Japanese tea samples- where from?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 9th, '15, 10:55

Re: Japanese tea samples- where from?

by Tead Off » Jan 9th, '15, 10:55

napoleon wrote:Can't find any porcelain ones on the site :?
What about this kyusu (I've found a 200ml version also)- http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info.p ... cts_id/821
If you're going to spend that kind of money on a commercially made teapot like Hibiki-an's, why not buy an artisan made porcelain pot? Live a little! :D

Fukas can give anyone a fit trying to brew 2nd/3rd, etc., infusions. One tip is to take a tea tool and clear the holes of the leaves so the next brew has a fighting chance of escaping the pot fairly quickly.

Jan 9th, '15, 18:54

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 9th, '15, 18:54

If you're going to spend that kind of money on a commercially made teapot like Hibiki-an's, why not buy an artisan made porcelain pot? Live a little! :D
Some nice pieces on Artistic Nippon...Banko and Porcelain, etc.:
http://artisticnippon.com/product/Banko ... index.html

I've ruminated on this one for a while; I appreciate the subtle, nearly hidden pine tree engraving on the surface of the pot and the pots relatively (Japanese teapot wise) smaller, 155ml size: http://artisticnippon.com/product/Banko ... apot7.html

http://artisticnippon.com/product/arita/arita_ware.html

Satsuma (20-30% off):http://artisticnippon.com/product/satsu ... eapot.html

Blessings on the search!

Jan 9th, '15, 23:43

by Tead Off » Jan 9th, '15, 23:43

Several artisans on Teachat make nice porcelain teaware. I have nothing against Artisticnippon, but I dare to say they are no match for some of our own artisans who are making handmade, one of a kind porcelain pieces that blow away most of the competition from commercial sites like Artisticnippon. Potters like Petr Novak, Kim Eung Chul, and others do lovely work and often more beautiful and less expensive than many commercial sites.

Jan 10th, '15, 10:57

by debunix » Jan 10th, '15, 10:57

Tead Off wrote:Fukas can give anyone a fit trying to brew 2nd/3rd, etc., infusions. One tip is to take a tea tool and clear the holes of the leaves so the next brew has a fighting chance of escaping the pot fairly quickly.
With my little gooseneck Bonavita kettle, I sometimes pour the water through the spout backwards before filling the pot back up the usual way. Works nicely to help clear the spout whether I'm brewing japanese or chinese greens, or black tea, even occasionally oolongs with a lot of broken bits.

Jan 10th, '15, 20:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 10th, '15, 20:28

Tead Off wrote:Several artisans on Teachat make nice porcelain teaware. I have nothing against Artisticnippon, but I dare to say they are no match for some of our own artisans who are making handmade, one of a kind porcelain pieces that blow away most of the competition from commercial sites like Artisticnippon. Potters like Petr Novak, Kim Eung Chul, and others do lovely work and often more beautiful and less expensive than many commercial sites.
Kind of a night and day thing. I am all over the map so to speak. Each artisan's work that I have collected from numerous countries is beautiful in its own special way.

Each has its personal value as well.

Irrelevant of price, I place a high value on the Japanese kyusu-s, etc. I have purchased from "commercial sites" such as artisticnippon.com, aka Toru who also provides incredibly high level of service to his western clientele. For many, he is a gateway to amazing artisans of Japan.

And will whenever possible endeavor to fulfill personal requests. I give AN/Toru 5 out 5 stars.

Jan 10th, '15, 20:42

by Chip » Jan 10th, '15, 20:42

debunix wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Fukas can give anyone a fit trying to brew 2nd/3rd, etc., infusions. One tip is to take a tea tool and clear the holes of the leaves so the next brew has a fighting chance of escaping the pot fairly quickly.
With my little gooseneck Bonavita kettle, I sometimes pour the water through the spout backwards before filling the pot back up the usual way. Works nicely to help clear the spout whether I'm brewing japanese or chinese greens, or black tea, even occasionally oolongs with a lot of broken bits.
... when the fuka particles are covering the screen after pouring, I will hold the spout side in my right hand and GENTLY tap the opposite side into my left palm. I do this everyday as of late while brewing Japanese tea in a direct - wall screen Yamada Sou kyusu. I get at least 5 steeps for fuka this way. And yes, over the years I have done this 1000s of times without damaging a kyusu ... but you may want to remove rings ... :mrgreen:

I do one other thing. I try to delay the rush of leaves from clogging up the screen by cocking the kyusu handle downward a bit. Thus the leaves are directed to the wall alongside the screen and adhere to the wall somewhat instead of the screen. This is likely hard to envision ... but it does work.

Jan 15th, '15, 02:19

by napoleon » Jan 15th, '15, 02:19

A little update. The teas arrived in one week!
I've tried matcha and it's not "my cup of tea" :mrgreen:
Kidding aside, I've only tried it once so it's most probably my brewing method. Water too hot, too much powder... Good thing you persuaded me to buy a larger quantity so I can practice a bit before making my final judgement.
As for sencha, I find it delicious. A bit like quality chinese green teas, but a bit sweeter (maybe more intense?). Really nice- I could see myself getting into the habbit of drinking it regularly.

PS. Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out. But artisan pots may be a bit too expensive, I was looking for something in the range of 60 $ max.

Jan 15th, '15, 11:48

by Chip » Jan 15th, '15, 11:48

napoleon wrote:A little update. The teas arrived in one week!
I've tried matcha and it's not "my cup of tea" :mrgreen:
Kidding aside, I've only tried it once so it's most probably my brewing method. Water too hot, too much powder... Good thing you persuaded me to buy a larger quantity so I can practice a bit before making my final judgement.
As for sencha, I find it delicious. A bit like quality chinese green teas, but a bit sweeter (maybe more intense?). Really nice- I could see myself getting into the habbit of drinking it regularly.

PS. Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out. But artisan pots may be a bit too expensive, I was looking for something in the range of 60 $ max.
Great!

In your price range, Artisticnippon has a lot to chose from.

Jan 19th, '15, 06:32

by napoleon » Jan 19th, '15, 06:32

One question though, that keeps on bugging me. Actually, the main reason why I'm for the porcelain kyusu.

How do you get the used tea leaves out? Every topic I've encountered is about cleaning the kyusu once you've gotten the leaves out, but none address the issue of removing them in the first place.
Jap tea leaves are much "flatter" and smaller than the chinese varieties, and most of these small kyusus don't have a large enough opening (and have a lip where the lid rests) making it (in my mind) hard to scoop out the leaves that stick to the walls.
Do you fill it with water, swish it around and than dump them in the sink? An easier way to remove them is to let them dry, but it's not good to leave used leaves in a porous teapot.

Jan 19th, '15, 09:41

by Chip » Jan 19th, '15, 09:41

I do a quick upside down shake or two or three over the trash can which removes 90% or more of the leaves.

Then I use the remaining hot wat er in the kettle, pouring in and swirling, repeat as needed. I then do a final partial fill and pour through the spout. I also do a quick rinse to the kyusu exterior.

Easy peasy!

The hot water also serves to speed the drying process.

And I never ever scoop leaves out. If any leaves stick to the screen, I gently rub them with my finger tip.

Jan 19th, '15, 10:34

by napoleon » Jan 19th, '15, 10:34

So, a bit of the leaves does end up in the sink?

+ Post Reply