DaHongPao and XiaoHongPao

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

DaHongPao and XiaoHongPao

Postby teaisgood » Jan 26th, '08, 20:31

I have a questsion. What is the difference between Dahongpao and XiaoHongPao. I have been told that the Dahongpao is 1-3 generations from the mother tree and XiaoHongPao is more than 3 generations. But an essay by Chen DeHua, the famous DaHongPao planter says that there is no generation differences in comercialized DaHongPao since they are all transplanted without genetic variations from the original 4 mother plants. Then what makes XiaoHongPao and how is it different from DaHongPao?
teaisgood

Postby scruffmcgruff » Jan 27th, '08, 13:34

From what I understood, virtually everything sold commercially as "Da Hong Pao" should be called "Xiao Hong Pao," but people stick with the first name because it sounds more prestigious. I'm not at all an expert though– that's just what I've read.
scruffmcgruff

Postby Salsero » Jan 27th, '08, 14:19

There have been a couple of interesting posts on this topic lately. Imen, the owner of Tea Habitat in Palos Verdes, CA, in her TeaObsession website tries to untangle the names for us at

http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -many.html

And Guang, owner of Hou De Asian Art in Houston, TX, recently posted some information that casts doubt on the identity and existence of the "original" Da Hong Pao bushes. You can read about that at

http://houdeblog.com/?p=98
Salsero

thanks for the reply

Postby teaisgood » Jan 27th, '08, 20:33

Thx. The articles help a lot. But, even the tea shops on Wuyi mountain, serves DHP and XHP. So, what distinction would they use?
teaisgood

Postby Salsero » Jan 27th, '08, 20:54

Beats me! I only provide the links, not the answers! But I would love to drink ANY tea in that gorgeous location in the Wuyi mountains.

Have you actually been there? I am so jealous. Take me next time!
Salsero

Wuyi

Postby teaisgood » Jan 28th, '08, 20:12

No, I have never been there. It is one of the places on my list to visit. I saw the tea menu on some videos that introduces the region. Thx for the help.
teaisgood

Postby hop_goblin » Jan 29th, '08, 15:27

Did you guys read Guang's lates blog entry about DHP? Interesting.
hop_goblin

Postby Selaphiel » Feb 6th, '08, 07:48

I was thinking about ordering some Da Hang Pao. Anyone have any experience with the jing tea shop? (www.jingteashop.com)

The alternative would be seven cups, but jing tea shop has a pot I would like as well :p
Selaphiel

Postby Salsero » Feb 6th, '08, 09:59

Although I've never tried their DHP, I have ordered other things from them. They are a reliable and quality source. I've heard good things about Seven Cups, but have never ordered from them.
Salsero

Postby Selaphiel » Feb 6th, '08, 10:18

Thanks your answer
Selaphiel

Postby ABx » Feb 6th, '08, 11:27

Both have great Wuyi's, but Jing has something of a reputation for having some of the best Wuyi around :) I've never been disappointed by anything I've gotten from Jing, the only downside being that it can take a while to get your shipment.
ABx

Instant Messenger

Permissions