Saturday TeaParty, what is in your cup this 2/09/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

What is you favorite brewing vessel/device?

Kyusu or Hohin
23%
Gaiwan
15%
Yixing
3%
Gimme my mug and an infuser
8%
ingenuiTEA or similar modern device
28%
Samovar
No votes
China or Silver
3%
Simple ceramic pot
15%
Tetsubin
5%
Koryo
No votes
Electric device for brewing
3%
Chawan, though not really for brewing
No votes

Total votes: 40

Feb 9th, '08, 03:13
Scrolling: scrolling

Saturday TeaParty, what is in your cup this 2/09/08

by Chip » Feb 9th, '08, 03:13

It is official, this is a TeaParty weekend on TeaDay. It is BYOT, but be prepared to share with everyone else what is in you cup. Come one, come all, come often and share your cup. If you come in late, reflect back for us.

Remember, Tea is best when you tell everyone else what you are drinking, and find out what everyone else is sipping, drinking, and chugging.

The TeaParty started yesterday and just about everyone came (except you know who you are). Remember newbies to the forum or to tea, all are welcome to this party.

Thanx to Pentox for our TeaPoll suggestion...this will be an interesing one. Remember to PM TeaPoll suggestions to me. Thanx.

Today's TeaPoll and source of discussion. Your favorite brewing device. Please bare with me, because I cannot come close to listing them all. So vote and then as you share your cup with us, also share what your fav brewing vessel is and something about it.
Last edited by Chip on Feb 9th, '08, 03:41, edited 2 times in total.

Feb 9th, '08, 03:28

by Lama » Feb 9th, '08, 03:28

Wow these topics have become realy popular!

I love the IngenuiTEA myself, because it is so easy to use and you have almost no cleanup. However you cant realy preheat it since its plastic, so its hard to get the right temperature for more sensitive teas.

I bought this Tokoname Kyusu for brewing sencha from a japanese vendor, I got a great price on it :)
It should arive soon... cant wait!

I think i'l use my IngenuiTEA for black and iced tea's.

Feb 9th, '08, 03:34

by olivierco » Feb 9th, '08, 03:34

I started the day with Yunnan golden tips (my favourite for the early morning) and I have just had Kaburagien Hand-rubbed Sencha. I still don't know what I will drink for the rest of the day: Japanese green for sure, but the day is still long for other teas as well.

Concerning the poll, it was hard to point one particular brewing device.
I choose kyusu, but I could also have chosen hohin which I use for gyokuro and sometimes for sencha.

I don't own this one as I prefer teapots without drawings, but I haven't any picture of my hohins.

[Edited by Chip: Hohin has been added next to kyusu since they are sisters]

Feb 9th, '08, 03:45

by olivierco » Feb 9th, '08, 03:45

olivierco wrote:
[Edited by Chip: Hohin has been added next to kyusu since they are sisters]
Your reactivity as a moderator is very impressive!

[er...edited by...Chip: I am in the TeaMatrix]

Feb 9th, '08, 03:46

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 9th, '08, 03:46

I chose gaiwan. It's really hard to beat their minimalist style and brutal functionality– they can brew anything!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Feb 9th, '08, 03:47

by Sam. » Feb 9th, '08, 03:47

I'm still using my ingenuiTEA, but I'll probably end up ordering one of the Den's kyusus (Kokoro back in stock?!) soon!

Feb 9th, '08, 05:09

by omegapd » Feb 9th, '08, 05:09

I chose simple ceramic pot since it's what I use just about everyday. I used to own an old Brown Betty that I loved but a can or something fell out of the kitchen cupboard one day and (of course) fell just perfectly to break off the spout.

My favorite tea pot, though, is this Yixing set I picked up a few years ago. It's great but I don't use it everyday...

I also use a different Yixing pot just for Lapsang tea since I didn't want the smoky flavor to mess up any other pot.

If I had the room to store them, and quit my other hobbies, I think tea pot collecting would be kind of fun...

EW

Feb 9th, '08, 05:25

by Tsukiko » Feb 9th, '08, 05:25

I love my ingenuiTEA too much to use anything else.
Heather J. Hasan
Editor - Chinese Culture @ BellaOnline

Feb 9th, '08, 07:06

by Photiou » Feb 9th, '08, 07:06

My favourite brewing vessel currently is the pot in this gyokuro set (shot glass is not part of the set but to give sense of scale)

Though I use my Ippodo teapots more as I do not drink gyokuro that often.

As I see tetsubin on the list, here is a picture of my newest toy - which I do not use to brew tea but to boil my tea water.

Today is a sencha day... plus maybe some gyokuro. Slow food and slow tea day - tetsubin water kettle is not for busy people.

Feb 9th, '08, 08:54

by caradrake » Feb 9th, '08, 08:54

I'm going to be starting the day off with some nice miyabi.

I currently use an IngenuiTEA courtesy of Padre, but if luck is with me I might be using one of these in the future: http://tinyurl.com/2pmqkc (heehee)

Feb 9th, '08, 09:28

by Proinsias » Feb 9th, '08, 09:28

Gaiwan wins hands down for me.

They seem to get smaller and plainer as time goes by.

Yixing would probably be next on the list.

Kyusu might climb up the list if I ever get around to restocking the sencha supplies.

The hohin looks tempting as a kind of gaiwan/teapot hybrid.

Feb 9th, '08, 10:36

by Mil » Feb 9th, '08, 10:36

I've got a Bodum teapress. I guess that qualifies as a "modern device"? I think it's nifty, but I've got nothing to compare it to.

I'd like to get something a bit smaller so I can brew one or two cups at a time, but I think I've got a lot of research ahead of me. I have no idea what half of the poll responses even mean! Plus, I've just ordered a utiliTEA, which is definitely my teaware budget for the month. :lol: I just hope my stovetop kettle will forgive me.

Feb 9th, '08, 11:01

by Warden Andy » Feb 9th, '08, 11:01

Morning tea was rosamonte tossed in a teabag into a thermos. Surprisingly, it didn't turn out too bad. I may have to start doing that for class.

Now I'm drinking some rougui from Jing which was opened almost two years ago. I basically just wanted to try my new stainless steel basket infuser, and just found this which is just crumbs at the bottom of the bag. Actually turned out really good. Smooth mouthfeel, diminished charcoal, and very strong aftertaste.
Super elite tea facist....

Feb 9th, '08, 11:18

by Ladytiger » Feb 9th, '08, 11:18

So far it's the ingnuiTEA for me. It's almost like a tea god to me! I might be getting the Yutori Teapot from Den's Tea soon.
First tea of the day is Earl Grey Bravo.
Last edited by Ladytiger on Feb 9th, '08, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 9th, '08, 13:27

by Selaphiel » Feb 9th, '08, 13:27

I prefer the Yixing and the Kyusu. Yixing is my choice on the poll because of their ability to develop their aroma, that is just a beautiful thing.

Today I have had a bowl of Matcha and a cup of Yunnan buds.