottery TC TA SO. Mmmm.

Jun 18th, '14, 08:25

by idler » Jun 18th, '14, 08:25

debunix wrote:Enjoying another session with the traditional roasted TGY from Norbu, both the depth of the tea flavor, and the dancing copper light gleaming off the inside of my scallop yunomi from the Split-fire pottery TC TA SO. Mmmm.
I have to try Norby. What are some other great teas from them?

Jun 18th, '14, 11:11

by wert » Jun 18th, '14, 11:11

Tonight, I had some muzha tgy. Nutty fruity notes, smooth and easy down the throat. The aftertaste lingers in my mouth. Forgiving and not fussy to brew.
IMG_20140618_181659 (640x480).jpg
IMG_20140618_181659 (640x480).jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

Jun 19th, '14, 03:18

by Tead Off » Jun 19th, '14, 03:18

Gande charcoal roasted TGY. This village seems to produce some very tasty teas. Smooth, flavorful, very satisfying.

Jun 19th, '14, 08:21

by kyarazen » Jun 19th, '14, 08:21

since i cooked an asian dish "bah-kut-teh" today, i had a few brews of a nice shuixian blend (new + old) together with it. 8)

eating the dish, savouring the rich thick soup that was simmered for many hours in between sips of yan-cha.. a delightful marriage made in heaven, offering both harmony in aroma and yet contrast in taste. if you havent had this dish, do seek it out, its not difficult to cook

this dish is closely associated with gongfu tea drinking in south east asia.

Jun 19th, '14, 11:28

by debunix » Jun 19th, '14, 11:28

Enjoying a lovely session with 2007 Ba Xian Dan Cong from Tea Habitat, smooth, floral, mellow, lovely golden tones of the liquor over the oil spots of my tenmoku chawan--copper below the liquid, silver above.

Jun 19th, '14, 15:55

by idler » Jun 19th, '14, 15:55

Had some traditional TGY last night. Really hit the spot, nice and roasty. I've been craving roasty teas over green fragrant teas the past few days. Used a whole packet of 7 grams in a 100ml gaiwan.

Earlier today I had a sample of Qing Xiang Qi Lan Yancha generously included in my Jing Tea Shop order. This one was really interesting, it opened with nutty (peanut - yes I know it's a legume) flavors and finished with the typical yancha rock flavor and after the rock flavor a refreshing floral element came in. This was so much better than the mediocre Rou Gui.

Jun 19th, '14, 16:58

by bonescwa » Jun 19th, '14, 16:58

idler wrote:Had some traditional TGY last night. Really hit the spot, nice and roasty. I've been craving roasty teas over green fragrant teas the past few days. Used a whole packet of 7 grams in a 100ml gaiwan.

Earlier today I had a sample of Qing Xiang Qi Lan Yancha generously included in my Jing Tea Shop order. This one was really interesting, it opened with nutty (peanut - yes I know it's a legume) flavors and finished with the typical yancha rock flavor and after the rock flavor a refreshing floral element came in. This was so much better than the mediocre Rou Gui.
nice, yancha seems to be pretty hit or miss

Jun 20th, '14, 08:43

by idler » Jun 20th, '14, 08:43

bonescwa wrote:
idler wrote:Had some traditional TGY last night. Really hit the spot, nice and roasty. I've been craving roasty teas over green fragrant teas the past few days. Used a whole packet of 7 grams in a 100ml gaiwan.

nice, yancha seems to be pretty hit or miss
yeah I did experience that, I'm going to order there again. just not the rou gui or any of the cheap yancha. I might contact a few "tea friends" and see what they have to say.

Jun 21st, '14, 00:30

by hopeofdawn » Jun 21st, '14, 00:30

Am drinking Taiwan Tea Crafts premium Oriental Beauty at work--amazing aroma, deep and plummy. Sadly, no nice photos to share--my tea has to be in a thermos with a lid around all the electronics. Not very aesthetically pleasing, but at least the tea itself makes up for it!

Jun 22nd, '14, 18:07

by Poseidon » Jun 22nd, '14, 18:07

I love Sunday's. On my second tea which is 2014 Ben shan oolong in my Gaiwan. The tiny yixing is full of some high fire doing ding for the next brew. About to put on The raid 2 and relax. Hope you guys have a great day!

Jun 22nd, '14, 18:25

by debunix » Jun 22nd, '14, 18:25

Now enjoying a session with Jiri Mountain Hwang Cha from Morning Crane tea, brewed up in a shiboridashi by Shawn McGuire and drinking from one of his snowflake glaze teacups, which is gradually taking on a very pleasing stain, so that the snowflake pattern doesn't fade entirely when underwater (undertea?). The tea is fruity and earthy--delicious.

+ Post Reply