Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 29th, '14, 02:05

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 29th, '14, 02:05

After a busy morning holding a garage sale and clearing out clutter (always feels nice), my wife, sister-in-law, and I sit down to share tea and conversation in the tea room. We pour a #18 Hong Yu/紅玉 tea from Norbu, followed by an organic Pinglin Baozhong tea made from the Cui Yu cultivar that I picked up the day after it was harvested this spring in Taiwan, and then we move onto a quality Gao Shan wulong before we finish. It's a great time of tea, tasting, sharing stories, and connecting over three quality teas.

Blessings!

Jun 29th, '14, 08:54
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 29th, '14, 08:54

"charcoal firing is roasting", Teadoff.

Yes, thanks. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that when charcoal is used, it is noted specifically or the word "fired" is used instead of "roast".

Another conclusion I make, & again perhaps incorrectly, is that aged oolong is roasted unless specifically noted. This is my guess because I taste roasting. Is this how it is?

Jun 29th, '14, 12:06

by idler » Jun 29th, '14, 12:06

jayinhk wrote:ethan, that's some of my favorite 3 Stamp SX--electric roasted though, right here in HK. Definitely gives you quite the buzz and it's extremely tasty stuff. :)
where is everyone getting delicious shui xian from? after my stash runs out I'm thinking Jing Tea Shop for SX, it's zhengyan as well.

Jun 30th, '14, 18:02

by debunix » Jun 30th, '14, 18:02

A wonderfully fragrant session with Norbu's Ya Shi Fenghuang Oolong today: I was walking around with a small pitcher of it to share, and kept sniffing and wanting to drink it all before I got to all of my tea buddies. Floral, fragrant, mellow.

Jun 30th, '14, 22:52

by debunix » Jun 30th, '14, 22:52

This afternoon, Supreme Wuyi Big Red Robe (DHP) from Wing Hop Fung. It's another staple, like the SeaDyke TKY, reliable if rarely spectacular. It's brewed up in my Seong Il porcelain pot today for a change of pace, and nibbling at some dark chocolate is bringing out the sweet and fruity/floral notes along with the earthy deep roasted flavors. Enjoying from my scallop yunomi from the Splitfire Pottery TC TA SO. It takes several rounds of infusion to fill the large yunomi from the little pot, but as I'm still in the near flash-infusion early phase, it's easy to keep up.

Jul 1st, '14, 14:24

by Poseidon » Jul 1st, '14, 14:24

Afternoon all! Ive been away from the forum for a bit but ive been reading from time to time. Lately ive been enjoying Medium Roast Dong Ding Oolong at nights and it is pretty good. I like the roast on it but i think it would be much better with some age to it and maybe a re-roast in a few years.

How's the black dragon been treating you all lately?

Jul 1st, '14, 15:18

by debunix » Jul 1st, '14, 15:18

Treating me well. This was a few days back, enjoyed in the garden before work, winter harvest DYL from Origin Tea.

Jul 4th, '14, 12:30

by debunix » Jul 4th, '14, 12:30

Started the day with more of Norbu's Song Zhong, delicious, floral, sweet, hint of spice. Mmm.

Jul 7th, '14, 22:47

by kyarazen » Jul 7th, '14, 22:47

a tea with a price of $40/g. was very generously treated to some 1993 DHP over the weekend, brewed in 3 different vessels. 3 different presentations

in the flat purple clay, the tea was layered between steeps, the light osmanthus note coming out in the first brew, the orchid notes in the 3rd, with the underlying cinnamon note gradually increasing with intensity through the steeps. the brew was mellow, smooth, gentle.

in the shiragaki, the orchid notes came out in the first brew, the tea became "sharper" in characteristics, although the body was diminished as a result

in the red clay, the brew did not come out in layers between steeps, but layers within each brews itself. body was full, 韵味 was central

same tea, different vessels, extremely different outcomes :)

Jul 7th, '14, 22:58
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 7th, '14, 22:58

interesting, kyarzen

You never clearly stated simple judgement, such as "tasty" or "delicious".

May we infer? also guess that at $40 a gram you poured very carefully.

Thanks for the post.

Jul 7th, '14, 23:12

by kyarazen » Jul 7th, '14, 23:12

ethan wrote:interesting, kyarzen

You never clearly stated simple judgement, such as "tasty" or "delicious".

May we infer? also guess that at $40 a gram you poured very carefully.

Thanks for the post.
would rather leave it to be inferred though. words cannot easily transmit taste, aroma, and experience.

wasnt brewed by me but a local tea master. an innocent and curious request from me, and a very generous tea master whom's always willing to teach and share. the 1993 DHP was one of the best handmade DHPs imported and was shared amongst several big local tea merchants. the leaf size was huge, easily twice the size of modern yanchas.

more interestingly, with the proper storage over the past twenty years, the aging had resulted in some kind of "central-weighing" refinement, very stoic tea, aromas, characteristics are clear and grounded. it is a taste and an enjoyment that i hope to be able to revisit one day

Jul 17th, '14, 03:04

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 17th, '14, 03:04

Started the morning with some Japanese sustainably farmed Fukamushi and then headed off to teach gong fu. Came home from class and settled into some nice rounds of Taiwanese Dayuling from the previous winter before moving onto an organic Taiwan Organic Baozhong from the Pinglin area made from the Cui Yu cultivar. I purchased this tea from the farmer this spring in Taiwan with Petr and Daniel.

Both teas were really nice, the first brewed in a newer Petr teapot from the show in Poland and the second brewed in a Taiwan red clay teapot picked up a few days after I purchased the Baozhong tea; this Taiwan red clay pot really brews green wulongs well and today was no exception. I brewed the tea with Fiji water and poured it from a 1910 silver kyusu and saved a little in different cups from each round to taste cool after the pour. Quality Baozhong tea and very different from Baozhongs made from Qing Xin Da Mou, Si Ji Chun, etc.! The tea goes and goes and with a rich huigan across the rounds.

Blessings!

Jul 17th, '14, 12:35

by kyarazen » Jul 17th, '14, 12:35

quiet afternoon with a taiwanese oolong red tea

Jul 18th, '14, 03:06

by hopeofdawn » Jul 18th, '14, 03:06

kyarazen wrote:Image

quiet afternoon with a taiwanese oolong red tea
Love the subtle grace and movement of the tea boat in that picture...

Jul 18th, '14, 23:11

by Muadeeb » Jul 18th, '14, 23:11

I'm drinking some sweet Spring 2013 Lishan from Red Blossom right now, as I am placing my order for 5 Da Hong Pao samples from Yunnan sourcing. I hope to find one good one I can buy a bunch of and let some of it age.

About a year ago, I was ordering a tea tray from DTH and added a $5 bag of their brand of Da Hong Pao, 4 oz or so. It was my first time trying a wuyi tea, so I figured it would be an economical way to see if I liked the style. It was actually very very good with a pronounced chocolate note and full body. When I bought another bag of the same tea a couple months ago, it just wasn't the same. :x

+ Post Reply