New Tea Junkie here!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Feb 14th, '08, 15:20

New Tea Junkie here!

by RNteajunkie » Feb 14th, '08, 15:20

Hello fellow tea junkies,
I have always loved tea but went into a state of shock when I ran across Teavana in a mall. My loose tea obsession began almost immediately. Now 2 months later my only downside was that I did not find the Adagio website until after I purchased some teas from there. Adagio prices are right and you feel as if they truly care. I have gotten my best friend in CA hooked on Adagio.com. But you know what, there can be worse things to be attached to. I am a avid fitness fanatic and try to take care of my body. Adagio has a new consumer. I know there are other sites to purchase loose tea from, so far none have beat their price. My only question is, I got hooked on dragon pearl jasmine green tea. With Adagio, it is a Oolong tea, other places it is a green. Which one is it? I ordered some and it taste the same. Well enough from this junkie, just wanted to say Hello!

Feb 14th, '08, 15:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 14th, '08, 15:56

Welcome to TeaChat, RN...

The adagio listing of Dragon Pearls as an oolong is the same or similar as the greens you see elsewhere. Technically, some argue that Dragon Pearls are not green teas because of the added process of scenting the leaves before halting the oxidation. True green teas are not oxidized.

So, adagio refers to them as oolong.

I hope you stick around TeaChat and share many cups with us. The TeasFellowship is the best. While you are here, I hope you will check out TeaDay, located under Teas. You can see what others are drinking and tell everyone what you are drinking as well. Also, take the daily Poll and participate in the daily discussion topic. Today's is particularly interesting.

Feb 14th, '08, 16:19

by Wesli » Feb 14th, '08, 16:19

Welkommen

Feb 14th, '08, 16:36

by RNteajunkie » Feb 14th, '08, 16:36

Thank you all. Chip thank you for the clarification on the jasmine. I prefer green tea so I was a little taken back when it was classified as Oolong. All is right with the world now!
Tea Junkie

Feb 14th, '08, 16:41

by scruffmcgruff » Feb 14th, '08, 16:41

RNteajunkie, you will find that there is an extremely wide variety of teas in the oolong category, with many different flavors.

Baozhong (aka pouchong), for example, is almost a green tea; bai hao (aka oriental beauty, or oolong #40 on Adagio's site) is almost a black tea. These differences are due to varying degrees of oxidation-- green tea having very little and black tea having very much.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Feb 14th, '08, 19:49

by Salsero » Feb 14th, '08, 19:49

Tenuki wrote a nice page on oxidation in wikiCHA.

http://wikicha.com/index.php/Oxidation

Feb 14th, '08, 20:40

by Victoria » Feb 14th, '08, 20:40

Welcome from Southern California, and yes I live about 25 miles - I think - From your friend!

Feb 14th, '08, 23:49

by RNteajunkie » Feb 14th, '08, 23:49

I will have to let her know that there is a fellow tea junkie near by. She will love it. :)
Tea Junkie

Feb 15th, '08, 00:22

by Victoria » Feb 15th, '08, 00:22

Also we get super fast - usually next day service with Adagio too from their CA location!

Feb 19th, '08, 16:31

by RNteajunkie » Feb 19th, '08, 16:31

Yeah, my friend rubs it in when we order together and she gets her order first. I am on the 2 day delivery.
Tea Junkie

Feb 19th, '08, 23:09

The desire to be English.

by alighthouseinview » Feb 19th, '08, 23:09

Hi, my name is Eugene. I am a tea junkie. I love to drink tea all day when I have no work. I enjoy almost all the teas that I have tried. I do a lot of reading to understand more about the teas that I drink. Yes, you can say that I am a geek.

I think this is the first time I have posted anything on Adagio TeaChat. I have been shopping with them for almost a year or two. I have enjoyed their service very much.

So if you know me, you know that I wish that I was English (family joke). With all the tea and loving James Bond movies.

Well enough about me. Just wanted to say hi.

Feb 19th, '08, 23:15

by GeoffK » Feb 19th, '08, 23:15

I'm new to the forum as well, so welcome.

We have a Teavana here in Portland. Found their teas to be anything but spectacular. They tend to flavor everything (sort of how Starbucks does with Coffee). Good to hear you're expanding your horizons. SO much to discover!!

Feb 19th, '08, 23:55

by forkyfork » Feb 19th, '08, 23:55

scruffmcgruff wrote:RNteajunkie, you will find that there is an extremely wide variety of teas in the oolong category, with many different flavors.

Baozhong (aka pouchong), for example, is almost a green tea; bai hao (aka oriental beauty, or oolong #40 on Adagio's site) is almost a black tea. These differences are due to varying degrees of oxidation-- green tea having very little and black tea having very much.
Is there a correspondingoolong on adagio's site for a baozhong? Adgaio's numbers confuse me :(

Feb 20th, '08, 00:02
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Feb 20th, '08, 00:02

Chip wrote:Welcome to TeaChat, RN...

The adagio listing of Dragon Pearls as an oolong is the same or similar as the greens you see elsewhere. Technically, some argue that Dragon Pearls are not green teas because of the added process of scenting the leaves before halting the oxidation. True green teas are not oxidized.

So, adagio refers to them as oolong.
Ok, I was wondering about that. Awesome.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Feb 20th, '08, 09:41

by Mary R » Feb 20th, '08, 09:41

Heh...this is a perennially popular TeaChat topic--and there is one BRILLIANT thread in the archives that really gives a thorough, enlightening answer. It's a bit hard to find, though, so I searched it out for you (It took me half an hour and I knew what I was looking for!):

Jasmine Tea (and other types)

+ Post Reply