Shelvings

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 26th, '14, 11:02

Shelvings

by HifideliTea » Jun 26th, '14, 11:02

The shelves are made from strips of solid woods and was not intended to be painted, but I was voted out and it was painted deep red.

I intend to place carton boxes of pu erh toongs on the shelves, what is the best way to remove the smell of the paints and would placing the boxes cause any damage to the teas long term?

Thanks for advice.
Attachments
shelves.jpg
Painted shelves
shelves.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 2074 times

Jun 26th, '14, 11:15

Re: Shelvings

by kyarazen » Jun 26th, '14, 11:15

HifideliTea wrote:The shelves are made from strips of solid woods and was not intended to be painted, but I was voted out and it was painted deep red.

I intend to place carton boxes of pu erh toongs on the shelves, what is the best way to remove the smell of the paints and would placing the boxes cause any damage to the teas long term?

Thanks for advice.
bad choice bro, better not put anything on it unless it has been exposed for many years.

i had to throw a tea cake out simply because i temporarily put it for two weeks on top of my harbeth speaker where they use a veneer instead of solid wood... the speaker is over 4 years old already and despite that, still got the veneer+binding agent smell..! tea is super good at absorbing smells. fortunately was a cheap cake so it didnt matter that much..

if veneer is like this.. paint could be worse

Jun 26th, '14, 18:35
Vendor Member

by glenbo » Jun 26th, '14, 18:35

In your opinion, what kind of wood and what sort of wood treatment would be best for storing puerh long term?

Jun 26th, '14, 19:48

by AllanK » Jun 26th, '14, 19:48

If you are looking for a shelving unit for puerh, try the following.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... #/50278482

While this has a different name from the one I use I believe it is the same.
I have used these shelving units to store puerh in boxes for over a year. They have no observable odor in the color birch effect. I do not know about other colors. I imagine that being Ikea, it is available all over the world.

The only thing I do not know is if the model got more than a name change. They could have changed the varnish for all I know.

Jun 26th, '14, 20:31
Vendor Member

by glenbo » Jun 26th, '14, 20:31

Oh, cool. One of my shelves is the same one but a different shape. Also the color is black, and I hadn't noticed any perceptible odors.

Jun 26th, '14, 20:42

by bonescwa » Jun 26th, '14, 20:42

It wouldn't be the most a esthetically pleasing thing in the world but if you kept them in tight plastic storage bins and in their own ziploc bags (which is controversial in and of itself), after a suitable airing out period, I can't imagine there being much of an odor problem.

Jun 26th, '14, 20:45

by mr mopu » Jun 26th, '14, 20:45

Build a "Pumidor" for that Puerh! 8)

Jul 9th, '14, 07:25

by HifideliTea » Jul 9th, '14, 07:25

I have not smelled any paint odour since, apparently it is non toxic and odour free, but I will not take any risk by placing porcelain jars on the shelves instead. I'm putting a small quantity of puerh in a paper bag on the shelf and see what happens, if the tea smells of ICI...then I'll strip the paint off.
Apparently solid woods in it's raw form works best.

kyarazen, is the puerh quality affected by the music that comes out from your harbeth speakers? I try to avoid heavy metal, rap and C&W.....but you may prefer your teas with punch.

Jul 9th, '14, 13:25

by kyarazen » Jul 9th, '14, 13:25

HifideliTea wrote:I have not smelled any paint odour since, apparently it is non toxic and odour free, but I will not take any risk by placing porcelain jars on the shelves instead. I'm putting a small quantity of puerh in a paper bag on the shelf and see what happens, if the tea smells of ICI...then I'll strip the paint off.
Apparently solid woods in it's raw form works best.

kyarazen, is the puerh quality affected by the music that comes out from your harbeth speakers? I try to avoid heavy metal, rap and C&W.....but you may prefer your teas with punch.
i occasionally play some cai-qin, deng li jun and hope that it can make the tea age faster :lol:

+ Post Reply