Which is your favourite green tea, and why?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 30th, '14, 05:14

Re: Which is your favourite green tea, and why?

by Alex » Nov 30th, '14, 05:14

Sencha....mostly light/med steamed

Nov 30th, '14, 14:38

by Jackie » Nov 30th, '14, 14:38

green tea with fruits

tasty and healthy :)

Nov 30th, '14, 15:13

by debunix » Nov 30th, '14, 15:13

An Ji Bai Cha would have to be number one, for being the most forgiving of variations in storage and brewing technique,while still yielding delicate and wonderful tea. I've had brewing sessions with various senchas, long jings, some amazing (when still freshest) gu zhu zi shun, that have matched An Ji Bai Cha for flavor, but for sheer consistency and ease of getting that wonderful flavor time after time, An Ji Bai Cha is the winner.

Dec 2nd, '14, 07:09

by Alex » Dec 2nd, '14, 07:09

Jackie wrote:green tea with fruits

tasty and healthy :)
GET BACK TO STEEPSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P :P :P j/k

:lol:

Dec 2nd, '14, 10:00
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 2nd, '14, 10:00

debunix, Your praise of An Ji Bai Cha includes characteristics that I care about: longevity of quality & not needing an exacting perfect preparation. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available for the amount of $ I'm comfortable spending. (What relatively cheap oolong & black tea cost.)

Good to have some white tea in the tea chest nonetheless. (I've found the offer of white tea pleases guests. The white tea I got from Nepal last Spring was wonderful for 3 months but provided much weaker flavor later; yet, guests like what tastes like teawater to me.)

Dec 2nd, '14, 14:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 2nd, '14, 14:48

Thinking about this topic hurts my brain as I was thinking too specifically. So, in general ...

Sencha. It is my constant go to tea. I crave it almost all the time including at night when it is too late for tea ... I begin thinking about my morning sencha.

I enjoy the intermingling of flavors and sensations ... the sweet, bitter, umami, veggie, etc.

I love the way it smells in the bag, the aroma that floats out of a preheated kyusu with dry leaves warming inside, oh the smell of the brewing tea as it seems to linger around the tea table.

I have it first thing in the morning, and then throughout the day. I just never tire of sencha.

A distant second, Gyokuro. I really love Gyokuro, but just do not crave it as I do sencha.

Dec 2nd, '14, 15:00

by William » Dec 2nd, '14, 15:00

Chip wrote:Thinking about this topic hurts my brain as I was thinking too specifically. So, in general ...

Sencha. It is my constant go to tea. I crave it almost all the time including at night when it is too late for tea ... I begin thinking about my morning sencha.

I enjoy the intermingling of flavors and sensations ... the sweet, bitter, umami, veggie, etc.

I love the way it smells in the bag, the aroma that floats out of a preheated kyusu with dry leaves warming inside, oh the smell of the brewing tea as it seems to linger around the tea table.

I have it first thing in the morning, and then throughout the day. I just never tire of sencha.

A distant second, Gyokuro. I really love Gyokuro, but just do not crave it as I do sencha.
This is just love, Chip! :lol:

Dec 11th, '14, 08:27

by Jayaratna » Dec 11th, '14, 08:27

Jiu hua fo cha is my favourite Chinese green, similar to Huang Shan Mao Feng, but cheaper.

As for Japan I like Kabuse, cold brew (lots of leaves, 60°C).
Last edited by Jayaratna on Dec 11th, '14, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 11th, '14, 08:31

by William » Dec 11th, '14, 08:31

Sencha, sencha, sencha! :lol:

Dec 11th, '14, 08:48

by chrl42 » Dec 11th, '14, 08:48

Jayaratna wrote:Jiu hua fo cha is my favourite Chinese green, similar to Huang Shan Mao Feng, but cheaper.

As for Japan I like Kabuse, cold brew (lots of leaves, 60°C).
Mt.Jiu Hua is one of 4 buddhist mountains of China, both Jiuhua Shan and Huang Shan belong to Anhui province, although their tea is not as famous as Huangshan's

hope to try it some oneday! :D

Dec 11th, '14, 09:14

by JRS22 » Dec 11th, '14, 09:14

Jayaratna wrote:Jiu hua fo cha is my favourite Chinese green, similar to Huang Shan Mao Feng, but cheaper.
I usually order some chinese greens in the spring, as soon as the early harvest teas are available. This year I included this tea in my order from Tea Trekker, which compared it to An Ji Bai Cha. I found it so satisfying that when I placed my usual order for Jasmine tea I included a second (larger) bag. Tea Trekker also calls it Buddha's tea.

I do find myself drawn to Japanese greens when I'm not drinking yancha. My favorites are 2 kariganes from O-Cha, the karigane sencha otsuusan, and the karigane gyokuro asa giri. Sencha is too bitter for me, and gyokuro is too expensive for everyday, but each of these karigane tea blends has a strong, distinctive and satisfying flavor profile.

Dec 11th, '14, 10:48

by bilochun » Dec 11th, '14, 10:48

for chinese greens, shi feng long jing
for japanese, fukamushi-cha

+ Post Reply