Any good?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 17th, '08, 18:27

Any good?

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Feb 17th, '08, 18:27

I have noticed several people reccomending www.puerhshop.com as a good source. I have noticed that there are many Pu-erh cakes on sale for between 10-30$ for between 350-800grams.......this seems like a lot of tea for not a lot of $.....are these still good cakes to buy or what? Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Thanks!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Feb 22nd, '08, 09:57

Re: Any good?

by hop_goblin » Feb 22nd, '08, 09:57

TaiPing Hou Kui wrote:I have noticed several people reccomending www.puerhshop.com as a good source. I have noticed that there are many Pu-erh cakes on sale for between 10-30$ for between 350-800grams.......this seems like a lot of tea for not a lot of $.....are these still good cakes to buy or what? Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Thanks!

-Nick (TaiPing)
The puerhshop does have some good puerhs. What Jim tries to concentrate are on are smaller factories which will explain the reason many never have heard of the brands that he sells. However, smaller factories may had some advantages in that they can invest more in production than in marketing. I have tried many of his teas - some are bad, some are reallly good but for the most part, most are avg. Go for it!

Feb 24th, '08, 01:32
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Any good?

by Salsero » Feb 24th, '08, 01:32

hop_goblin wrote:... some are really good but for the most part, most are avg...
I have tried a few things from there and have been pleased, but average is just fine with me, esp at under $20. Like you say, TaiPing Hou Kui, it's a good deal of tea for a smallish amount of money and it will likely get better with time if you don't drink it all in the next year or two, unlike our beloved greens.

Hop,
The logical question we have now is: any that you can recommend?

Feb 24th, '08, 03:50

by Wesli » Feb 24th, '08, 03:50

I like puerhshop. I just got done reviewing a tray I bought there. I had a question about it, so I shot them an email (on a saturday) and they replied within a couple hours. They even included a picture to help me out. What great customer service!

Most of the tea is on the mediocre scale, but is a lovely place to start if you're just getting into puerh. They don't have a serious selection of aged puerh. For that, I'd recommend going somewhere else.

The teas I've been enjoying from there are:
2007 Purple leaf (only costs about $11)
2003 Keyixing Yiwu - (one of my favorite young shengs in my collection)
2006 Golden Melon Tuocha (this is one of the few shus (cooked/fermented) that I find palatable)

You can head to the sample section too, which is good for someone just getting into puerh. Then you don't have to buy near a pound of tea just to see if you like it.

+ Post Reply