Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 19th, '15, 20:42

Re: Official Pu of the day

by BioHorn » Sep 19th, '15, 20:42

Enjoying some 80's "Wet" 7542 sourced by Tony at former Origin Tea.
It is interesting to have a tea this old and this mature. It is right in the sweet spot for drinking.
This tea exhibits some youth and vigour of some nicely stored 90's 7542.

It has a lovely balance of roundness and penetrating core of flavor. Now in later steeps it is going to a nice envelope of grannypowderface perfume. It is labeled "wet" but there is none of that shu-ness that penetrates what I consider to be wet stored older teas, ones that get flabby and hollow.

Well aged puerh can generate what seems to be so similar to good sound production, nice, rich and fulfilling. A sound palate! :mrgreen:
Pictures here:
https://instagram.com/p/73sergvV5m/
https://instagram.com/p/71XAwnvVyI/

EDIT: add photo links
Last edited by BioHorn on Sep 20th, '15, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 19th, '15, 21:06

by shah82 » Sep 19th, '15, 21:06

That doesn't sound like wet. That sounds like normal traditional HK storage that's well done.

Yeah, far as I'm concerned wet-wet storage aged 7542, 8653, or 8582 isn't really worth money that those things cost.

I wonder if length of humidity doesn't have much to do with how good wet storage is? A HK cake that has had its smacking around and then dry stored might be a lot better than a home stored cake that's been soaking up moisture in a very humid climate for years.

Sep 19th, '15, 21:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Sep 19th, '15, 21:48

Some liuan from 2003. Still soothing even though its not that aged.

Sep 20th, '15, 19:09

by BioHorn » Sep 20th, '15, 19:09

shah82 wrote:That doesn't sound like wet. That sounds like normal traditional HK storage that's well done.

Yeah, far as I'm concerned wet-wet storage aged 7542, 8653, or 8582 isn't really worth money that those things cost.

I wonder if length of humidity doesn't have much to do with how good wet storage is? A HK cake that has had its smacking around and then dry stored might be a lot better than a home stored cake that's been soaking up moisture in a very humid climate for years.
I think you are right. This reminds me of the '93 7542 Nada used to sell. It still has great balance.

Also agree that too wet aged can blow out the high notes and richness. It can almost become like shu.

Sep 21st, '15, 01:46

by xiaobai » Sep 21st, '15, 01:46

Last week I've spent some time steeping and studying two Shengs made by Taiwanese Companies, namely Golden Dharma (aka Jin Damo) and Sanhetang's Red label (from 2014 and 2015).

And the thing that astonishes me most is how different steeping parameters one has to employ to really enjoy them.

Already familiar with JIn Damo, which contains a great deal of Jingmai old arbor material with rather large leaves, I find this tea quite sweet, smooth, fragrant, and easy to drink (which for me means that I can drink it in large amounts and my stomach will not badly resent from it).

However, brewing it to full enjoyment typically requires using piping hot water, a yixing pot, and rather long steeping times of the order of minutes.

On the other hand, Sanhetang's red label seems tolerate much less high temperature, and therefore it rather calls for a gaiwan or a shibo.
I am not sure, but my guess it is Yiwu material (need to do some research on this... does somebody know?). The leaves are rather small, with high concentration of buds and a grassy smell. The soup is light and in later steepings it may taste bit thin. However, a very nice sweet aftertaste progressively builds up in the mouth which can be felt for hours and in between meals.

Overall, IMO, a fairly calming/warming Sheng, which is not something I have come across in most young Sheng available nowadays.

However, the vastly different methods required by these two Shengs leaves me wondering whether they can be indeed thought as the same tea type.

Sep 21st, '15, 09:13

by Rui » Sep 21st, '15, 09:13

Rui is drinking a very nice tea made by another Rui: 2014 Rui Gong Tian Chao from Chá Dào. Although young it is pretty smooth, lovely aroma and slightly sweet.

http://shop.chadao.de/product_info.php? ... 114-1.html

Sep 21st, '15, 16:29

by puyuan » Sep 21st, '15, 16:29

xiaobai wrote:Last week I've spent some time steeping and studying two Shengs made by Taiwanese Companies, namely Golden Dharma (aka Jin Damo) and Sanhetang's Red label (from 2014 and 2015).

And the thing that astonishes me most is how different steeping parameters one has to employ to really enjoy them.

Already familiar with JIn Damo, which contains a great deal of Jingmai old arbor material with rather large leaves, I find this tea quite sweet, smooth, fragrant, and easy to drink (which for me means that I can drink it in large amounts and my stomach will not badly resent from it).

However, brewing it to full enjoyment typically requires using piping hot water, a yixing pot, and rather long steeping times of the order of minutes.

On the other hand, Sanhetang's red label seems tolerate much less high temperature, and therefore it rather calls for a gaiwan or a shibo.
I am not sure, but my guess it is Yiwu material (need to do some research on this... does somebody know?). The leaves are rather small, with high concentration of buds and a grassy smell. The soup is light and in later steepings it may taste bit thin. However, a very nice sweet aftertaste progressively builds up in the mouth which can be felt for hours and in between meals.

Overall, IMO, a fairly calming/warming Sheng, which is not something I have come across in most young Sheng available nowadays.

However, the vastly different methods required by these two Shengs leaves me wondering whether they can be indeed thought as the same tea type.

The red mark is a blend of a variety of very low-yield forest regions with small canopies of old trees. Yes, all broadly in Yiwu. I was told the recipe (which I don't think I can disclose) for 2015 is more or less the same as 2014, but the proportions aren't.

Your description surprises me. I'm still a month away from tasting this tea, but knowing what the materials are, and having tasted a couple of similar SHT teas that preceded it, I'd expect a very thick tea.

Different methods... Might be the roasting time and oxidation of the fresh leaves. The processing of these Yiwu forest teas tends to be dodgy because of operational logistics in such places, but I know SHT employs a bunch of people to more or less take care of that. The 13 Chawang bing that's available on the West is very pristine compared to the usual tea from these areas.

Conversely, I've had more than one Jingmai that was processed in a greener fashion. I think deliberately.

Also, XZH employs a lovely technique of picking leaves 1-4 instead of 1-3, which gives their tea a different quality...

P.s. Taking in only the differences in terroir/varietals, these teas are supposed to be hugely different anyway.

Sep 21st, '15, 20:33

by xiaobai » Sep 21st, '15, 20:33

puyuan wrote:[

The red mark is a blend of a variety of very low-yield forest regions with small canopies of old trees. Yes, all broadly in Yiwu. I was told the recipe (which I don't think I can disclose) for 2015 is more or less the same as 2014, but the proportions aren't.

Your description surprises me. I'm still a month away from tasting this tea, but knowing what the materials are, and having tasted a couple of similar SHT teas that preceded it, I'd expect a very thick tea.

Different methods... Might be the roasting time and oxidation of the fresh leaves. The processing of these Yiwu forest teas tends to be dodgy because of operational logistics in such places, but I know SHT employs a bunch of people to more or less take care of that. The 13 Chawang bing that's available on the West is very pristine compared to the usual tea from these areas.

Conversely, I've had more than one Jingmai that was processed in a greener fashion. I think deliberately.

Also, XZH employs a lovely technique of picking leaves 1-4 instead of 1-3, which gives their tea a different quality...

P.s. Taking in only the differences in terroir/varietals, these teas are supposed to be hugely different anyway.
Thanks Puyuan for the additional info on the material/recipe. I must clarify that my impressions are about the 2014 red mark. I've got samples for 2015 material, but have not yet found the time to try them.

As to Jin Damo, I have tried both their 2014 and 2015 productions.

I agree that the Jingmai material used for the JD is different from the Yiwu material in the XZH. I gather that Jingmai gushu is predominantly of the Siniensis varietal, whereas Yiwu is probably Assamica or a different varietal (please, correct me if I am wrong).

But putting aside the terroir and varietal differences, I believe there is some difference in the processing and the mindset of the people who make these products. One (XZH) seems to me similar to a green tea as fas as the required steeping parameters are concerned. On the other hand, the JD requires a steeping technique which is more akin to those of Oolongs.

I am not sure if the JD should be called a Pulong though. There is a lot of negativeness in that qualification. I have drunk aged (from early 2000s) versions of JD and they tasted great: Quite smooth, sweet, and calming.

In any case, even if the processing would put JD into the Pulong category, one should remember that there are plenty of examples of Oolongs that have aged pretty amazingly. I have some high mountain (Lishan) Oolong, which is rather green (not roasted or even re-roasted), which has been around for 15 years and still tastes great.

Sep 21st, '15, 21:31

by puyuan » Sep 21st, '15, 21:31

xiaobai wrote:
puyuan wrote:[

Thanks Puyuan for the additional info on the material/recipe. I must clarify that my impressions are about the 2014 red mark. I've got samples for 2015 material, but have not yet found the time to try them.

As to Jin Damo, I have tried both their 2014 and 2015 productions.

I agree that the Jingmai material used for the JD is different from the Yiwu material in the XZH. I gather that Jingmai gushu is predominantly of the Siniensis varietal, whereas Yiwu is probably Assamica or a different varietal (please, correct me if I am wrong).

But putting aside the terroir and varietal differences, I believe there is some difference in the processing and the mindset of the people who make these products. One (XZH) seems to me similar to a green tea as fas as the required steeping parameters are concerned. On the other hand, the JD requires a steeping technique which is more akin to those of Oolongs.

I am not sure if the JD should be called a Pulong though. There is a lot of negativeness in that qualification. I have drunk aged (from early 2000s) versions of JD and they tasted great: Quite smooth, sweet, and calming.

In any case, even if the processing would put JD into the Pulong category, one should remember that there are plenty of examples of Oolongs that have aged pretty amazingly. I have some high mountain (Lishan) Oolong, which is rather green (not roasted or even re-roasted), which has been around for 15 years and still tastes great.
I agree with all your points. ^^ The aged oolong/heterodox puer parallel has come to me as well. I actually have an older autumn CYH that behaves like that. It was stored exceptionally dry (not just sealed) and I keep it this way. Interesting results.

Would you mind sharing your impressions on the 15 later? I might be foolish enough to bring home a cake of it, and if it stacks up well against the 14 I might be more inclined towards buying it.

Anyways, assessing processing quality is not always that easy. There are is a bit of room for error or experimentation in most steps. (I have for instance been converted to the extra sun drying step that was supposedly used in the antique era). You can see a number of partly reddened leaves in CYH's forest teas, for instance. Still, aged or young, they have behave more immaculate and proper-puer-like, with no hint of hongcha, green tea or pulong, than most of my other teas. The shaiqing has obviously been expertly done. In other teas a similar amount of visual oxidation marks can translate into very bad tea.

Sep 28th, '15, 09:20

by gasninja » Sep 28th, '15, 09:20

I just picked up a cake of the 2006 XZH Yin (black label) tai chi LBZ. Easily braking my spending record on a relatively young tea cake. But I could not help myself I llove this tea. So I could not pass up a chance to grab one. They are available again at houde.

This morning I am drinking a 2001 Xiaguan Traditional characters Iron Discus. I like the way Xiaguans atom smashing compression keeps the teas potency while it ages. I find this in the 92 Shu Fu Lu Xi brick as well. The tea still ages (slowly) but it still keeps some strength that gets lost in more lightly compressed teas. I think this works well with Xiaguans style of tea.
Last edited by gasninja on Sep 29th, '15, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 29th, '15, 06:41

by Tead Off » Sep 29th, '15, 06:41

2014 Dayi 7572. A friend dropped off almost half a bing of this to me the other day. I'd forgotten what a Dayi shoucha tasted like so I put some into my Korean gaiwan and drank it on and off for some hours this afternoon. This tea is ready to drink now. Clean smelling and tasting with a sweetness pervading all the brews. Good flavor and it actually helped settle my rocky digestive system. There were a some leaves of a much lighter color that you can see in the photo. I wonder if they mixed some sheng with this? A very nice drink.
2014 Dayi 7572.jpg
2014 Dayi 7572.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 1347 times

Sep 29th, '15, 07:40

by Rui » Sep 29th, '15, 07:40

At the moment I am sipping 2015 YUNNAN SOURCING "YE ZHU TANG" WILD ARBOR RAW PU-ERH TEA CAKE. From the moment I opened the 25g sample this has been a very nice tea for me. :D

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/rawpu-erh/ ... -cake.html

Oct 3rd, '15, 10:47

by gasninja » Oct 3rd, '15, 10:47

2013 Xi Zhi Hao "Xuan Xi"
This is my first time drinking this tea. It has a certain flavor that I sometimes find in Yan Qing Hao teas. During the first ingusion there was a nice cooling feeling in my throat and a noticeable cha qi.
I like this better than the 2010 XZH productions that I tried.
I would like to know more about about the origin of this tea. Has anyone tried the other 2013 XZH cakes?

Oct 3rd, '15, 21:28

by Grill » Oct 3rd, '15, 21:28

I've had the xzh 2013 Da Xue Shan. I remember it being smokey and salty, little qi but not much. Only a single session and it was a while ago though. I'll do another one tomorrow and post a fresher, more detailed report.

Oct 4th, '15, 12:01
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Oct 4th, '15, 12:01

Slowly working my way through some samples of YS's higer end 2015 shengs and have come across a real butt kicker. About 5 steeps into this 2015 "Mang Zhi" and I'm really feeling the power of this tea. Steeped maybe 4-5 grams in a little 75ish ml gaiwan, and this one has my mind racing and body feeling heavy all at once. First time I've really felt this much from a tea, and all on a quite full stomach no less. Intense!

+ Post Reply