Gongfu Brewing Green Teas

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 18th, '14, 02:21

by Dylan1117 » May 18th, '14, 02:21

Hey Everyone! :)

I'm relatively new to the world of Tea (a year give or take) and have found that I enjoy nearly every tea brewed in my little Gaiwan (around 120 ml) with around 5 grams of leaf.

My problem is Green Teas. I really like Chinese Greens, but if I brew them at that ratio they become really bitter. I reduced my ratio for Greens to 4 grams, which is a lot better but some of my teas still come out a little too bitter for my tastes (and I actually like a little bitterness).

I was wondering what I could be doing so wrong?

May 18th, '14, 03:07

Re: Gongfu Brewing Green Teas

by debunix » May 18th, '14, 03:07

To avoid bitterness in green teas, you can:
change the tea (An Ji Bai Cha is the least bitter of those I've tried)
decrease the leaf : water ratio
shorten the infusions
cool the water temperature especially in the early infusions

I doubt you're doing anything 'so wrong', but if your palate is like mine, you may be happier with 2 grams, or much shorter/cooler infusions.

May 18th, '14, 03:08
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 18th, '14, 03:08

How hot are you brewing them?

May 18th, '14, 03:12

by PaddyB » May 18th, '14, 03:12

Have you taken the temperature into account? High temperatures (around 100 °C) that are usually used for oolong or pu erh will "burn" most of the greens. I would first try to reduce the temperature to 80 or 70 °C (higher quality teas, such as gyokuro or dragon well, require lower temperatures, whereas in my experience a generic gunpowder can take up to 85°C). Also, I think quantity is a secondary issue, but by all means experiment with that. Another thing I would try is brewing it with the lid open, so that temperature can drop a little during steeping (and I presume you don't steep for more than a minute).
But in the and, I figured out there are some teas that get bitter no matter what you do with them. In some cases this is intentional but most of the time I think of it as a sign of low quality product.
Hope that helps and have fun discovering tea!

May 19th, '14, 21:40

by gunbuster363 » May 19th, '14, 21:40

My 2 cents:

Bitterness usually comes from several brewing mistakes:
1) Temperature is too high ( 70 degree C is a good parameter for most green tea )
2) Brew time is too long
3) High leaves to water ratio but I think 1) and 2) dominate most cases.

In my opinion, you should try 0.7g per 1 ounce of water for green tea, that is about 2.1g for you gaiwan. ( 1 ounce ~= 30ml )

For gyokuro, use 1g-1.4g per 1 ounce of water.

May 20th, '14, 04:10

by chrl42 » May 20th, '14, 04:10

I often use 120ml Gaiwan for greens no problem. (the high-qualities)

Yet the temperature has to be little lower and take a quick time to brew (ignore those 2~3 min. instructions) :D

May 20th, '14, 07:18

by mcrdotcom » May 20th, '14, 07:18

I +1 all the above posts.

I'll add in that I prefer brewing my greens "grand pa" style! I throw some in a glass tumbler, fill with 70-80 degree water, and constantly top up as I go along! Works best with Long Jing I think :)

The fun in tea is the experimentation! I know it can be frustrating when a tea is horrible and you can't seem to fix it, but honestly, it's more rewarding to experiment yourself and find a solution that suits your tastes best!

You said you lowed the tea:water ratio by a gram, well other teas may require it lowered even more, a change in water temperature etc...

If you have some free time and small gaiwan (60-90mL) then you can have some fun fine tuning the brewing parameters for your green teas without wasting too much :)

I'm not suggesting it's bad to ask about this by the way! I always asks these sorts of questions, but I've learned over the last year that, taking the suggestions as a vague guideline and then experimenting until I find the perfect parameters is always the most helpful :)

Hope your tea tastes nice, and remember, always trust your instincts and palette, if you feel you need to deviate from the guidelines, do so! :)

Aug 5th, '14, 02:49

by Se7en8ight » Aug 5th, '14, 02:49

Hi All,

I was very much an over-steeper. Comes from me being served --brace yourself-- Lipton tea bags perpetually marinating in a hot pot of water growing up.

What are your thoughts on "Strip Style" Brewing for Green Teas?

I fill my vessel halfway with green tea, then strip brew. So far so good but do let me know if there is a better way to maximize the flavor profile of these types of teas.

Aug 5th, '14, 09:12

by Evan Draper » Aug 5th, '14, 09:12

Se7en8ight wrote:What are your thoughts on "Strip Style" Brewing for Green Teas?
I like to leave my clothes on while drinking tea.

Aug 5th, '14, 09:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Aug 5th, '14, 09:41

Evan Draper wrote:
Se7en8ight wrote:What are your thoughts on "Strip Style" Brewing for Green Teas?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aug 5th, '14, 09:47

by Se7en8ight » Aug 5th, '14, 09:47

Evan Draper wrote:
You don't know what you are missing :lol:

Aug 5th, '14, 18:48

by AdamMY » Aug 5th, '14, 18:48

Se7en8ight wrote:
Evan Draper wrote:
Could have been interesting some of the times I've had people over for tea. But that would be a tough sell when initiating someone to tea... "Oh yeah, and I forgot to tell you, you remove an article of clothing with each steep." :shock:

Aug 6th, '14, 00:19

by Se7en8ight » Aug 6th, '14, 00:19

AdamMY wrote:
Se7en8ight wrote:
Evan Draper wrote:
Could have been interesting some of the times I've had people over for tea. But that would be a tough sell when initiating someone to tea... "Oh yeah, and I forgot to tell you, you remove an article of clothing with each steep." :shock:
:lol: pow chiki wowow

Aug 8th, '14, 21:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 8th, '14, 21:50

I'm in Hainan drinking the locally grown green tea, and it's pretty good. Tea vendors here gongfu it in gaiwans and rinse, but use a lower temp with excellent results. I've been doing the same, but my tea bowl seems to subdue the flavors; cup shape absolutely makes a difference.

78...Strip-style brewing? Ano yan bro?

Aug 9th, '14, 00:34

by Se7en8ight » Aug 9th, '14, 00:34

jayinhk wrote: 78...Strip-style brewing? Ano yan bro?
LOL @ ano yan bro?

Rapid 10-second-ish steeps with slightly more leaves or less water than recommended. I dunno what gong fu style its called...

78 :P

+ Post Reply