Highest antioxidant level black tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 25th, '06, 19:22

Highest antioxidant level black tea?

by ivy424 » Jul 25th, '06, 19:22

Could anyone recommend a brand of black tea that has a documented high level of antioxidants? Ideally, I'm looking for something that is easy to find. All responses would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jul 25th, '06, 21:44

Here we go...

by keelyn » Jul 25th, '06, 21:44

Looking for an easy-to-find brand? Try Adagio Tea. In fact, you just found it.

Highest antioxidant level black tea? In the world of tea, this is an oxymoron. Black tea is the most processed and therefore has the least antioxidants. But some antioxidants are still there and so are their effects. Just not as many antioxidants as say, a white tea. Even the differences b/w these teas aren't terribly great.

Which high-antioxidant black adagio tea? Well, the Darjeelings and the Yunnan Gold don't look as burnt to hell as the others. However, I tried Adagio's first flush darjeeling and I thought it was a green tea, so if you're looking for a solid black go for the yunnan gold. Everyone seems to like it a great deal.

Looking for documentation? I'd be happy to begin research if you would be generous enough to offer me a grant for scientific study on this topic.

One more thing: please, please, please don't drink tea only for health effects. It tastes good, too, you know.

Jul 26th, '06, 10:05

by ivy424 » Jul 26th, '06, 10:05

Not to worry, I drink tea first and foremost because I love the taste of it. I just thought that while I'm drinking it, I would try to find the one with the highest heath benefits.

I came across this on a few sites about teas. That's when I posted my question to see if anyone knew more information. Thank you for your response!

In measuring the catechin content of a variety of green and black teas that were brewed for about 3 minutes each, Henning and colleagues found levels as high as 217 milligrams for Celestial Seasonings Green Tea, 201 milligrams for Lipton Green Tea, 164 milligrams for Bigelow Darjeeling Blend (black tea) and 157 milligrams for Uncle Lee's Green Tea.

On the lower end, they found 53 milligrams of catechins in Stash Premium Green Tea Decaf, 46 milligrams in Twinings Earl Grey Black Tea, 38 milligrams in Bigelow Constant Comment (black tea) and just 10 milligrams in Bigelow Constant Comment Decaf.

Aug 9th, '06, 12:01

by Madam Potts » Aug 9th, '06, 12:01

Have you tried a darker oolong (wuyi, Tikuanyin) instead of black?
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

Aug 9th, '06, 13:57

by ivy424 » Aug 9th, '06, 13:57

No, I haven't but I'll give it a try - thank you!

Aug 9th, '06, 17:55

by keelyn » Aug 9th, '06, 17:55

I found that article you mentioned (my google-fu is strong!). It's actually quite interesting.

What I found most interesting is this :
"Most scientists that really have studied this have found that the number of antioxidants in black tea are actually higher than what are found in green tea."

This pretty much turns everything upside down as to what most of us have read about antioxidant content in tea. Very interesting stuff and this claim is further explained in the article.

By the way, did you notice how few antioxidants were in the Stash green tea? I bet the decaffeination process can remove/destroy antioxidants as well as caffeine.

Aug 9th, '06, 20:53

by ivy424 » Aug 9th, '06, 20:53

Yes, I did notice this and also found it interesting! Thank you for your imput and interest.

Aug 6th, '14, 04:47

Re: Highest antioxidant level black tea?

by Sarai » Aug 6th, '14, 04:47

As far as I know off the top of my head, Darjeeling and English Breakfast are the two black teas with the highest antioxidant level, both ranging from about 46 milligrams of antioxidants at the minimum per cup of tea.

Aug 7th, '14, 08:47

by Poseidon » Aug 7th, '14, 08:47

Sarai wrote:As far as I know off the top of my head, Darjeeling and English Breakfast are the two black teas with the highest antioxidant level, both ranging from about 46 milligrams of antioxidants at the minimum per cup of tea.
Really? a thread from 8 years ago? :roll:

Aug 7th, '14, 18:54

by Sarai » Aug 7th, '14, 18:54

Poseidon wrote:
Sarai wrote:As far as I know off the top of my head, Darjeeling and English Breakfast are the two black teas with the highest antioxidant level, both ranging from about 46 milligrams of antioxidants at the minimum per cup of tea.
Really? A thread bumping elitist and watchman? :roll:

Aug 8th, '14, 08:16

by Poseidon » Aug 8th, '14, 08:16

Sarai wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Really? A thread bumping elitist and watchman? :roll:
Ill overlook your tone and let you have fun giving horrible advice to get your post count up. You realize that in every forum this (thread necromancy) is made fun of right? Expect to get your balls busted if you do it.

+ Post Reply