Aug 12th, '05, 11:36

by chris » Aug 12th, '05, 11:36

Amen, sister!

H2Out,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Aug 12th, '05, 21:40

by PeteVu » Aug 12th, '05, 21:40

my local store has spring, distilled, and drinking water. I usually drink spring water because the first time i had distilled it tasted weird to me. perhaps i should try brewing with distilled?
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 13th, '05, 12:36

by teaspoon » Aug 13th, '05, 12:36

Hmm I need to keep this in mind... I'm going back to school soon and the water there is FOUL. Explains why I didn't drink much tea at school...

~the studious teaspoon
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Aug 13th, '05, 15:28

by PeteVu » Aug 13th, '05, 15:28

take a look at water coolers. they dont take up that much space, and there are models that come with a fridge built in. makes heating water alot faster too if u get a hot water spicket.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Aug 17th, '05, 14:44

by Daniel S » Aug 17th, '05, 14:44

I drink water that comes out my tap after it passes through a filter on the fridge. We've recently had a water softener put in, and while normal cold drinking water still tastes fine to me, using the softened water in tea tastes too salty. So I've been buying water in the jug from the store, and my tea tastes good once again. (something to consider if you have or will get a water softener)

Sep 28th, '05, 08:29

bottled water

by Reual » Sep 28th, '05, 08:29

Please don't forget.. if you have children.. to use tap water as much as you can for them.. or be diligent about teeth brushing. Tap water is the best source of fluoride for your children.

There have been news articles lately that tell about tooth decay being on the rise again for the first time in decades.. due to more bottled water being given to children.

Take care,
Re

Sep 28th, '05, 08:37

by LavenderPekoe » Sep 28th, '05, 08:37

I'd much rather have children be diligent about brushing. I don't think flouride in water is good for children. I grew up with out it, as did my parents, and while my teeth aren't the greatest, I don't have any of the other problems that have recently been associated with flouridated water, especially in growing children.
Last edited by LavenderPekoe on Nov 8th, '05, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Teas for trade:

Sep 28th, '05, 09:51

by klemptor » Sep 28th, '05, 09:51

Along a similar vein, I've been wanting to ask a question about water for tea for a while.

I tend to fill up my tea kettle in the morning with (fresh, cool, filtered) water. I boil it and pour out enough to make my first pot. Can I reboil the water remaining in the kettle later in the day, or has the water been too deoxygenated by the boiling process?
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Sep 28th, '05, 11:53

by chris » Sep 28th, '05, 11:53

Thanks for the post.

I'd recommend using new water each boil. Oxygen levels will vary depending on your elevation, but I can tell you that overboiling will definitely give you flat water and less tasty tea!

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Sep 30th, '05, 12:50

green tea contains natural fluoride!

by rrrnay » Sep 30th, '05, 12:50

Hi Everyone,
I couldn't help but chime in on the fluoridated water debate. Green tea naturally contains fluoride and will help prevent cavities...google
"green tea fluoride" to get more information on this...

from Wholehealthmd.com
"For example, ongoing research suggests that thanks to its numerous and varied antioxidant compounds, sipping green tea regularly may help to prevent various types of cancer, guard against heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels and reducing blood pressure, promote longevity, stave off tooth decay (the tea contains the cavity fighter, fluoride), help heal gum infections, and provide a number of other benefits."

Nov 25th, '05, 08:26

by Guest » Nov 25th, '05, 08:26

klemptor wrote:Along a similar vein, I've been wanting to ask a question about water for tea for a while.

I tend to fill up my tea kettle in the morning with (fresh, cool, filtered) water. I boil it and pour out enough to make my first pot. Can I reboil the water remaining in the kettle later in the day, or has the water been too deoxygenated by the boiling process?

Nov 29th, '05, 22:45

by JamesBeach » Nov 29th, '05, 22:45

This thread makes me glad I live in Oregon. We have impeccable water here that, in my opinion, tastes better than bottled. Great tea, too. One of the benefits of living in a waterlogged state. Go on, be jealous! :twisted:

Nov 29th, '05, 23:57

by teamuse » Nov 29th, '05, 23:57

jealousy ++++ JamesBeach

we've been using RO. I have tried distilled but I don't like the taste as much (and we have to use RO for our fish tank anyway...yea for instant ocean). However, that said distilled v. RO is mostly a taste preference with people in my experience at the water store.

growing up in South Texas...the water is ok according to standards...but the taste/smell/mouth feel is BLECH. RO or Distillation is the way to go...especially when making tea. I had to use tap water in a pinch and it was AWFUL.

Are they sure that it is the increase in bottled water consumption causing cavities? I figure it would come from the increase in sugary drinks/foods consumption, especially in the US more than a lack of flouride.

+ Post Reply