Tai Ping Hou Kui

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 22nd, '08, 09:39

Tai Ping Hou Kui

by hop_goblin » Feb 22nd, '08, 09:39

Any impressions on this tea? I am looking for a new green and ran across this one particular tea, but never got around to sampling it. Good, bad, never, taste?

Feb 22nd, '08, 09:45

by Warden Andy » Feb 22nd, '08, 09:45

It's a thicker, maybe "brothy" kind of green. The one from DTH is more orchid, and lightly nutty. The one from teaspring has a slightly smoky flavor that makes it taste similar to some young puerh.
Super elite tea facist....

Feb 22nd, '08, 09:51

by hop_goblin » Feb 22nd, '08, 09:51

Warden wrote:It's a thicker, maybe "brothy" kind of green. The one from DTH is more orchid, and lightly nutty. The one from teaspring has a slightly smoky flavor that makes it taste similar to some young puerh.
Cool thanks andy! Brothy sounds interesting.. I have heard that there is a certain TaiPing that is extremely rare in that less than 500 kilos are produced.

Feb 22nd, '08, 11:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Feb 22nd, '08, 11:21

It's worth it for the aesthetic of the leaf alone.

I really enjoy a good batch but like much of the tea world consistency is a problem, the last batch I had was from Teaspring and was pretty decent. One of the better ones I've had was from Kam at Funalliance but his new stock last summer was quite a bit more expensive and even he commented on the product page that it really wasn't up to his last batch.

Feb 22nd, '08, 16:37

by JT » Feb 22nd, '08, 16:37

Tai Ping Hou Kui can be really good and is worth a try. I need to sample more varieties of it though. I'm limited in my experience with it from only two vendors. The teaspring batch I had last year was nice. It's definitely a bolder flavor then other Chinese greens I've had.

Feb 22nd, '08, 17:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Feb 22nd, '08, 17:24

I got the TeaSpring one earlier on last year and really like it. It's quite different from most greens, and tends to change noticeably with each infusion. I actually like the later infusions best, being a bit more peachy.

Mar 4th, '08, 20:44

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 4th, '08, 20:44

Well, it isnt my teachat.com name for nothing........TaiPing is my favorite chinese green and I have a wonderful private vendor that I get it from. The one that I drink daily has a very brothy look/feel and a light chestnut taste and aroma. The following infusions are slightly peachy lke ABX described. The leaves aer about as long as my fingers, barely broken at all and the marks from the drying racks look prettier than a well grilled steak! I have about a pound of it in nitrogen sealed bags from the most recent harvest. (He told me he was going to get it to me sooner and then took a lot longer than expected so he sent me extra at no charge!)

*Hop--I would most certainly be willing to send you a small amount, or trade a slightly larger amount for some Pu

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 5th, '08, 09:10

by hop_goblin » Mar 5th, '08, 09:10

TaiPing Hou Kui wrote:Well, it isnt my teachat.com name for nothing........TaiPing is my favorite chinese green and I have a wonderful private vendor that I get it from. The one that I drink daily has a very brothy look/feel and a light chestnut taste and aroma. The following infusions are slightly peachy lke ABX described. The leaves aer about as long as my fingers, barely broken at all and the marks from the drying racks look prettier than a well grilled steak! I have about a pound of it in nitrogen sealed bags from the most recent harvest. (He told me he was going to get it to me sooner and then took a lot longer than expected so he sent me extra at no charge!)

*Hop--I would most certainly be willing to send you a small amount, or trade a slightly larger amount for some Pu

-Nick (TaiPing)

Sounds delightful! Thanks for the offer Tai! I really appreciate that! I actually ordered the Tai Ping from DTH. So, I will be recieving it in the next few weeks! But thanks again! The notes also sound tasty!

Hop

+ Post Reply