My first PAI MU TAN!

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Sep 23rd, '11, 00:28

My first PAI MU TAN!

by SlientSipper » Sep 23rd, '11, 00:28

I am currently sipping it.
The vendor I got it from was Plymouth. After 3 meh quality teas I finally found one that wasn't overtly stale.

I notice a noticeable of floral flavor to it. A light spicy tone and it reminds me of spring for some reason. I am unsure if I like the texture of it on my tongue. The texture slightly reminds me of an herbal medicine

Anyone else ever try this tea?

Sep 23rd, '11, 10:04

Re: My first PAI MU TAN!

by debunix » Sep 23rd, '11, 10:04

I've had several very nice Pai Mu Tan (aka Bai Mu Dan), and it is a bright, wonderful tea that reminds me of peaches and peach flowers all concentrated in a single cup. Wonderful stuff for eating with dark chocolate, and very good cold brewed. But the first one I had was quite 'meh' and discouraged me a bit until I had one that was 'oooh!'.

Sep 23rd, '11, 12:16

by JRS22 » Sep 23rd, '11, 12:16

I have some good quality Bai Mu Dan but I've never found it's brewing sweet spot. I'd love brewing suggestions So I can experience those spicy floral notes also.

Sep 23rd, '11, 13:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 23rd, '11, 13:45

Also called White Peony as well. This is Silver Needle's stronger brother. If you want more subtlety, go with Silver Needle. It you want more robust go with Bai Mu Dan.

I do recall the spicy tone of one selection, bit of floral, and a butteriness (which struck me as an odd sensation).

I guess we can say it is pretty variable. :lol:

Sep 24th, '11, 00:12

by SlientSipper » Sep 24th, '11, 00:12

Upon second brewing. I notice that there is a noticiable astringency to it.
Oh its also Bai Mu Dan?

Oh then I have had this tea before.
Though they do taste somewhat different.

Sep 28th, '11, 18:13

by JRS22 » Sep 28th, '11, 18:13

JRS22 wrote:I have some good quality Bai Mu Dan but I've never found it's brewing sweet spot. I'd love brewing suggestions So I can experience those spicy floral notes also.
I probably won't buy this tea again but I'd love to use up my current supply.

Brewing suggestions - anyone?

Sep 30th, '11, 01:11

by SlientSipper » Sep 30th, '11, 01:11

JRS22 wrote:
JRS22 wrote:I have some good quality Bai Mu Dan but I've never found it's brewing sweet spot. I'd love brewing suggestions So I can experience those spicy floral notes also.
I probably won't buy this tea again but I'd love to use up my current supply.

Brewing suggestions - anyone?
Try water at the 75 to 80 degrees F

then let it brew for about 25-30 seconds.

and it will come out nicely.

it could also be the fact that mine has some type of flower infused with it.

Sep 30th, '11, 01:47

by debunix » Sep 30th, '11, 01:47

My best sessions with similar white teas usually start with about 1 gram of leaf per 30 mL water, so about 2 grams for a gaiwan that holds 60 mL comfortably. Then water about 160 degrees to start, first infusion 1-2 minutes, 2nd similar but a little longer, then up the temp, depending on the tea, to 170 or 180 for another 1-3 infusions at increasing lengths, until the flavor runs out and I get sweet water, or the infusions become unpleasant due to some escaping astringency or bitterness.

I also enjoy quite a few nice white teas as cold-brewed tea, for 3-4 hours up to overnight. I don't usually measure the proportions carefully enough there to give details. Just tea, cold tap water, and refrigerate until ready to drain & drink. A nice Pai Mu Tan is lovely brewed this way.

Feb 2nd, '13, 11:52

by Suutej_Tsaj » Feb 2nd, '13, 11:52

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have a question on the "spicy notes" of Bai Mu Dan.
Today I went to my local herbal shop to buy some chamomile and the cashier told me some White Peony had just arrived. I smelled it from the container and... it kind of smelled like powdered hot pepper, if you get the idea. I thought whites, especially dry leaves, would be much more subtle, so I didn't buy it. I'm wondering, though, is it usual for White Peony to have such "spicy" flavour?

Mar 18th, '13, 12:44

by kittylovestea » Mar 18th, '13, 12:44

I am not overly keen on white tea but Bai Mu Dan is the exception to that rule. A nice quality Bai Mu Dan has such wonderful sweet, floral and clean tasting leaves that remind me of summer.

I enjoy it blended with rose petals or similar flowers too :)

@ Suutej_Tsaj I haven't heard of Bai Mu Dan being spicy before...it's always sweet, floral perhaps even fruity but I have never known it to be spicy. Is it perhaps a blend? It could even be contaminated with something else, perhaps it was packed next to something spicy and has gained that trait. But well no it should not be spicy.

Mar 18th, '13, 18:58

by SlientSipper » Mar 18th, '13, 18:58

Yeah what kitty said.

Its some good white tea though.
Maybe the spices will be good.
More often then not spiced teas do not appeal to me but, on the rare occasions that it does. Its kinda nice.

Mar 22nd, '13, 12:31

by Alex » Mar 22nd, '13, 12:31

Suutej_Tsaj wrote:Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have a question on the "spicy notes" of Bai Mu Dan.
Today I went to my local herbal shop to buy some chamomile and the cashier told me some White Peony had just arrived. I smelled it from the container and... it kind of smelled like powdered hot pepper, if you get the idea. I thought whites, especially dry leaves, would be much more subtle, so I didn't buy it. I'm wondering, though, is it usual for White Peony to have such "spicy" flavour?

I've certainly smelt a lot that I would describe as peppery. And that's decent grade stuff as well.

Mar 22nd, '13, 15:47

by amaranto » Mar 22nd, '13, 15:47

I think I know what you're talking about by spicy, though regarding the Bai Mu Dans I drink, this note is closely related to a piercing floral note I enjoy about Bai Mu Dan, that is, to me these tastes/aromas are intermingled. I notice these especially when I brew at around 160°F. I can't say I've noticed it when smelling the dry tea.

Sep 10th, '14, 03:06

by TeaViking » Sep 10th, '14, 03:06

My friend brought over a bag of Pai mu tan for us to test. When Iv tried white tea before I just thougt it to be Meh...

Iv read some where here that you should brew White tea longer, so I did at 70 degrees Celsius in about 2 min. And it came out in a golden colur, deep fragrance with flowers sparkling in the corners. Amasing taste, very summer-ish.

The only problem I had was that it took longer time to brew that it took to drink the tea. But its a problem I can live with. :lol:
Attachments
pai-mu-tan.png
Picture of the tea leaves
pai-mu-tan.png (24.8 KiB) Viewed 4989 times

Apr 14th, '15, 19:13

by hawaiianlungs » Apr 14th, '15, 19:13

Are there grades of Bai Mudan?

I got some Day Mudan. Is Bai Mudan Bai Mudan, or are there grades like Da Hong Pao?

+ Post Reply