Jul 3rd, '14, 09:11

NYT: Teabox Seeks to Bring India’s Teas Into Modern Era

by beforewisdom » Jul 3rd, '14, 09:11

Interesting New York Times article about how a company called Teabox aims to modernize distribution and marketing in India's tea industry, some of which still do things as they were done during the colonial era.

Of interest is the point about how many amazing teas are simply not enjoyed because they are perishable and how under the current system it can take months to reach the consumer:

Jul 3rd, '14, 11:00

by bonescwa » Jul 3rd, '14, 11:00

That's all well and good that they want to change things, but I wish the New York Times wouldn't be writing about tea. I'm noticing it more and more, they even had an article about tea in Men's Health magazine. I want this to stay unpopular in America because if the stupid hipsters get a hold of this like they did for craft beer (it is basically tailor made for them) they will drive up prices because they pay stupid prices for things that they have no idea about.

Jul 3rd, '14, 11:24
Vendor Member

Re: NYT: Teabox Seeks to Bring India’s Teas Into Modern Era

by ethan » Jul 3rd, '14, 11:24

There are too many places between tea gardens & us for tea to be stuck in < ideal conditions. There are many ways to have a problem, but not as many people willing to handle the challenges.
The founders of Jun Chiyabari find dealing w/ all of the steps in detail is necessary for consistency. After I had their tea from Nepal coming to me directly after it was packed in foil bags, it was sitting at Customs in JFK. Fortunately, I was advised by Jun Chiyabari that at this end I should get on the broker myself. Fortunately, I did get the broker to go get the package out & to me; & also the customs building was air-conditioned, dry etc.
I hand-carried kilograms of tea while in Thailand & then back to the USA. I'm glad I did, 2 years later it is as good as it was when I bought it.
Yet, some may not be as impressed w/ my pampered, favorite teas as I am. Interesting to see how well Teabox does.
+1 to comments of bonescra. Mass media & advertising seem to brink out the worst effects. Walked by a Starbucks & saw signs for Teavana & "Shaken" Ice Tea.

Jul 3rd, '14, 20:47
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 3rd, '14, 20:47

Wish I'd known about them last week--express shipping within India is only $1!

EDIT: they are doing free shipping on orders over $25. Might be interesting to pick up some Indian greens.

Jul 9th, '14, 09:44

Re:

by MEversbergII » Jul 9th, '14, 09:44

I'll check them out; have been wanting to expand my experiences with Indian teas.
bonescwa wrote:I want this to stay unpopular in America because if the stupid hipsters get a hold of this like they did for craft beer (it is basically tailor made for them) they will drive up prices because they pay stupid prices for things that they have no idea about.
I share this sentiment. Anyone for some "Artisan Crafted" CTC "oolong"?

M

Jul 9th, '14, 10:28
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 9th, '14, 10:28

+1 for concern for us consumers. Teabox may have great ideals but its prices are not low. If you try their teas, please report on them.

Jul 9th, '14, 11:06

by debunix » Jul 9th, '14, 11:06

After my eye opening sample of Jungpana yellow (?) from Norbu, I'm interested to try fancier non-CTC teas from India too. But at the moment the tea chest is still quite full of goodies.

Sep 18th, '14, 18:42

Re:

by sneakers » Sep 18th, '14, 18:42

bonescwa wrote:That's all well and good that they want to change things, but I wish the New York Times wouldn't be writing about tea. I'm noticing it more and more, they even had an article about tea in Men's Health magazine. I want this to stay unpopular in America because if the stupid hipsters get a hold of this like they did for craft beer (it is basically tailor made for them) they will drive up prices because they pay stupid prices for things that they have no idea about.
That's happened already, in pseudo-tea store chains like Teavana. It's following in the footsteps of Starbuck's, with teas of unknown origin souped up with pretty names and flavors. We passed one at a mall, and I had no desire to try anything.

+ Post Reply