Jan 3rd, '14, 15:25

Re: Tea Buzz

by Suutej_Tsaj » Jan 3rd, '14, 15:25

Jspigs wrote:
Ursinos wrote:
AdamMY wrote:Becareful of the Tea Hangovers! :? Sadly I am not joking here either....
haven't had one of those yet.
Me neither.
I kind of experienced something similar after the one time I got the buzz with a sencha. Two hours long of headaches and general dizziness. Can't say if that's what you're referring to, but it definitely felt like a hangover.

Jan 7th, '14, 14:46

by miig » Jan 7th, '14, 14:46

Here is a very nice blog article by verdant tea:

http://verdanttea.com/whats-the-real-de ... ne-in-tea/

it deals with a lot more than the caffeine, assembles a number of studies on the various effects of the other substances in tea wile still acknowledging the mysterious and holistic concept of the cha qui. Very nice! :wink:

Jan 7th, '14, 19:23

by BioHorn » Jan 7th, '14, 19:23

We had our exterior painted by two painters, an owner and his side-kick. It was July and the climate was quite nice. The painters liked tea and would sometimes stay for extended (5 hour) tea sessions.

We had one tea session that included a number of young puerhs. The next day the owner told me the side-kick was so tea-high that when he went to the van to leave he tried to go in the rear side door that held all the ladders. The owner had to yell to him, "You are welcome to sit here up front with me!"

In the end, our house got the best paint job ever!

Jan 7th, '14, 23:32

by Ursinos » Jan 7th, '14, 23:32

miig wrote:Here is a very nice blog article by verdant tea:

http://verdanttea.com/whats-the-real-de ... ne-in-tea/

it deals with a lot more than the caffeine, assembles a number of studies on the various effects of the other substances in tea wile still acknowledging the mysterious and holistic concept of the cha qui. Very nice! :wink:
wow! thanks for the link!

Jan 8th, '14, 01:03
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 8th, '14, 01:03

Never had a tea hangover, but I have felt like absolute crap after drinking Lipton on an empty stomach! I told my mom and she looked like me like I was a total lightweight. She drinks black (red) tea with milk at least three times a day!

Jan 8th, '14, 02:23

by Ursinos » Jan 8th, '14, 02:23

jayinhk wrote:Never had a tea hangover, but I have felt like absolute crap after drinking Lipton on an empty stomach! I told my mom and she looked like me like I was a total lightweight. She drinks black (red) tea with milk at least three times a day!
I had to go off tea for a while a couple years back. I was unfortunately in a situation where the only tea I had access to was brewed really strong and oversteeped. The thing about tea not giving you the jitters and keeping you up all night? yeah....wasn't happening at that point.

I'd been hitting the tea as a comfort thing, hoping to calm my nerves and get a bit of that peace I generally get with tea. The 4-5 cups a day I was having for that couple months was making it so I was wound tighter than a watch-spring. Hell, after 2 months of NO tea, I tried having a single cup in the morning to help wake me up... I STILL got insomnia from it. Insomnia and crankiness.

Brewing my OWN tea has never done that to me. geesh

Oct 14th, '14, 15:35

by Evan Draper » Oct 14th, '14, 15:35

AdamMY wrote:Becareful of the Tea Hangovers! :? Sadly I am not joking here either....
Ursinos wrote:The 4-5 cups a day I was having for that couple months was making it so I was wound tighter than a watch-spring. Hell, after 2 months of NO tea, I tried having a single cup in the morning to help wake me up... I STILL got insomnia from it. Insomnia and crankiness.
I think theanine withdrawal must be a significant part of the tea hangover. I tend towards a weekly binge, and while the decreased alertness the next day is significant, I can be cranky, frustrated, and impatient, even when demands on that alertness are low.

Oct 15th, '14, 07:29

by Poseidon » Oct 15th, '14, 07:29

Evan Draper wrote:
Ursinos wrote:The 4-5 cups a day I was having for that couple months was making it so I was wound tighter than a watch-spring. Hell, after 2 months of NO tea, I tried having a single cup in the morning to help wake me up... I STILL got insomnia from it. Insomnia and crankiness.
I think theanine withdrawal must be a significant part of the tea hangover. I tend towards a weekly binge, and while the decreased alertness the next day is significant, I can be cranky, frustrated, and impatient, even when demands on that alertness are low.
Would you consider yourself someone who is sensitive to medicines/other altering substances? Im not sure Ive actually been "high" from tea. I get mild relaxation and enjoyment from it but I know from my past, I have a huge tolerence to substances.

Oct 15th, '14, 14:02

by Evan Draper » Oct 15th, '14, 14:02

I couldn't generalize, but I am half your size :mrgreen:
What I was alluding to on the other post was the reinforcing effects of drinking with other people. You're having a good time, and encouraging each other to drink more. I've sometimes tried to keep our circle's sessions to three teas, but four is the norm and five is not out of the question. And my longest session was 7+ hours, 20+ teas.... No tea drunk? Try harder! :lol:

Oct 15th, '14, 14:16

by Poseidon » Oct 15th, '14, 14:16

Evan Draper wrote:I couldn't generalize, but I am half your size :mrgreen:
What I was alluding to on the other post was the reinforcing effects of drinking with other people. You're having a good time, and encouraging each other to drink more. I've sometimes tried to keep our circle's sessions to three teas, but four is the norm and five is not out of the question. And my longest session was 7+ hours, 20+ teas.... No tea drunk? Try harder! :lol:
Thats true! Maybe I need to find a group who will drink tea with me rather than beer! :lol:

Oct 15th, '14, 15:13

by BW85 » Oct 15th, '14, 15:13

Evan Draper wrote:I couldn't generalize, but I am half your size :mrgreen:
I've definitely noticed that drinking tea with close friends will enhance the qi buzz. For me it's not necessarily the amount we drink either. I can drink the same amount with a couple people that I would alone but the euphoric buzz will be more pronounced. It's just sharing the moment and feeding off each other is naturally going to make you feel good :)

Apr 2nd, '19, 08:31

by Solman636 » Apr 2nd, '19, 08:31

jayinhk wrote: Never had a tea hangover, but I have felt like absolute crap after drinking Lipton on an empty stomach! I told my mom and she looked like me like I was a total lightweight. She drinks black (red) tea with milk at least three times a day!

Recently tried Great Value straight black tea from Walmart for $2 for 100 bags. I bought it to see the difference with the imported Chinese tea. It is similar in color and some aspects of taste to a puehr tea from old trees I have tried, but the similarity is only superficial. With the GV tea I got to experience the only tea available to the inexpensive bag tea my friend in the prison gets, and I conclude what he has will suffice for a good experience. In prison one must rejoice in even being able to have tea and meditation experiences, which he does, fortunately. But between us I was laughing with gratitude this morning at how wonderfully rich my white tea was comparatively. The Walmart tea is also powdered so a ton of tannins come out almost instantly and makes it difficult to capture what flavor is there due to bitterness. I am spoiled now and hope to avoid prison so i can keep enjoying the wonderful teas we all can get from all over the world. Hopefully, my friend's tea in prison may actually be a step up as it cost a good bit more and was a name brand, but I just wanted to try the cheapest unflavored black tea I could find. For the average person making iced tea with a ton of sugar the great value would be just right after being watered down and flavored, but not what I am after, and it gave me a stomach ache later.

May 11th, '19, 11:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 11th, '19, 11:02

Solman636 wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Never had a tea hangover, but I have felt like absolute crap after drinking Lipton on an empty stomach! I told my mom and she looked like me like I was a total lightweight. She drinks black (red) tea with milk at least three times a day!

Recently tried Great Value straight black tea from Walmart for $2 for 100 bags. I bought it to see the difference with the imported Chinese tea. It is similar in color and some aspects of taste to a puehr tea from old trees I have tried, but the similarity is only superficial. With the GV tea I got to experience the only tea available to the inexpensive bag tea my friend in the prison gets, and I conclude what he has will suffice for a good experience. In prison one must rejoice in even being able to have tea and meditation experiences, which he does, fortunately. But between us I was laughing with gratitude this morning at how wonderfully rich my white tea was comparatively. The Walmart tea is also powdered so a ton of tannins come out almost instantly and makes it difficult to capture what flavor is there due to bitterness. I am spoiled now and hope to avoid prison so i can keep enjoying the wonderful teas we all can get from all over the world. Hopefully, my friend's tea in prison may actually be a step up as it cost a good bit more and was a name brand, but I just wanted to try the cheapest unflavored black tea I could find. For the average person making iced tea with a ton of sugar the great value would be just right after being watered down and flavored, but not what I am after, and it gave me a stomach ache later.
Is your friend in state prison in FL? What kind of tea can he get in there?

Try brewing the teabags at 195 F. Might make it a little more tolerable for you! :)

May 11th, '19, 12:23

by Solman636 » May 11th, '19, 12:23

Is your friend in state prison in FL? What kind of tea can he get in there?

Try brewing the teabags at 195 F. Might make it a little more tolerable for you! :)

Yes, he is in state prison, and they have a tea he seems to like so that is great. It is an institutional food supplier brand: Cheney Brothers is on the label and ingredients show orange pekoe so it is one up from Walmart Great Value brand apparently. No gong fu brewing there although he could try to steep twice at least. The tao is in the tea and him so really no need for gaiwans etc. He can make it work. :)

Sep 10th, '19, 07:50

by Benheld » Sep 10th, '19, 07:50

I'm a newbie here. But I am interested in learning about different things. How many cups of tea a person should drink everyday?

+ Post Reply