Apr 21st, '16, 10:41

Iga-yaki chawan

by Olivier » Apr 21st, '16, 10:41

Hi all,
Living in France, I have been browzing the web for hours and all possible auction sites, japanese galleries like Tosei, known dealers like AN, etc... without being able to find a decent iga-yaki chawan at less than 150,000+ yen which I can't afford.
Any idea where I should look for ? Help would be very much appreciated.
thanks.
Olivier

Apr 21st, '16, 20:15

Re: Iga-yaki chawan

by Tead Off » Apr 21st, '16, 20:15

Olivier wrote:Hi all,
Living in France, I have been browzing the web for hours and all possible auction sites, japanese galleries like Tosei, known dealers like AN, etc... without being able to find a decent iga-yaki chawan at less than 150,000+ yen which I can't afford.
thanks.
Olivier
If you persist on sites like ebay and Yahoo Japan, you should be able to find something much lower than Y150K. Here's one that sold for $455.
Attachments
Fukusima Kazuhiro  福島一紘 Iga $455. ebay.JPG
Fukusima Kazuhiro 福島一紘 Iga $455. ebay.JPG (30.9 KiB) Viewed 5888 times

Apr 21st, '16, 23:01

by LouPepe » Apr 21st, '16, 23:01

thanks.
Olivier
Iga seems quite a bit more elusive than Bizen or Hagi for example. The number of potters is substantially lesser last I heard than the more famous kilns. Also seems as though there is a bigger gap between market pricing. I personally prefer Iga to any of the other 'unglazed wares' made in Japan. If you like the unglazed feel and look you could also check out Mitch Iburg ceramics from the US. The chawans are still in the $200 to $300 range but could possibly go up soon if demand persists.

Sites I frequent in search of nice Japanese wares (besides AN) are Thes Du Japon, Goldmark, Vessels.JP Trocadero, and 2000 Cranes. The 3 latter are pricey but sometimes there are kofuku chawan that are less pricey.

Apr 22nd, '16, 09:09

by .m. » Apr 22nd, '16, 09:09

Apr 22nd, '16, 12:16

by Tead Off » Apr 22nd, '16, 12:16

.m. wrote:have you been looking here?
http://www.jauce.com/category-leaf/2084024082
This is a proxy site for Yahoo Japan.

Apr 23rd, '16, 00:12

by Olivier » Apr 23rd, '16, 00:12

Tead Off wrote:
.m. wrote:have you been looking here?
http://www.jauce.com/category-leaf/2084024082
This is a proxy site for Yahoo Japan.
Thank you very much for your contribution.
The one you show in your first picture is actually coming from a gallery namely tobetobekusa made by Fukushima. A fine piece, at a reasonable price, but... sold.
I have never bought on Jauce, to be honest I don't understand how to access it and make a search so thanks for the link. I believe you are quite right in that one has to patiently search and wait to find a fine piece of iga-yaki as opposed to raku and hagi which tend to be plenty.
I'm trying my luck with Tosei and possibly a young artist not yet famous, as opposed to Aiko Watanabe, Sawana Hiroyuki, etc...

Apr 23rd, '16, 00:25

by Olivier » Apr 23rd, '16, 00:25

LouPepe wrote:
thanks.
Olivier
Iga seems quite a bit more elusive than Bizen or Hagi for example. The number of potters is substantially lesser last I heard than the more famous kilns. Also seems as though there is a bigger gap between market pricing. I personally prefer Iga to any of the other 'unglazed wares' made in Japan. If you like the unglazed feel and look you could also check out Mitch Iburg ceramics from the US. The chawans are still in the $200 to $300 range but could possibly go up soon if demand persists.

Sites I frequent in search of nice Japanese wares (besides AN) are Thes Du Japon, Goldmark, Vessels.JP Trocadero, and 2000 Cranes. The 3 latter are pricey but sometimes there are kofuku chawan that are less pricey.
Thank you for your reply.
I have search those vendors with no results so far.
To be honest I don't understand market price on iga : it's out of any rational as far as I saw it.
I'd like to be able to say which is a nice unglazed vessel to use, but right right I only tried Bizen and Shigaraki. Both are a different feel, while the latter is a strong chazen destructor if whisking is not appropriate.
I'd like to stick to Japanese potters for chawan at the time being, even though it might sound restrictive and some foreign potters produce interesting works. I even think some understand or pay more attention to produce a proper chawan than Japanese ones that might make more of a bowl than a chawan. But I'm interesting in the making but to a certain extend to the clay too.

Apr 23rd, '16, 01:40

by Tead Off » Apr 23rd, '16, 01:40

Olivier wrote:
LouPepe wrote:
thanks.
Olivier

To be honest I don't understand market price on iga : it's out of any rational as far as I saw it.
I'd like to be able to say which is a nice unglazed vessel to use, but right right I only tried Bizen and Shigaraki. Both are a different feel, while the latter is a strong chazen destructor if whisking is not appropriate.
I'd like to stick to Japanese potters for chawan at the time being, even though it might sound restrictive and some foreign potters produce interesting works. I even think some understand or pay more attention to produce a proper chawan than Japanese ones that might make more of a bowl than a chawan. But I'm interesting in the making but to a certain extend to the clay too.
If I may add a couple of helpful things so you can understand better how Yahoo Japan works. It is really for the domestic Japanese market. The only way you can buy is through proxy sites like Jauce and From Japan. It's like Taobao, someone domestically doesn the buying for you, they charge a commission + other fees. When they pay for you, the item is sent to them. In turn, they send to you. Jauce is more expensive than the others, but their interface is easier to use. You can do the searching and when you find something, you can go to From Japan and find the item and bid from there. It saves you a bit of money.

There is no doubt that Shigaraki chawans are very destructive to chasen. Mine is a wreck. But I find the flavor of matcha in an unglazed Shigaraki chawan superior to almost anything else. Choose well.

Apr 23rd, '16, 11:35

by Pig Hog » Apr 23rd, '16, 11:35

This is (allegedly) igayaki, though the potter's name is unknown to me. I won it from Hayashi-san's Japanese.Artisan eBay shop for 38USD.

Excuse the rubbish in the background!

Apr 24th, '16, 04:32

by Olivier » Apr 24th, '16, 04:32

Tead Off wrote:
Olivier wrote:
LouPepe wrote:
thanks.
Olivier

If I may add a couple of helpful things so you can understand better how Yahoo Japan works. It is really for the domestic Japanese market. The only way you can buy is through proxy sites like Jauce and From Japan. It's like Taobao, someone domestically doesn the buying for you, they charge a commission + other fees. When they pay for you, the item is sent to them. In turn, they send to you. Jauce is more expensive than the others, but their interface is easier to use. You can do the searching and when you find something, you can go to From Japan and find the item and bid from there. It saves you a bit of money.

There is no doubt that Shigaraki chawans are very destructive to chasen. Mine is a wreck. But I find the flavor of matcha in an unglazed Shigaraki chawan superior to almost anything else. Choose well.
Thanks again for the help. Jauce really looks like too complicated for non-Japanese people. I have a Japanese friend in Tokyo but I am already abusing his generosity and time, I would not like to become rude and ask for more though he admits himself many companies do not sell abroad and only supply the Japanese market, Takahashinori for instance does not ship Kama outside Japan.
I might have found a nice Iga-yaki chawan, and fortunately it looks like a tsustu one which might help saving the chasen. A pricey piece (for me) but nicely made and still far below the ¥300K (!!!) for a Fujioka Shuhei one...

Apr 24th, '16, 07:05

by Tead Off » Apr 24th, '16, 07:05

Olivier wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
Olivier wrote:
LouPepe wrote:
thanks.
Olivier

Thanks again for the help. Jauce really looks like too complicated for non-Japanese people. I have a Japanese friend in Tokyo but I am already abusing his generosity and time, I would not like to become rude and ask for more though he admits himself many companies do not sell abroad and only supply the Japanese market, Takahashinori for instance does not ship Kama outside Japan.
I might have found a nice Iga-yaki chawan, and fortunately it looks like a tsustu one which might help saving the chasen. A pricey piece (for me) but nicely made and still far below the ¥300K (!!!) for a Fujioka Shuhei one...
Here's something that could have been bought on Jauce for Y30K!!! Joan Mirviss Gallery in N.Y. sells his chawans for more than $3000. This is only for the rich to buy, and then what? How does one make an investment like this and ever hope to resell it anywhere near those prices outside Japan? One really has to think wisely about buying things like this unless money is no object.
Attachments
Fujioka Shuhei Iga ¥30K.jpg
Fujioka Shuhei Iga ¥30K.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

Apr 24th, '17, 11:34

by LouPepe » Apr 24th, '17, 11:34

Tead Off wrote:
Olivier wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
Olivier wrote:
LouPepe wrote:
thanks.
Olivier

Here's something that could have been bought on Jauce for Y30K!!! Joan Mirviss Gallery in N.Y. sells his chawans for more than $3000. This is only for the rich to buy, and then what? How does one make an investment like this and ever hope to resell it anywhere near those prices outside Japan? One really has to think wisely about buying things like this unless money is no object.
Oh my! That is a fantastic piece!! And the price..

+ Post Reply