Sourcing tongs (and other large quantities)

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 31st, '15, 19:37

Re: Sourcing tongs (and other large quantities)

by toby » Aug 31st, '15, 19:37

They are friendly cos' business is bad at the moment.
Not sure about their English skill.
(I speak Cantonese and Mandarin)

Aug 31st, '15, 21:41

by PolyhymnianMuse » Aug 31st, '15, 21:41

The puerh business is bad right now?

Sep 1st, '15, 00:09

by BioHorn » Sep 1st, '15, 00:09

toby wrote:They are friendly cos' business is bad at the moment.
This jpg should pretty much sum it up. Might be an interesting year in tea purchases. Am wondering how all the botique teas will be doing?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Sep 1st, '15, 04:07

by theredbaron » Sep 1st, '15, 04:07

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:An authorized dealer for factory cakes would be great. Is anyone aware of any that are westerner-friendly?

I have been aging my own Pu Erh's for almost 15 years, and my best results were not from factory cakes, but small production teas from wild and/or old and ancient trees, and boutique blends.
Factory teas are good for everyday drinking Pu Erh's - they are not so costly, so you can buy somewhat larger quantities, while nowadays buying cakes from ancient trees will cost a lot, and will be just a treat. But they should not be missed. Mixing in a few cakes where you just gamble on the result is also a good idea. I think it is best when you start building a collection is to have a good mix of different teas. Some may work out better than others, and if you put all your eggs in one basked you may lose out.

But depending on the climate you live, it can take a very long time before you can get that aged Pu Erh taste, and if it is too dry, you may never get to that point as the tea dies before it comes to that point. I live in the best possible climate for aging Pu Erh, hot and humid, and i slowly start drinking, depending on the tea, after 8 to 10 years storage. But older is better, my favorite teas are 15 year plus. If you live in a drier climate, you have to add quite a few more years. Pu Erh will also go through awkward phases, where promising teas may suddenly turn undrinkable, only to change into great teas a few years later.

Aging your own Pu Erh is a multi-decade endeavor. By just going for factory teas without experimenting you will miss out on a lot.

Sep 1st, '15, 09:20

by shudaizi » Sep 1st, '15, 09:20

BioHorn wrote:
This jpg should pretty much sum it up. Might be an interesting year in tea purchases. Am wondering how all the botique teas will be doing?
Sorry, but this jpg not very illuminating ... without more information it is rather opaque. I get the years, but what is the other data / numbers? Is it production volume, sales (in what unit?), profit? And where is this data / chart from? Thanks!

Sep 1st, '15, 12:09

by BioHorn » Sep 1st, '15, 12:09

shudaizi wrote:
BioHorn wrote:
Sorry, but this jpg not very illuminating ... without more information it is rather opaque. I get the years, but what is the other data / numbers? Is it production volume, sales (in what unit?), profit? And where is this data / chart from? Thanks!
How right you are!
This is a screen grab from the Chinese stock market. It shows the large and sudden fall in value. I wonder how that compares to puerh values?

Sorry to not be more clear.

Sep 1st, '15, 12:39

by shudaizi » Sep 1st, '15, 12:39

BioHorn wrote:
shudaizi wrote:
BioHorn wrote:
How right you are!
This is a screen grab from the Chinese stock market. It shows the large and sudden fall in value. I wonder how that compares to puerh values?

No worries! I wondered whether this was specifically tea-related or more generally the stock-market / economy. :-) I completely agree that it will be interesting to see what effect the recent market happenings will have on tea and specifically puer.

Sep 1st, '15, 17:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 1st, '15, 17:47

BioHorn wrote:
shudaizi wrote:
BioHorn wrote:
How right you are!

It was clear for those who've been paying attention to the news....

Even so, we should probably keep our ears and eyes out for articles related to tea speculation.... it will definitely be interesting.

Sep 1st, '15, 20:01

by toby » Sep 1st, '15, 20:01

Becos the bubbles. It is like 2007 all over again but not as bad.

The 800g Dayi Horse Cake was $8000RMB at the peak. Now? $1900RMB. Not that I would buy it.

Expensive aged tea with the quality to back it up (note: could be still overpriced)

A 1999 blue/black ticket big green tree is still more than $10000RMB.

+ Post Reply