Jul 25th, '14, 00:18

Is there one teapot suitable for most chinese tea?

by gunbuster363 » Jul 25th, '14, 00:18

I am looking for a teapot which is suitable for most chinese tea because we don't have much space left in our tea cupboard.

I am going to brew Chinese green, oolong and red tea.

I think I am going to using this:

However, the interior filter cup is made of PC (plastic) and I don't like hot water reacting with plastic. :evil:

Jul 25th, '14, 00:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Is there one teapot suitable for most chinese tea?

by the_economist » Jul 25th, '14, 00:33

Use a porcelain teapot, or better yet, a gaiwan.

Jul 25th, '14, 07:37

Is there one teapot suitable for most chinese tea?

by mcrdotcom » Jul 25th, '14, 07:37

the_economist wrote:Use a porcelain teapot, or better yet, a gaiwan.
+1

A porcelain teapot for western brewing, and a Gaiwan for gongfu brews I'd say :)

Jul 25th, '14, 08:08

by Poseidon » Jul 25th, '14, 08:08

The downfall of the large tea infusers like youre showing is how large they are; unless you are making tea for 2 or more people. I would get one for the fridge if i was making iced green or oolong but if you are only making tea for you, I would certainly get a smaller porcelain pot.

I think porcelain tastes the best anyway... :mrgreen:

Jul 25th, '14, 11:49

by gunbuster363 » Jul 25th, '14, 11:49

Actually I quite like the clever push-button pour to separate the tea from the leaves. Also the comfortable handle. The only downside is the PC inner container which I am not sure of.

I don't like gaiwan because there are 3 pieces. In this way, you need to use a box to carry it around workplace.

Porcelain pot... always has a fatty fat fat size :evil:

Jul 25th, '14, 11:52

by Poseidon » Jul 25th, '14, 11:52

gunbuster363 wrote:Actually I quite like the clever push-button pour to separate the tea from the leaves. Also the comfortable handle. The only downside is the PC inner container which I am not sure of.

I don't like gaiwan because there are 3 pieces. In this way, you need to use a box to carry it around workplace.

Porcelain pot... always has a fatty fat fat size :evil:
what size are you wanting for a pot? Obviously not fatty fat size :lol:

Jul 25th, '14, 12:45

by gunbuster363 » Jul 25th, '14, 12:45

I am used to small kyusu size say 210ml up to 300ml because I might also serve my mother tea sometimes 8)

Jul 25th, '14, 12:57

by Bef » Jul 25th, '14, 12:57

gunbuster363 wrote:Porcelain pot... always has a fatty fat fat size :evil:
I suggest that you have a look at the teapots on Taiwan Tea Crafts. They have some that are very small...

Jul 25th, '14, 13:06

by Poseidon » Jul 25th, '14, 13:06

gunbuster363 wrote:I am used to small kyusu size say 210ml up to 300ml because I might also serve my mother tea sometimes 8)
https://www.taiwanteacrafts.com/product/modern-teapot/

:) They have TONS of other awesome pots that would fit what you want. This was the first i saw that wasnt 100+ in your range.

Jul 25th, '14, 14:27

by debunix » Jul 25th, '14, 14:27

Many of our own Teaware Artisans here make lovely small pots with glazed interiors that are suitable for a wide range of teas.

I just happened to bring a small Petr Novak pot to work with me today--about 80mL working volume, glazed interior, and so far working well with green, oolong, and puerh teas.

Jul 27th, '14, 05:36

by gunbuster363 » Jul 27th, '14, 05:36

Poseidon wrote:
gunbuster363 wrote:I am used to small kyusu size say 210ml up to 300ml because I might also serve my mother tea sometimes 8)

:) They have TONS of other awesome pots that would fit what you want. This was the first i saw that wasnt 100+ in your range.

Thanks, it DOES look good. Let me see if the shipping price is reasonable and available to Hong Kong.

Jul 27th, '14, 10:35
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 27th, '14, 10:35

So you live in Hong Kong. I don't suppose you are one of the billionaires that ride in a Rolls Royce that has ten labels of clubs to which you belong on your car's windows to show you have enough $ to pay the initiation fees.
So now that I am finished joking (& seriously it is a joke to be shared, I am not mocking you); how could you not notice shops & shops & shops that sell teapots? I found shopowners to be rude, expecting me to know what I wanted when I came in & definitely to buy something, not just look. Nonetheless, I did look & did not buy what I did not like, but I often found something that I liked. If I had made a mistake, at least the item looked good & was cheap.
I have not been there in 20 years but would bet you could buy a glazed pot that you like for less than the shipping cost of getting one sent to you. I have a gaiwan w/o a bottom saucer. It is thicker than most & the supporting O on the bottom & top protrude > most gaiwans, allowing me not to burn myself.
Good luck in your search.

Jul 27th, '14, 22:16

by gunbuster363 » Jul 27th, '14, 22:16

ethan wrote:So you live in Hong Kong. I don't suppose you are one of the billionaires that ride in a Rolls Royce that has ten labels of clubs to which you belong on your car's windows to show you have enough $ to pay the initiation fees.
So now that I am finished joking (& seriously it is a joke to be shared, I am not mocking you); how could you not notice shops & shops & shops that sell teapots? I found shopowners to be rude, expecting me to know what I wanted when I came in & definitely to buy something, not just look. Nonetheless, I did look & did not buy what I did not like, but I often found something that I liked. If I had made a mistake, at least the item looked good & was cheap.
I have not been there in 20 years but would bet you could buy a glazed pot that you like for less than the shipping cost of getting one sent to you. I have a gaiwan w/o a bottom saucer. It is thicker than most & the supporting O on the bottom & top protrude > most gaiwans, allowing me not to burn myself.
Good luck in your search.
The local store owners are just RUDE.

What I don't like about local store is the "information asymmetry" - They know more about the products than you do and they are not telling you until you ask. They just want to sell the stuff and praise their product.

Most of the time they do not have a price tag on the product. What you ask about the price, it could be unreasonably high. And when you state that you won't buy the stuff, the owners would give you a look - they don't like you and think you are wasting their time.

Then they will show you another one, and you might not like it either and you turn it down again. After several times, the shop owner might tell you to leave.

This is why I like online store even-though they are overseas. They show the price properly and I could judge whether the price is reasonable including shipping and whether I could afford it. I would risk the possible outcome that the real stuff don't fit the description on the website. But most of the time, reputable online store is reliable.

Jul 28th, '14, 00:31

by gunbuster363 » Jul 28th, '14, 00:31

debunix wrote:Many of our own Teaware Artisans here make lovely small pots with glazed interiors that are suitable for a wide range of teas.

I just happened to bring a small Petr Novak pot to work with me today--about 80mL working volume, glazed interior, and so far working well with green, oolong, and puerh teas.
But they are not selling the teapot, do they? Also they most likely do not have stock available anytime and cannot compare to stores. Also artisan work is usually priced highly because of their wonderful craftsmanship. :|

Sometimes I might just want a teapot that works and doesn't hurt my wallet.

Jul 28th, '14, 03:05

by gunbuster363 » Jul 28th, '14, 03:05

From these 2 teapot which one do you think best? I've order some dancong and wuyi oolong ( waiting for shipment ) and various green/white tea from other vendor.

The website said the turret teapot pour fast, however, what kind of filter does it has? If there are no filter, the tea leaves might come out along the tea if it has a wide opening. :roll:

https://www.taiwanteacrafts.com/product ... er-teapot/

+ Post Reply