Need help picking a green tea.

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 22nd, '15, 13:08

Need help picking a green tea.

by Johnbaur » Jan 22nd, '15, 13:08

I recently bought from O-Cha.com their Daily Sencha. I didn't really like it very much at first because it was very very grassy. I think that I have just gotten a bad batch.

I make a 12 oz cup and I use 1.5 teaspoons, which I believe was what O-cha recommended. When I increased the amount of tea to 3 teaspoons, it tasted a little less grassy. So my first question is, how much tea should I use when making 12 oz.

I am almost done with my Daily Sencha so I was want to buy another tea. I liked how O-Cha shipped really fast. What tea should I buy, I do not want it to be grassy. A little grassy is fine. What is a good tea from O-Cha? There are so many choices.

I also have a third question. I have some Gyrokuro. I did much research on how to make it. Some guides said to soak it in room temperature water for 5-10 mins then steep it in hot water. On the other hand, some guides say to steep it for 3 mins. What is the best way to make Gyrokuro?

Jan 22nd, '15, 13:23

Re: Need help picking a green tea.

by bilochun » Jan 22nd, '15, 13:23

try some asamushi if you dont like the grassy taste so much

Jan 22nd, '15, 13:54
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Need help picking a green tea.

by Chip » Jan 22nd, '15, 13:54

I believe the "daily sencha" from O-Cha is second flush ... and is a traditional top seller. I tend to feel that second flush sencha in general is a more casual sencha not requiring uber focus to truly enjoy. I bought it once, but I was spoiled by their first flush sencha such as Yutaka Midori.

I tend to enjoy most sencha that gives me that, "oh my gosh, I must sit down" kind of moment, in other words, not a casual sencha like second flush anything. A good first flush sencha will require focus ... and may demand it via amazing aroma and taste ... and higher price usually.

I just loaded up on an order from O-Cha including O-Cha perennial, personal faves such as Yutaka Midori, Aoi, Sae Midori, and the Kame and Tsuri (sp?) Gyokuro-s. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply