Caffeine in Darjeeling?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 11th, '08, 13:23

Caffeine in Darjeeling?

by osadczuk » Feb 11th, '08, 13:23

Okay, so I am not normally intolerant to caffeine at all. In fact, I can usually drink coffee and/or tea and then go to bed quite easily. That being said, I have been having a Summer Darjeeling over the past few days (and have been experimenting with multiple infusions of it) and I have been wired and unable to sleep.

Blaming the multiple infusions doesn't seem to make any sense, as the first infusion should get most of the caffeine.

So is Darjeeling just hyper-caffeinated? Or any other ideas?

Feb 11th, '08, 17:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 11th, '08, 17:11

Hmm... I'm not sure if it has more caffeine than other teas, but I do know that I have often gotten a weird feeling from Darjeeling before.

With regard to the multiple infusions thing though, the first steep does not remove nearly all of the caffeine, contrary to popular belief, so the extra caffeine *might* be part of your problem with it.

Feb 11th, '08, 17:33

by osadczuk » Feb 11th, '08, 17:33

Hmm, there might still be caffeine in subsequent infusions - but as I am drinking those rather then a new cup of tea (from new leaves) I still have to be getting less caffeine then I usually would. Not to mention the whole, "really caffeine doesn't bother me" thing.

Maybe it is just the same odd feeling you get.

Strange...

Feb 11th, '08, 17:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 11th, '08, 17:49

Oh yeah, you would definitely be getting less caffeine than you would from new leaves-- I missed that part, heh.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is. I love Darjeeling and all, but it does make me feel a bit uncomfortable after I drink too much of it.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

+ Post Reply