Tea for children

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Feb 17th, '08, 18:40

Tea for children

by hotfortea » Feb 17th, '08, 18:40

Does anyone have small children that drink herbal teas? I drink about 5 cups of tea per day and I am trying to get my 5 year old to drink tea because of the many health benefits.

Todor :D
HotForTea Social Networking Web Site
For tea lovers around the world
http://hotfortea.ning.com/

Feb 17th, '08, 20:51

by osadczuk » Feb 17th, '08, 20:51

Actually, I would just keep drinking tea.

My children adore tea, but I've been drinking it for long before they were born, they see me drinking it, naturally they want some, and they come and steal it :lol:

Of course, I'm a mean cruel evil mother who only allows milk, juice, water, and tea (well, and soda with pizza once a week) so they don't know the whole fruit drink/soda thing all that well (and, to be fair, I don't drink them.)

But I wouldn't push it. Just let them come around to you while offering healthful alternatives.

(Edited because typing is still not my friend!)

Feb 17th, '08, 21:12

by osadczuk » Feb 17th, '08, 21:12

Bah, I'm not editing again, so new reply time.

I know you are referring to herbals, but for actual tea do be careful and consider that it does contain a drug (caffeine) and watch amounts accordingly. As for herbal tissanes, unless they are something you would generally eat a lot of (only contain fruit, etc.) I would check with your pediatrician about ingredients, etc.

Feb 18th, '08, 06:50

by tseirPsaduJ » Feb 18th, '08, 06:50

I give my older neice diluted herbals/tisanes. She likes them.

I'm glad osadczuk, about the no soda thing. Kids don't need sugar, I think refined sugar and artificial colourings are cruel poison, and kids are satisfied with an occasional "juice-y". Why even start kids on sugar when they really do like water, milk, and juice. sigh.

Feb 18th, '08, 11:46

by Wesli » Feb 18th, '08, 11:46

Herbal tisane, or real tea? I'm apprehensive of giving kids real tea because of the caffeine. I'll be damned if those little buggers get moving faster than they already are.

Feb 18th, '08, 15:57

by xine » Feb 18th, '08, 15:57

I would also agree to stick with herbal tisanes or decaffeinated teas when it comes to the kidlets. I mix some Fruit Medley with mango juice or pomegranate juice when I have to watch my family's assorted brats, and they drink it.

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:19

by henley » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:19

My daughter is 5 & drinks tea w/me & has since she was 3. I'm a mean mommy like osadczuk & only let my kids have water, milk or juice but when she does have tea (apr once a week), I limit her to 1.5 cups, especially since I drink black tea.

Have you considered rooibos? Last year for daughter's bday tea party, I served vanilla rooibos so I didn't have 7 pre-schoolers hyped up on caffeine. My daughter really likes apple cinnamon rooibos, too. She also has her own teaware which makes it special for her. She has a 1.5 cup teapot so she can pour her own tea & her own cup & saucer. She loves feeling "grown-up".

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:38

by GeoffK » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:38

My kids love to share the tea that I drink. Since I do most of my teas gaiwan style they drink from the very small tea cups so their total consumption of tea is not huge and thus the caffeine worry isn't all that great. (There's a good amount of caffeine in chocolate too but parents rarely consider that).

They absolutely love the Tieh Kwan Yin I just bought last week. They go insane over it. I think it's an amazing experience to sit down and share a small pot of tea with your whole family.

Feb 22nd, '08, 17:39

by osadczuk » Feb 22nd, '08, 17:39

GeoffK wrote:(There's a good amount of caffeine in chocolate too but parents rarely consider that).
Ah, but you're assuming I love my children enough to give them chocolate. :twisted:

Feb 23rd, '08, 22:49

by tea knitter » Feb 23rd, '08, 22:49

hello! just had to weigh in on this topic: My almost 7-yr-old LOVES to drink tea and often will request a hot cuppa when she's feeling under the weather or if it's a particularly cold morning. my 2-yr-old constantly is stealing mine and, down here in the south, we are known for putting sweet tea in our babies' bottles. I never did that, as both of mine were breast fed (I'm sure they got some that way!) but I often put it in the little one's sippy cup. I'm more laid back than most - my mom was a "meanie mom" and we sneaked Coke every time we got a chance - I don't stock soft drinks, but I don't forbid them either. Both kids still prefer tea! I use regular black tea w/vanilla and christmas flavoring, sweetened with honey and laced with a bit of milk. The kids are fine, I just don't allow it after 4 or 5 pm. I think the catechins that are also in tea help keep the caffeine buzz to a minimum. I think, from a global perspective, people don't worry as much as we Americans do about what to feed their children. They feed them what the family is having and go on with life. I can't believe that cultures that have survived on tea and rice for eons would decline it to their children. Just my opinion .

Feb 24th, '08, 10:16

by Mary R » Feb 24th, '08, 10:16

tea knitter wrote:I can't believe that cultures that have survived on tea and rice for eons would decline it to their children.
Here here!

Kids bounce a heck of a lot more than we give them credit for.

Aug 20th, '08, 12:23

by Wosret » Aug 20th, '08, 12:23

My husband absolutely refuses to allow me to give our 2.5 year old daughter any tea at all, due to the caffeine. She hasn't liked camomile or peppermint, so far, as I'm trying to find a substitute.

Aug 21st, '08, 01:49

by JadeKitsune » Aug 21st, '08, 01:49

My hat goes off to your courageous parents for bringing your kids up in a health-conscious way. Thank you for making the world a better place.

I will say, to all of you who have shunned pop and sugar-laden sodas for your children -- one day they will thank you!

My mother didn't make soft-drinks available at home, so I grew up without a taste for them.

Now I thank my lucky stars when I hear friends talking about "Dr. Pepper withdrawals" and "caffeine headaches." Plus I don't drink liquid candy bars. ;-)

I'm a fruit, tea, and water chick! And occasionally coffee. I have fond memories of dad brewing a fresh pot in the morning.

Still not overly fond of mornings, but the scent of coffee is like the scent of earth. Rich and comforting.

~ Jess

Aug 21st, '08, 02:04

by chamekke » Aug 21st, '08, 02:04

Certain Japanese teas - particularly kukicha and hojicha - have very low caffeine levels and are therefore given freely to children, the elderly, invalids, and "insomniacs" (those who would have trouble sleeping if they were to drink normal tea).

Also, although it is actually a tisane and not a tea, mugicha (roasted barley "tea") has no caffeine at all and is delicious to drink either hot or chilled. In Japan it's particularly popular as a summertime drink that is served over ice, since it has a slight natural sweetness and is extremely refreshing in hot weather.

Sep 2nd, '11, 17:26

Re: Tea for children

by northstar1219 » Sep 2nd, '11, 17:26

" I think, from a global perspective, people don't worry as much as we Americans do about what to feed their children."

i thought american's were the worst about what they fed themselves and their children. I love tea, but my step kids won't drink anything that isn't the trash their mother gives them. I've tried. Sometimes i'll try to atleast get them to gargle ginger or echinacea tea when they are sick.

+ Post Reply