Tuesday, 2/19/08, TeaDayyyyyyyyyy

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

A follow up to yesterday, what technology do you use when brewing TEA?

I am female and I eye ball everything
16%
I am female and I use some tech tools such as a thermometer &/or a timer
31%
I am female and I am hard core using everything including a digital scale
6%
I am male and I eyeball everything
16%
I am male and I use some tech tools such as a thermometer &/or a timer
16%
I am male and I am hard core using everything including a digital scale
14%

Total votes: 49

Feb 19th, '08, 14:50

by henley » Feb 19th, '08, 14:50

TexasTea wrote: I still have some (dare I say it) Republic of Tea teabags in the "Comfort and Joy Black Tea" seasonal blend, which tastes something like spiced apple cider. Love the tea, would like to find a good loose blend that is comparable. Any suggestions? It is described as cloves, apples, and cinnamon blended with fine black tea.
Based on what you've said, I think you'd like Harney & Sons Apple Cinnamon tea. It's a favorite here at my house (& I'm waiting impatiently on an order of it). When I really want a lot of apple flavor, I mix equal parts apple juice & water then steep cinnamon tea in it. Tastes like apple cider that has been simmering all day.

Today's tea was an experiment. Mixed equal parts cinnamon & cranberry tea. Don't know that I would make it again but it was good w/bfast.

Interesting question today, Chip. :wink: I'm a low-tech girl. I used to use my regular kitchen measuring spoons until hubby got me a nice set of pewter measuring spoons that I only use for my tea. That, my whistling tea kettle & the timer on the stove are as technical as I get.

Feb 19th, '08, 15:31

by osadczuk » Feb 19th, '08, 15:31

Darn, it sucks that I missed yesterday's chat (for the record, a girl, and no gong fu.) As for brewing technique - I do use an actual teaspoon and the appropriate temp of water (kind of, I generally do blacks - so a rolling boil it is, for greens, it would be my TriniTEA and it's cooler setting all the way.) But no scale, etc. for me.

Today I have two sick kids at home and got no sleep after last night's late night "revelry" so I'm just on coffee. Tea later, I promise. (And space - for the record, I'm one of those silly coffee drinkers who doesn't even own a coffee maker. French press or bust!)

Feb 19th, '08, 15:53

by TexasTea » Feb 19th, '08, 15:53

henley wrote:Based on what you've said, I think you'd like Harney & Sons Apple Cinnamon tea. It's a favorite here at my house (& I'm waiting impatiently on an order of it). When I really want a lot of apple flavor, I mix equal parts apple juice & water then steep cinnamon tea in it. Tastes like apple cider that has been simmering all day.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give it a try next time I order from HT. Steeping cinnamon in apple juice & water sounds yummy, will have to give that a try as well!

Feb 19th, '08, 16:02

by forkyfork » Feb 19th, '08, 16:02

I just got a scale for my birthday, and I have been using that a lot more than I thought I would. It's amazing how much you THINK 2.25 grams is, but when you actually measure it - it's completely different.

Like others have said, it depends on where I am. When I'm at home, I bust out all the stops - thermometer, timer (on the oven), and my scale. A lot of times I'll use the TriniTEA, but there's still precise-ness to that.

But when I'm at work, all bets are off. I don't have the time or energy to prepare tea like I do at home. I use water from the hot-water dispenser. I do have a thermometer at work, but for the most part, I don't use it. I steep around a minute or so. I purposely choose more forgiving teas at work (like flavored greens) that won't brew badly if there is a slight change in the water or steeping time.

Feb 19th, '08, 16:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 19th, '08, 16:03

Ok, it's 1:00 and I'm on my 3rd brew of the day - Imperial TKY

I forgot my lunch and I'm starving!

Feb 19th, '08, 16:11

by Chip » Feb 19th, '08, 16:11

Mmmmm, leftover pasta!!!

TeaDay is going generally well for everyone I see. As usual, I am in catch up mode.

Takumi sencha from Yame prefecture is in my cup...just about done...

I guess I fall into the TeaScientist category, I am not only a creature of habit, but love my digital scale, thermometer, and timer. I can say I truly enjoy using these tools to bring out my perfect cup. But I admire those who can eye ball it.

Since I drink a lot of Japanese tea, I probably rely on these things more that most tea drinkers. I think Chinese tea is much more forgiving.

Feb 19th, '08, 16:24

by Salsero » Feb 19th, '08, 16:24

OK, can I help it if my Dao of Tea includes every piece of shiny tech I can lay my hands on? I made my Simao China black this morning with 2.8 grams of leaf. Then I proceeded to pour hot water all over the digital scale. Now I brew everything at EEEE.

Fortunately, I have a couple spare scales at home. You're not surprised?
:shock:

Feb 19th, '08, 16:26

by Salsero » Feb 19th, '08, 16:26

Victoria's Own wrote:Ok, it's 1:00 and I'm on my 3rd brew of the day - Imperial TKY
I forgot my lunch and I'm starving!
Food be damned! What happened to the Bai Ji Guan? Only 2 steeps?
Last edited by Salsero on Feb 19th, '08, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 19th, '08, 16:31

by twistedinside » Feb 19th, '08, 16:31

I HAVE a thermometer. I used it in the beginning. But I know my favorite teas now, and don't worry about it too much. When I try new teas, I do use it.

Feb 19th, '08, 16:34

by Victoria » Feb 19th, '08, 16:34

Chip wrote:Mmmmm, leftover pasta!!!
Oh no you did int!!
Salsero wrote: Now I brew everything at EEEE.
Hysterical!

Um, sadly yes only two steeps. Not premium quality, but rather nice and enjoyable for the two anyway.

This TQY should go 3.

Feb 19th, '08, 16:36

by RNteajunkie » Feb 19th, '08, 16:36

I use a deep tea spoon, my Zojirushi Tea Kettle (a must have if you drink a lot of tea), and my personal tea pot. I also use the timer off the stove.
Tea Junkie

Feb 19th, '08, 16:41

by Space Samurai » Feb 19th, '08, 16:41

No tea yet. :cry:

My useage of tea gadgets is moderate. Well, moerate-ish. I always use a timer, but that's more so I don't forget the tea than to make sure I brew it for exactly the right time.

I only use a thermometer for sencha, everything else, oolong, white, pu, matcha and other greens, I don't bother.

I use a scale most of the time. I would rather be considered anal than drink mediocre cup after mediocre cup because I didn't add enough tea or used too much. If anything using a scale it easier for me; I don't have to mess with variations in leaf sizes.

Feb 19th, '08, 16:57

by jogrebe » Feb 19th, '08, 16:57

Guy here and I use a few "tech tools" which include a measuring teaspoon and a timer. When my current electric kettle breaks (happens at least once every 2-3) years I plan on getting either a variable temperature kettle or one of those Japanese variable temperature dispensing pots. But for now I just use a mix of boiling and cold water for my greens and whites but I don't bother measuring the temperature.

Feb 19th, '08, 18:20

by Pentox » Feb 19th, '08, 18:20

Space Samurai wrote:No tea yet. :cry:
Are you feeling ok? You're not posessed by mind altering demons are you?

So far today i'm on Adagio Blueberry white and Adagio Sencha Premier. (Trying to finish up some samples to get some tins goin')

Feb 19th, '08, 18:22

by GeoffK » Feb 19th, '08, 18:22

2nd cup today is a 1996 Meng Hai Pu erh I just picked up at Serenity Art in Portland. Yum!