Feb 26th, '14, 18:49

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » Feb 26th, '14, 18:49

yalokinh wrote: they are sooooo worth it
Definitely. When this TC TA SO shibo

was broken (cat-related accident), along with this yuzamashi

and I asked for something new in a similar style and got this 'gem' of a shibo that I'm using as I type this

(and the yuzamashi came at the same time). It took a while because he had to find the right clay again. Entirely worth the anticipation.

Feb 27th, '14, 17:05

by Fuut » Feb 27th, '14, 17:05

Oh yes, i found his photo albums. Very nice stuff indeed. Unfortunately I feel as if its going to take a few years before i can claim many new pieces. Though i have about 10 pieces that are in new state, i generally go after older chawans.

Though a large tea pot with a glaze like the ones you showed would be sweet to have. Maybe one day:)

Mar 7th, '14, 17:13

by woozl » Mar 7th, '14, 17:13

Some new warez by the misses :D

I likes the scoops :mrgreen:

will b away for much needed spring break more to follow.....

Mar 17th, '14, 12:23

by VanFersen » Mar 17th, '14, 12:23

My newest Yixing teapots. Thanks to a friend directly from China. Premium Sesame Duan Ni, Golden Zhuni and Quing Shui Ni ^_____~ Thanks to my wife my birthday gift.

Mar 17th, '14, 12:42

by debunix » Mar 17th, '14, 12:42

Do you have a translation for the inscription on the beautiful bird/lotus pot?

Mar 17th, '14, 17:35

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Mar 17th, '14, 17:35

VanFersen,

Wow! What a wife! Very nice gift! All three are very nice pieces!

Blessings!

Mar 17th, '14, 18:36

by VanFersen » Mar 17th, '14, 18:36

Thank you :). About the writings I am not sure what they mean sorry.

Apr 4th, '14, 10:35

by Streak » Apr 4th, '14, 10:35

I don't have an elaborate set-up or anything really unique and beautiful, as many of you have, but I bought this yixing pot in October 2010, and the purple (banko?) clay houjin and kyusu in early spring of 2011. Of course, it's possible (likely, even) that the Houjin and the Yixing aren't the types of clay they are purported to be, but I'm still happy to have them.

Oh, and, you also might be amused to know that I took pictures of each one as I received them, for the specific purpose of posting the photos here on teachat. It took 3.5 years, but finally...
tc1.jpg
tc1.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
The one I use the most is also the least expensive --the Houjin from Yukki-Cha (with apologies to Chip): http://www.yuuki-cha.com/teaware/japane ... hin-teapot] I have no way of knowing the clay quality, but I love how it brews Chinese (and Japanese, for that matter) greens. To my tastebuds, it's an improvement over brewing them in glass.

The Kyusu is from hojotea.com, and I have more faith that the clay is authentic. If I recall correctly, he had just started selling machined pieces for those who wanted the banko clay experience at a lower price point. I'm sure there are many benefits to having the much nicer, hand-made or partially hand-made kyusus, but factory machined and all, I still love the looks of this one and I love brewing gyo and sencha in it.

The Yixing was the most expensive, and it's had next to no use due the odd smell it has when wet. I've read that others here on the forum had similar issues (one described the smell as "like wet latex paint"), and it seems that their pots became usable over time, so I just brought mine out of storage and re-seasoned it. We'll see how that goes, but still, I don't regret buying it. The packaging is lovely and if nothing else, it's a nice decoration. :)

Apr 4th, '14, 11:30

by debunix » Apr 4th, '14, 11:30

A lovely set. And there's nothing 'wrong' with a fine mass produced piece that brews tea well and makes you happy.

Jul 8th, '14, 09:28
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jul 8th, '14, 09:28

debunix wrote:A lovely set. And there's nothing 'wrong' with a fine mass produced piece that brews tea well and makes you happy.

+1

we all start somewhere and decide where to go from that point. some find they are happy with simple utilitarian works that promise good function and a lot of economy, while others seek a more hand crafted touch using praised materials. I have always felt ceramics,especially in the tea world, walk a delicate line between fine art and utilitarian craft. The consumer being the one that decides in what direction the scale tips if at all.

I had that same houhin, I have long since traded it away for things more suited to my personal tastes but it brewed tea well and the clay was very good, fear not that it is anything less than banko clay. if I recall correctly it was a slip cast piece, the effects of slipcase vs. thrown or hand built are a source of great debate, and on a microscopic level their are perceivable differences, but that may be a divergent topic for another thread. I wouldn't hesitate to brew tea in those banko vessels given the opportunity.

Jul 8th, '14, 12:55

by Tead Off » Jul 8th, '14, 12:55

Streak wrote:I don't have an elaborate set-up or anything really unique and beautiful, as many of you have, but I bought this yixing pot in October 2010, and the purple (banko?) clay houjin and kyusu in early spring of 2011. Of course, it's possible (likely, even) that the Houjin and the Yixing aren't the types of clay they are purported to be, but I'm still happy to have them.

Oh, and, you also might be amused to know that I took pictures of each one as I received them, for the specific purpose of posting the photos here on teachat. It took 3.5 years, but finally...
tc1.jpg
The one I use the most is also the least expensive --the Houjin from Yukki-Cha (with apologies to Chip): http://www.yuuki-cha.com/teaware/japane ... hin-teapot] I have no way of knowing the clay quality, but I love how it brews Chinese (and Japanese, for that matter) greens. To my tastebuds, it's an improvement over brewing them in glass.

The Kyusu is from hojotea.com, and I have more faith that the clay is authentic. If I recall correctly, he had just started selling machined pieces for those who wanted the banko clay experience at a lower price point. I'm sure there are many benefits to having the much nicer, hand-made or partially hand-made kyusus, but factory machined and all, I still love the looks of this one and I love brewing gyo and sencha in it.

The Yixing was the most expensive, and it's had next to no use due the odd smell it has when wet. I've read that others here on the forum had similar issues (one described the smell as "like wet latex paint"), and it seems that their pots became usable over time, so I just brought mine out of storage and re-seasoned it. We'll see how that goes, but still, I don't regret buying it. The packaging is lovely and if nothing else, it's a nice decoration. :)
Can I ask where you purchased the Yixing teapot?

Jul 8th, '14, 14:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 8th, '14, 14:20

Tead Off wrote: Can I ask where you purchased the Yixing teapot?
Maybe YS?

Jul 11th, '14, 04:06

by hopeofdawn » Jul 11th, '14, 04:06

A bit of an impromptu tea-picnic out on my balcony. I consider it a bit of a dry run before trying to pack my alcohol stove and some teaware out to a local park for a more natural setting. :)

Not the best pictures in the world, I know ... Still, it was pretty fun, though I had forgotten how long it takes my water to boil on the stove--too used to instant electric-kettle gratification, I guess! And found out to my dismay that I had forgotten to have something to put a hot kettle on once it reached a boil--luckily, a handy flat decorative rock made for a good impromptu kettle-holder. The tea was a baked Taiwanese oolong, chosen for its forgiving nature--and my entpot from Petr performed like a champ, just like it always does. :mrgreen:

Jul 18th, '14, 14:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jul 18th, '14, 14:13

What a lovely set up! It is inspiring me to clean off my porch (something I haven't gotten around to yet this season.)

Jul 23rd, '14, 16:51

by bonjiri » Jul 23rd, '14, 16:51

hi all !

sharing a recent juicy matcha chawan !

cheers

cory Lum
Attachments
1smlFILEsml.jpg
1smlFILEsml.jpg (27.86 KiB) Viewed 2510 times

+ Post Reply