Should I be concerned?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Should I be concerned?

There is no hope for you, you are a very serious pu'er admirer
22%
Not too bad for having been exposed to pu'er for only 2 years
78%
Mate, you better get more serious if you want us to take you seriously
No votes
Get out of here, you are a water not tea drinker
No votes

Total votes: 9

Aug 16th, '15, 08:45

Should I be concerned?

by Rui » Aug 16th, '15, 08:45

For the past couple years, ever since I was introduced to a 19 years aged pu'er tea in HK I really fell in love with this type of tea and since then I have been drinking pu'er 95% of the time (statistically significant) using daily sampling. Unfortunately due to my tendency in getting kidney stones I have since then stayed with raw pu'er rather than the yummy ripe pu'er 95% of the time (statistically significant too). :shock:

Lately I have been concerned about the amount of pu'er tea I have been collecting (please read amassing) which led me to counting how much tea I have in storage which, according to my dear wife, I never do anything at half measures. The following statistics were found between my office and home:
  • 357-400 gms cakes ---- 22
    200-250 gms cakes ----- 7
    100 gms cakes --------- 23
    Tuo's --------------------- 2
    Mini tuo's ---------- +/- 60
Nothing expensive and no 1990's or earlier tea but with the intention of eventually getting some tea tasting about the same as what 1990's tea tastes nowadays.

Meanwhile I drink between 1 to 1.5 litres of tea and around 2 litres of water daily.

How would you classify my love (obsession) towards pu'er tea?

Aug 16th, '15, 09:43

Re: Should I be concerned?

by kyarazen » Aug 16th, '15, 09:43

you're doing very fine!

i think the quantity of tea amassed is not critical, but the enjoyment/appreciation is.

there are cardboard collectors whom would amass enough material to fill almost the whole house.. not too sure if they're cardboard connoisseurs though...

Aug 16th, '15, 11:14

by steanze » Aug 16th, '15, 11:14

Sounds like a reasonable amount :) probably the only way to get something to actually age :D you should only be concerned if it's tea you don't like.

Aug 16th, '15, 18:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Aug 16th, '15, 18:07

I agree, this amount of tea seems to me to be reasonably drinkable by one person in a lifetime. When you get beyond that point (that is, no way you could drink all the tea before you die), then you're getting into the hoarding realm. :lol:

The second sign that you're not going overboard -- no tongs mentioned. :D

Aug 27th, '15, 02:01

by Jaymo » Aug 27th, '15, 02:01

I don't see it as problematic, but if you really like older teas and/or traditional storage, I would consider starting to buy fewer, but some more expensive, good aged cakes. Quality over quantity!

Aug 27th, '15, 16:32

by wyardley » Aug 27th, '15, 16:32

Jaymo wrote:I don't see it as problematic, but if you really like older teas and/or traditional storage, I would consider starting to buy fewer, but some more expensive, good aged cakes. Quality over quantity!
As someone who owns more youngish (lots of late 90s / early 00s) cakes, definitely wish I had taken this approach earlier on. Back when I started buying tea, I balked at prices for aged teas that now I'd love to be able to get.

+ Post Reply