A lost newbie.

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Feb 14th, '08, 23:05

A lost newbie.

by Jessica » Feb 14th, '08, 23:05

Hi all! I'm very new to the world of tea. For Valentine's day I recieved my first teapot, and a variety of teas. Most are tea bags (some green, some flavored, mostly black). I also recieved a bag of mango flavored black tea from our local tea/coffe house. I opened the bag and honestly didn't like the fragrance at all. I decided to try it, hoping that it tastes better than it smells. I just couldn't get into to it, it was just too...fruity? Or something. I don't know. It just wasn't my thing. I think I would like a more bold, warm flavored tea. Growing up in the south, I've lived on heavily sweetened black iced tea, but I'd also like to venture out and find something more light and refreshing.

Does anyone have any suggestions or favorites they would like to share? I'm so new to this tea thing, but I'm very very interested to learn more and try out some new teas. I've been looking at tons of Adagio's tea, and I plan to order many samples to find what I like. Also, tips on brewing.. etc. would be great. :)

Feb 14th, '08, 23:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by fencerdenoctum » Feb 14th, '08, 23:23

Lady Jessica,

Welcome to Teachat! We are glad to have you with us and congratulate you on taking your first step into a larger world.

There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forum and the people who dwell here are quite friendly.

Being from Kentucky, I too was raised on "Southern Sweet Tea" that might as well be less viscous than pitch. If you just want to dip your toe in a bit I suggest Adagio's Ceylon Sonata. You'll take one sip and say "Hey I've had this before!" Ceylon is very common in bagged tea (usually the base for flavored teas) and its a good place to start.

If you want to try a more bold and flavorful black tea, try an Assam. Its got a very bold flavor that I haven't yet acquired a taste for, but lots of people here like it. I myself prefer Yunnans when it comes to black tea. The Yunnan Jig is wonderful and has a bit of a peppery taste, while the Yunnan Gold is very smooth and has that warming quality you are looking for.

Don't be afraid to branch out either! Try everything. Its all delicious.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

Feb 14th, '08, 23:45

by RNteajunkie » Feb 14th, '08, 23:45

Welcome! I understand your love of black tea but this is the best time to try many others for a very decent price. I love the samples. They give you just enough to try, make you want more or say never again. Sampling is the key. I am new also so that is my strategy. So far I am stuck on green tea, have tried to venture out to red tea and did not care for it. Some of the herbals infusions are good. My next quest is to try white tea. Good luck!
Tea Junkie

Feb 15th, '08, 11:34

by xine » Feb 15th, '08, 11:34

Welcome, welcome! Black tea and flavored black teas are usually where many of us tea drinkers start. Once you've gotten your run of them- try out different kinds of black teas, non flavored ones too, and you'll be in a treat regarding the different nuances in flavor, try out oolongs and greens! I love love love oolong, I have at least 5 cups of it a day. :) Enjoy the forum!

Feb 19th, '08, 03:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 19th, '08, 03:49

Hi Jessica and welcome to TeaChat!

Hope you stick around and share many cups with us.

Come check out the TeaFellowship on the TeaDay forum under Teas. There you can share what you are sipping each day and see what everyone else is sipping. There is a daily poll and a tea related discussion topic that is a lot of fun.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 19th, '08, 14:22

by hop_goblin » Feb 19th, '08, 14:22

Hello Jessica welcome aboard

+ Post Reply