Whisky after sheng

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 7th, '13, 15:24
Vendor Member

Re: Whisky after sheng

by jayinhk » Sep 7th, '13, 15:24

I haven't tried Scotch and pu erh together yet, but when drinking some shu recently, it reminded me of the peat you find in Islay whiskeys.

Sep 8th, '13, 02:14

by MarshalN » Sep 8th, '13, 02:14

Talisker I think works well - especially the new packaging 10 year which tends to be a bit harsh on its own.

Sep 8th, '13, 08:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 8th, '13, 08:39

MarshalN wrote:Talisker I think works well - especially the new packaging 10 year which tends to be a bit harsh on its own.
I may have to give that a shot! I have an open bottle of Johnny Walker Swing from the 90s next to my tea table, but I wouldn't want to blend that with tea. It's too good on its own!

Nov 5th, '14, 07:40

by Teaism » Nov 5th, '14, 07:40

Today's news reported that the world best winning whisky this year is Suntory Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013. Just curious how well it goes with tea.

Was busy hunting for it the whole day today but can't find any bottle available.

I think this will pair very well with middle aged Sheng.
Nevertheless I have made some reservation for it and hope that it will be available soon.

Something different but still in line with tea. I enjoy some Macallan aged Whisky with tea ocassionally. It has wonderful aroma and taste to pair well with tea.

Cheers!

Nov 5th, '14, 07:46

by bankung » Nov 5th, '14, 07:46

Will try Yamazaki 18yo with sheng tonight and report back :D

Teaism - that rare bottle, its sold out half a year already. Would be very lucky if you can find one.

Nov 5th, '14, 07:57

by Teaism » Nov 5th, '14, 07:57

bankung wrote:
Teaism - that rare bottle, its sold out half a year already. Would be very lucky if you can find one.
Oh no!

Will get a Macallan instead. The 18 years old aged in sherry cask probably a good replacement of it.

Cheers! :D

Nov 5th, '14, 09:13

by Rui » Nov 5th, '14, 09:13

When I get home tonight I am going to try some Aberlour A'bunadh and a ripe pu'erh I have at home that smells of tobacco. It should be an interesting combination.

Nov 5th, '14, 10:26

by Teaism » Nov 5th, '14, 10:26

Great that everyone is in the mood to experiment and deviate to seek new dimension. It is really fun to explore further once in a while and works most of the time.

Tea pair very well with cheese too. It is one of my favorite pairing exercise. I met some Maître Fromager ocassionally and we have a great time to Jazz up some nice combination. It just an informal venture without looking for absolute answer but for the enjoyment and awareness of it.

The key note to play,is to base on the basics, i.e. aroma, texture, body, character etc etc of each tea and cheese to savour and to strike a balance in the amalgamation of both character. They actually enhance each other strength and suppress weaknesses when the note is strike correctly.

Quite an interesting exploration and definately out of the box.

Oops OT!

Nov 5th, '14, 11:09

by Tead Off » Nov 5th, '14, 11:09

With good sheng, stinky, soft cheeses are superb!

Nov 6th, '14, 03:20

by Balthazar » Nov 6th, '14, 03:20

I'm a big fan of drinking whisky and lapsang souchong side by side (although I haven't come by any decent lapsang souchong in a while), but I haven't explored the whisky/puer combination too much. Although I actually drank some shu and a single malt while watching a film yesterday (with the result that I was fairly bored by the shu).

Perhaps going for a sheng, perhaps a xiaguan or some other factory tea not too complex (and with a somewhat complementary taste profile to the whisky), would be better.

Nov 6th, '14, 03:56

by Jaymo » Nov 6th, '14, 03:56

I made some shu for my wife and I while watching a movie tonight and she brought out a little snack that ended up being an amazingly good pairing!

The shu was pretty thick/buttery, but not a lot of flavor. We had some dried apricots with it and the combination of the 2 was SOOOO much better than either one on its own! The fruit and little acidity in the dried apricots opened up a lot more flavor in the shu and balanced it really well, and it took on an almond-like flavor as well.

Nov 6th, '14, 05:40
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Nov 6th, '14, 05:40

Tead Off wrote:With good sheng, stinky, soft cheeses are superb!
100% agree on this recommendation

Fresh goat/sheep cheese with sheng is a favorite pairing for me

As far as whiskey, i like the bourbon sheng combination a lot. Scotch can be good, but I think it works well with heavier sheng since it can obliterate some of the lighter more subtle shengs out there.
Last edited by TwoDog2 on Nov 6th, '14, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 6th, '14, 08:23

by Teaism » Nov 6th, '14, 08:23

Tead Off wrote:With good sheng, stinky, soft cheeses are superb!
I enjoy the lighter blue vein cheese like St Agur to match with the creamier, sweeter and full bodied Dayuling. One of my favorite combination.

Nov 6th, '14, 17:36

by tingjunkie » Nov 6th, '14, 17:36

I know this is the Pu forum, but a high-fired oolong and bourbon pair exceptionally well!

Nov 8th, '14, 18:46

by Cwyn » Nov 8th, '14, 18:46

Interesting about the Suntory award, I'm glad for Japan. I did have a vintage bottle of their cherry which was really amazing. I don't drink much alcohol, virtually none. But I'm with TwoDog on the goat cheese, my fridge has a quantity of it and I do eat it with tea, not for any special aesthetic reason though. I'm just hungry and I love goat cheese. Sheng tends to bring up my appetite, local cheeses, sausage and cold climate apples are my choices.

+ Post Reply