Oy, Monday again, but wait, it is a holiday and TeaDay!!!!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you gongfu and is there a gender bias in regards to this particular brewing practice?

I am female and I do gongfu
2%
I am a female and I semi gongfu
6%
I am a female and I do not gongfu
35%
I am a male and I do gongfu
16%
I am a male and I semi gongfu
27%
I am a male and I do not gongfu
14%

Total votes: 49

Feb 18th, '08, 17:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 18th, '08, 17:45

tenuki wrote: I like this tea a lot too. Very decent representation of a Li Shan. I found it to be obviously better than the 2007 winter Li Shan that I got in the same order.
I agree I like it better too. On my third steep now. Not sure how far I can push it with the big steeps that I do. But I'll at least try the 4th later.

Feb 18th, '08, 17:47

by Chip » Feb 18th, '08, 17:47

tenuki wrote:Gyokuro
What is up, Tenuki??? Are turning to the steamed leaf side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 18th, '08, 17:51

by tenuki » Feb 18th, '08, 17:51

Chip wrote:
tenuki wrote:Gyokuro
What is up, Tenuki??? Are turning to the steamed leaf side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, just not a raving mono maniac like a lot of the coke heads and grass clippers around here. :)
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Feb 18th, '08, 18:22

by Salsero » Feb 18th, '08, 18:22

Notice to reader: No portion of the following is to be construed as sarcastic, humorous, distainful, pretentious, tongue-in-cheek, mocking, distainful, uppity or other than the straight dope:*
Scruff McGruff wrote:Sarcasm? It would be very like you...
Once or twice I make an off handed comment, and I get a rep! I am full bore raving on this topic and (without sarcasm) applaud your efforts. I only regret not getting to the spot before you. I hope you have saved a copy of that reply because I guarantee it will be needed again within 30 days and I always have to fumble through stuff to find the references.
tenuki wrote:That's right, never...
Wow! You are so lucky to have access to this kind of wisdom and experience and we are so lucky that you describe it so vividly. (Again, no sacasm intended)
tenuki wrote:Gong Fu just means skillful, not anal.
Guilty as charged, your honor! I think I failed to time a steep last March, but otherwise ... Also, I have a written record, as Wesli will testify. Don't even get me started on scales and thermometers.

(You know, in the future, when I intend to be sarcastic, I will nod my head a little to the right -- like this -- OK?)**

*Except perhaps the first sentence.

**Oh, and maybe the last.

Feb 18th, '08, 19:42

by tenuki » Feb 18th, '08, 19:42

As always you crack me up Salsero. :D
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Feb 18th, '08, 20:10

by Space Samurai » Feb 18th, '08, 20:10

I use gong fu lite. I have the lil' yixing pots and gaiwans and tasting cups, and I use large amounts of leaf (1 gram/30 ml) for shortish periods of time. Now that I think of it, not that short. I know people how brew like, 15s, 15s, 22s, 30s, and so on, and more of a 1 min, 1.5 min, 3 min, kind of guy.

I don't use any of the little tools or snifter cups, and if I'm not reviewing the tea, I'm likely to decant the whole thing into a larger cup (4 oz). I will use a cha he to measure out tea, but I will also use a tasting cup, gaiwan lid, gaiwan, tea pot lids or whatever's available.

Oh, I think I drank some tea this morning, but I, oh wait, I do remember; it was some houji-genmai and some powdered sencha.

Feb 18th, '08, 20:57

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 18th, '08, 20:57

Scruff McGruff wrote: A typical trip to the mall:

My girlfriend: "Ooh, shiny!"
Me: "I'll be in the discovery/apple/electronics store, call me when you resurface."
Sadly, my boyfriend also has the same tendency I do to go "Ooh, shiny!" but he generally does that to computer hardware.

Today was a long day. My mother had some major surgery so I was at the hospital from 11am until 8:30pm. I had some fukamushi maki before I left in the morning and some powdered sencha during the day. I am switching to foxtrot now. At least mom is all done with the surgery, it went well, and she is recovering. But I am tired and hit the wrong button. I don't gongfu. I think I hit semi-gongfu. Gah for long days.

Feb 18th, '08, 21:16

by Ladytiger » Feb 18th, '08, 21:16

I under did my tea today with a total ofone kind of tea with 2 steapings.

Feb 18th, '08, 21:21

by daughteroftheKing » Feb 18th, '08, 21:21

This morning started slowly (don't you love days off from work?) with Jasmine Pearls (my favorite).
This afternoon enjoyed a tea from Haney & Sons, a black tea with "fruit & caramel" flavorings, called Paris. Tastes like one I've tried elsewhere called Monk's Blend. Would make a good dessert tea.
And this evening, relaxing next to the wood stove with some of my own blend: White Darjeeling with roses & peppermint & lavender.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Feb 18th, '08, 21:31

by Michael_C » Feb 18th, '08, 21:31

No gong fu over here.

I wonder if maybe it's Western men who go so full tilt on the gong fu... I've noticed that all the kyusu collecting and fancy teaware is pretty exclusive to my returning to America. All the Japanese I know use pedestrian brewing equipment, with water drawn from a zojirushi. Likewise, most have never been to a tea ceremony or drink matcha on any sort of regular basis. All that teaware and ritual looks very pretty, but not crucial to actually making and drinking tea. Unless of course it makes you happy, in which case, more power to you!

Regarding the gender split, most teamasters in Japan are male, as well as proprietors of tea shops. As far as drinking and making tea, everybody does it, men and women, younger and older.

Feb 18th, '08, 21:31

by RussianSoul » Feb 18th, '08, 21:31

Oh, I love this Paris blend from Harney's! Glad to see you enjoy it too!

Ok, today I started with Adagio's Assam Melody. It is a nice tea - I will finish my sample, but too bad I tried Harmony first :D.

Then I made a pot of Golden Monkey for the afternoon, but did not put enough leaf. It came out nice, but light, without the chocolate notes I wanted to taste.

I am a girl and I don't gongfu. I actually did not know about the gongfu before I came on this forum. Now I know of it and am interested, love eastern ceremony, but have to learn how to do it first.

Feb 18th, '08, 21:51

by Space Samurai » Feb 18th, '08, 21:51

Michael_C wrote:All the Japanese I know use pedestrian brewing equipment, with water drawn from a zojirushi. Likewise, most have never been to a tea ceremony or drink matcha on any sort of regular basis.
I still say comparing average Japanese tea drinkers to more serious tea drinkers is like apples and oranges. The average Japanese tea drinker, while they may drink more tea, do not pursue tea to the same lenghts as some of us do. Likewise I am sure tea drinkers like myself have numerous counterparts in Japan; we're just not average.

It's just like coffee--I make this comparison because Amercians drink coffee like Japan drinks tea. If you want great coffee, the best thing to do is grind your own beans and use something other than a coffee maker to prepare it. But if you go into the average person's home, all they may have is a coffee maker. Average and normal is not the path to excellence.

Sorry, but I feel about this general missconception the way scruff feels about "rinsing away caffiene." People from tea drinking nations (China, Japan, England), are not inherently more knowledgeable or expereinced when it comes to tea.

Feb 18th, '08, 22:01

by henley » Feb 18th, '08, 22:01

"Mary R--but it seems that after marriage and children come along, it's the women that step up and make sure the other stuff gets done too.

I remember when I found this site sharing w/hubby about people who drink tea asian style... heat the water to certain temps, multiple infusions, special measuring tools & pots & all the ceremony stuff wondering who has time for this? This poll has definitely help answer my question. Some days I'm doing good to boil a pot of water.

So I will be joining you other ladies who don't gongfu nor have the desire to. I'm content w/my pretty victorian teaware & a simple cuppa tea. Off to make some pomegranate oolong to end the evening.

Feb 18th, '08, 22:19

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Feb 18th, '08, 22:19

Late in the day but I have been drinking "Daily Sencha" from ITOEN that the slaes rep sent to me for free.......not bad, but not great either......I am on abou the 5th cup (6oz cup that is). Anyway, I hope everyone who had the day off enjoyed it!
*I just ordered a Gaiwan, so soon I will be semi-gonfuing it!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Feb 18th, '08, 22:52

by Victoria » Feb 18th, '08, 22:52

daughteroftheKing wrote: This afternoon enjoyed a tea from Haney & Sons, a black tea with "fruit & caramel" flavorings, called Paris.
I too enjoy the Paris blend, a great morning brew.

The fourth steep of 2006 Winter Li-Shan was flat, lacked depth, I guess I can't push it past 3. I only used 1 teaspoon of leaves to start. Remarkable really.