Herbal Tea for a Japanese Green Tea Lover?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jul 22nd, '14, 22:11

by daidokorocha » Jul 22nd, '14, 22:11

Hello,

The world of herbal tea is so vast beyond what you can get at your local supermarket. I've tried quite a few herbal teas in my life, but I can't even pretend that I have scratched the surface. I'm always on the look out for new flavors to enjoy and this got me to thinking. Are there any herbal teas that you think would be particularly beloved by someone who loves Japanese greens far above and beyond all else? Any that share similarities in any respect?

Jul 22nd, '14, 23:47

Re: Herbal Tea for a Japanese Green Tea Lover?

by debunix » Jul 22nd, '14, 23:47

I can't think of a specific flavor profile that would match herbal teas to Japanese green teas, but I do think many people who like herbal as well as standard Camellia sinensis teas could have fun with a gift set of herbal tea components, to be mixed and matched according to their preference--then you're giving them a gift of exploration and creativity and don't have to worry that your mixture happens to include one ingredient they just don't like.

Basic starter ingredients, often available in bulk in health food stores--and some much less expensively at ethnic groceries--would include

dried hibiscus flowers (inexpensive at hispanic markets, also called jamaica) for tart/fruity zing

Chamomile for calming earthy flavor (again much cheaper in bulk in ethnic markets)

licorice root for sweetness

lemon grass or dried lemon peel

spearmint and/or peppermint

cinnamon sticks

cloves

Jul 25th, '14, 18:50

by daidokorocha » Jul 25th, '14, 18:50

Thanks for the post, debunix. Clove tea is definitely something I'll plan on trying.

Still, I almost find it hard to believe that there aren't any herbal teas out there that are reminiscent of the bitterness or the grassy, vegetal nature of many steamed greens!

Jul 25th, '14, 19:26

by debunix » Jul 25th, '14, 19:26

I'm sure there are, but I don't know them.

Jul 25th, '14, 20:48

by daidokorocha » Jul 25th, '14, 20:48

I will continue my search! Thank you for the replies, debunix.

+ Post Reply