A Big Hello from California!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jun 22nd, '14, 17:56

by ShoyuPanda » Jun 22nd, '14, 17:56

Hi fellow TeaChatters!

I'm a tea novice, but I've been enjoying tea with family most of my life. I love to sip green tea or light Taiwanese oolong, but a big pot of roasty tie guan yin and some BBQ Pork (Chinese or American) = happy day.

I've been hiding out in the TeaChat forums for a little while soaking up knowledge, but finally I couldn't resist signing up! So many questions, so many new teas to try. The teaware section here is a bit dangerous though... too many lovely teapots calling to me. :shock:

I recently visited Red Blossom Tea in San Francisco since I read about it here. Yummy! Any folk have a favorite tea to try in Northern California?

Jun 22nd, '14, 18:17

Re: A Big Hello from California!

by debunix » Jun 22nd, '14, 18:17

Welcome!

It took me a lot of years to get beyond the Sea Dyke Ti Kuan Yin I used to get at Metro Market in SF's Chinatown. But since I didn't start drinking tea seriously until after I left the Bay Area, and now I mostly use online sources for my tea, no specific teas/shops to recommend. But I bet there's plenty of nice stuff out there.

Jun 22nd, '14, 22:46

by bonescwa » Jun 22nd, '14, 22:46

Don't underestimate sea dyke :)

Jun 22nd, '14, 22:55

by debunix » Jun 22nd, '14, 22:55

I don't--even today, I never run out of the Sea Dyke TKY. But there were a lot of years when I wouldn't drink any other tea, because the few times I branched out, I was disappointed, or worse. I didn't know how to find other good teas that I would like, or how to brew anything but the TKY. So, I've branched out from there, but not left my old faithful TKY behind.

Jun 23rd, '14, 02:17

by bonescwa » Jun 23rd, '14, 02:17

I've just been surprised about how good it actually is, very few roasted TKYs I've had can beat it for consistency and longevity. I read something on the lady who owns lifeinteacup's blog that a lot of the older Chinese tea drinkers stick with Sea Dyke for life and think everything else is pretty much a rip off

Jun 23rd, '14, 03:40

by debunix » Jun 23rd, '14, 03:40

When my father was first introduced to it by a Chinese friend from his calligraphy club, even the Sea Dyke TKY was hard to find consistently. He said that it used to be kept behind the counter and it was hard to convince the staff to sell it to him--he was obviously not not Chinese. The wonderful array of read we can enjoy in the west today were just not available. I don't remember any dedicated tea shops from our earliest trips to Chinatown, when we'd just walk up Grant and down Stockton streets, snacking from various shops along the way.

Jun 23rd, '14, 18:43

by ShoyuPanda » Jun 23rd, '14, 18:43

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I went looking for Sea Dyke TKY at my local Ranch 99 market today, but couldn't find any teas under that brand. I'm assuming I'm looking for a red tin of Sea Dyke brand TKY?

Any recommendations for a reliable online source for this tea? Otherwise I might have to look around Chinatown next time I'm there.

Jun 23rd, '14, 20:31

by debunix » Jun 23rd, '14, 20:31

Actually, I was quite surprised to find it available from Amazon recently.

Jun 23rd, '14, 20:51

by bonescwa » Jun 23rd, '14, 20:51

I'm about to take a day trip to nyc lately, hopefully I can fill a good part of a duffel with sea dyke tea :) for less than I'd pay on amazon :O

Jun 26th, '14, 15:39

by ShoyuPanda » Jun 26th, '14, 15:39

Cheers~! I managed to get a box of Sea Dyke Fujian TKY from an Uncle. Apparently other Asian markets in the area do carry Sea Dyke, just not my local Ranch 99.

Can't wait to try it out tonight! Is this the right TKY everyone was talking about? Should i be on the lookout for any other Sea Dyke teas?

Jun 26th, '14, 17:16

by bonescwa » Jun 26th, '14, 17:16

The kind I usually get has a picture of her on the box but it should be the same thing. As far as other sea dyke, I'm looking for the yellow can shui xian but I'm not willing to pay the eBay price. If anyone knows any big asian markets in NYC that would carry a lot of Sea Dyke I would appreciate it.

+ Post Reply