Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 12th, '14, 09:58
Vendor Member

Re: Official Pu of the day

by ethan » Aug 12th, '14, 09:58

Puerlife, It sounds like having variety around & exploring varieties is important to you; yet, you know one specific type could take care of you. It is a good feeling to know there is a tea that works for one over & over, isn't it?

Aug 12th, '14, 10:08

by Puerlife » Aug 12th, '14, 10:08

Hi Ethan, Actually, the Red Yiwu, although magical for my friend every time, was only amazing for me a couple of times so I've stashed it to give my palate time to think about it. But I keep going back to a couple of semi-aged shengs I found in Malaysia, as well as the 2013 Bang Dong from the Bangkok vendor. We also started today with 2012 GFZ which I did a session with a month ago and really liked but my palate now needs more than cooling, tingling and a bit of sweetness; it needs FLAVOR. Either gushu or a cheap semi-aged sheng with a fermented taste, I gots to have it.

Aug 12th, '14, 13:01

by Tead Off » Aug 12th, '14, 13:01

Puerlife wrote:My conclusions is that when I'm choosing 'drink now' young sheng, maocha is a compelling option if my sample of one is an accurate indication.
This would ordinarily not be my choice of young sheng. I find new maocha particularly weak and not having the qualities that a bing gives. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Have you also noticed that sometimes a tea will not taste the same from one day to another? I think our own chemistry affects how we taste. It's another reason for me to taste a tea several times before making any conclusion.

Aug 12th, '14, 14:07

by BW85 » Aug 12th, '14, 14:07

Tead Off wrote:
Puerlife wrote:My conclusions is that when I'm choosing 'drink now' young sheng, maocha is a compelling option if my sample of one is an accurate indication.
This would ordinarily not be my choice of young sheng. I find new maocha particularly weak and not having the qualities that a bing gives. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Have you also noticed that sometimes a tea will not taste the same from one day to another? I think our own chemistry affects how we taste. It's another reason for me to taste a tea several times before making any conclusion.
I definitely agree that your body chemistry from day to day will have some effect on how you taste a tea. I also think expectation will play a part. If you have an amazing, mind blowing session with a particular tea, and then the next time you sit down with that tea and remember how fantastic it was and expect to have the same mind blowing session this time, it will often lead to disappointment. It's easy to set the bar too high in your own mind. I've tried to teach myself to always drink a tea like I'm drinking it for the first time, even if I've had dozens of sessions with it.

Aug 12th, '14, 18:48

by Da Hong Pao » Aug 12th, '14, 18:48

solananl wrote:It is probably the same tea listed here: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4284674893 Haven't seen it at western vendors.
I found that yesterday too, saw that it was listed as an '05. I researched '05 instead of '04 but didn't have any luck. I did not pay anywhere near that much for my cake and I doubt it would have gone up that much in price, but maybe. You think somebody from here would've seen this cake, I definitely got it from a vendor I found through Teachat.

Aug 13th, '14, 06:46

by Puerlife » Aug 13th, '14, 06:46

I'm glad you wrote that. This happens so often with me I thought there was something wrong with me. Someday I'm going to keep a diet/tea journal and see what causes and effects jump out. I'm sure one could exercise/sleep/meditation/weather/etc journal as well. For all I know some Chinese master has figured all this out hundreds of years ago.
I definitely agree that your body chemistry from day to day will have some effect on how you taste a tea. I also think expectation will play a part. If you have an amazing, mind blowing session with a particular tea, and then the next time you sit down with that tea and remember how fantastic it was and expect to have the same mind blowing session this time, it will often lead to disappointment. It's easy to set the bar too high in your own mind. I've tried to teach myself to always drink a tea like I'm drinking it for the first time, even if I've had dozens of sessions with it.
Well said. I will keep this in mind.

Aug 13th, '14, 06:52

by Puerlife » Aug 13th, '14, 06:52

I saved the GFZ from yesterday, which I'd only done six infusions with, and did nine more today. It performed pretty well, yielding lots of gushu flavor couched in Yiwu gentleness and sweetness. It's a lot easier to enjoy without a friend across the table making faces about it.

Aug 16th, '14, 14:44

by kyarazen » Aug 16th, '14, 14:44

having a 07' he kai gushi now.. :lol: sweetened up quite significantly in storage, although when pushing it hard the bitter edge appears. nevertheless.. yums :D

Aug 17th, '14, 08:22

by gasninja » Aug 17th, '14, 08:22

2002 menghai 8502. This has the taste of a much older 8582. I am sorry I did not buy a cake when I had the chance.

Aug 17th, '14, 14:08

by JakubT » Aug 17th, '14, 14:08

Some teas I had recently:

White2tea's New Amerykah 2 - wow, strong stuff. Despite the purpoted focus on fullness rather than bitterness, I find it not that full and really rather bitter... but not bad - it's quite nice, much enjoyed by my wife today.

White2tea's 2007 Repave - hm, that one seems to suffer from compressed-after-long-time-loose - I will have to work with it further to see if I can squeeze some juice out of it. So far, it was too hollow to be much enjoyable

White2tea's 2012 Giant Steps - I had it for a second time to verify that it's really that good - and it is still fantalicious - deep, rich, sweet, good qi and cheap-ish too. It does not carry a significant kick bitterness-wise, but I do not mind that. There is some autumnal character to it, but it all works very nicely together nevertheless.

Aug 17th, '14, 16:18

by shah82 » Aug 17th, '14, 16:18

Giant Steps is out of stock.

Aug 17th, '14, 16:54

by JakubT » Aug 17th, '14, 16:54

Unfortunately yes - I'd buy some if it was not.

Aug 17th, '14, 17:41

by shah82 » Aug 17th, '14, 17:41

I went straight over there to drool at it and fantasize about being able to buy some, and lo! Can't even dream about buying it! ?:~)

Aug 18th, '14, 04:49

by Rui » Aug 18th, '14, 04:49

At the moment I am sipping a pu-erh from TenRen.

Aug 18th, '14, 17:54

by Tofsla » Aug 18th, '14, 17:54

Ca. 15 y.o. Che Shun Hao discovered by MarshalN. It would be clear why this tea is so cheap, if I did not know so many more expensive ones that never deliver even as much, as this one occasionally does. I am through two thirds of the bing, and the very best sessions with this tea - only three or four of them - were very bright, with longan fruit notes and more. But even its average performance, while nothing exceptional, is ok for an average day, lke, when one's at work. Today's session was also ok, with some qi, pleasant chocolaty fruitiness on early steepings, a little excessive astringency on the later ones (maybe, due to over-steeping), and almost no aftertaste - still, I rather enjoyed it.

+ Post Reply