Finally Friday, TeaDay TeaDay TeaDay, 2.22.08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Proinsias asks, "what water source do you use to brew TEA?

Bottled water
18%
Tap...nonfiltered
26%
Tap...filtered
38%
Bamboo charcoal
2%
Reverse Osmosis
5%
Your own spring
No votes
Your own well
8%
Other
3%

Total votes: 61

Feb 22nd, '08, 11:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Feb 22nd, '08, 11:38

I'm a big fan of the tapwater around here; Glasgow, Scotland. I run it through a brita max filter but I'm in the process of deciding on a seperate tap and filter system from the mains.

I got a sample of the bamboo charcoal form Teamasters and I from what I can tell it helps a little and seems to do no harm.

The lady who first encouraged me to spend silly amounts of money on tea was of the opinion that the two best drinks in the world, whisky & tea, come from the two best water supplies in the world, Scotland & China. I'm aware this may be debatable, It might be better to debate it with me when I've been drinking tea as opposed to the other option.

If there are any whisky drinkers out there a few spots of fine tea added some fine whisky does far more than a few drops of water ever could - finding the right matches is the fun bit, hic.

Some of the most enjoyable tea I've had recently was at the Rockness music festival on the morning after the first night's partying. The water was drawn from Loch Ness and prepared on a small hill overlooking the loch, whether it was the loch water or simply that my body was so glad for good tea I don't really know or care.

I'm trying to be happy for those with their own wells and springs but it is sticking in my throat somewhat.

Feb 22nd, '08, 11:53

by Mil » Feb 22nd, '08, 11:53

Unfiltered tap water for me. The tap water here is excellent, and the few times I've drunk filtered water, I thought it tasted seriously weird. Maybe it's an acquired taste? I figure I might as well make my tea with the water I drink every day.

Feb 22nd, '08, 12:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 22nd, '08, 12:02

At work now and switching to Upton Tie-Guan-Yin Oolong 2nd Grade -

You know what? I liked my breakfast one better. This has a bitter bite and a soapy taste. I have not been impressed with any oolongs from Upton so far.

Cold, rainy, dreary day here in usually sunny Southern CA.

Feb 22nd, '08, 12:28

by Scarlet Glow » Feb 22nd, '08, 12:28

I use tap water that I filter before boiling. Because I live in the city, the tap water here is decent enough to use without filtering. So, if I'm in a rush I may skip the filtering step.

Oy, I almost had another day without tea. :shock: However, I managed to stop by Starbucks for some "Zen" on my way to work... which is what I'm currently sipping on.

I can't wait to get home and have some good stuff!

Feb 22nd, '08, 12:43

by twistedinside » Feb 22nd, '08, 12:43

Eh, you know me! On that assam kick, almost out of it, will have to swap to something different soon. *laughs*

I'm kind of a water heathen....I make my tea out of whatever is available.

Feb 22nd, '08, 13:19

by olivierco » Feb 22nd, '08, 13:19

Houjicha for my lunch break.
Kaburagien hand rubbed sencha this afternoon. That's the end of this package, I will be able to open a new sencha, maybe Ippodo Sencha Kaboku or Zencha Yame Sencha "The Ultimate" as they call it.
Darjeeling Puttabong S.F.T.G.F.O.P.1 now just before dinner.
Maybe a fifth tea later in the night.

Nonfiltred tapwater for all of them but the sencha.

Feb 22nd, '08, 13:25

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 22nd, '08, 13:25

I use whatever I can find for water. We had a brita at school, but the pitcher is cracked and held together with duct tape. At home, we have a really nice reverse osmosis system which makes for really good water. I voted for that since it is what I have been using since I am home at the time being. If I am at school, I use bottled water, tap water, or the brita filter water depending on my motivation.

This morning, I tried some jasmine dragon pearls that I found at the oriental shop. It didn't go over well and I nearly gagged from the floral scent. I couldn't even try a sip of it. I quickly switched to the Vanilla Rooibos to save me. The goal this afternoon is try some white tea.

Feb 22nd, '08, 13:55

by TimeforTea » Feb 22nd, '08, 13:55

I use a filter on my tap water. Our water here is notoriously hard, and I do need to look into getting a water softener as well.

This morning I drank my first try of adagio's jasmine #12. The first sip or two was very floral, but I enjoyed the rest of my second cup very much.

The weather here in NJ is horrible. I plan to drink a lot of tea since I am at home today.

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:04

by xine » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:04

Time4Tea wrote:I use a filter on my tap water. Our water here is notoriously hard, and I do need to look into getting a water softener as well.

This morning I drank my first try of adagio's jasmine #12. The first sip or two was very floral, but I enjoyed the rest of my second cup very much.

The weather here in NJ is horrible. I plan to drink a lot of tea since I am at home today.
I here you Time4Tea. I just got my brudder to shovel my car out..hehe...the perks of working from home!

My feet are very cold, and I would like to soak them in some of my Golden Monkey i'm having, nice and piping hot. I'm going to blend some teas for a friend coming to brave the conditions and have some fancy formosa oolong once i can get away to eat something..a little chicken vindaloo? Perhaps I should have a Darjeeling instead. :)

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:20

by Pentox » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:20

Heh, I really wonder what that must be like for you guys in NJ. It's 50 here with a few scattered showers. I don't think I can really comprehend what it's like when it's that cold.

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:24

by Sam. » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:24

I use tap water filtered in my Brita pitcher. It tastes fine to me!

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:31

by Wesli » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:31

We got the #1 water here in Oregon. Represent. I pour the tap straight into my Zojirushi. The Zoji hits the dechlorination mode, and voila. Perfect tea water.

Woke up with some Golden Monkey, then some sencha before and after class.

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:34

by henley » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:34

I use filtered well water. It's filtered before it gets in the house but I still use a Pur pitcher for drinking water because our water is very hard.

Finished off my Valentine's tea sample this morning. Between drinking what I liked & giving away what I didn't, I'm running low on tea & waiting for oders to arrive any day. I've got several oolong samples coming as well as a mate. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:36

by tenuki » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:36

I use britta water from the tap for my zoji for everyday teas, but for the good stuff I use Fiji water and my electric kettle. and the good stuff is pretty much all I'm drinking right now. yay!

Ali Shan from teahome.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Feb 22nd, '08, 14:56

by GeoffK » Feb 22nd, '08, 14:56

Wesli wrote:We got the #1 water here in Oregon.
I 100% agree. It's hard when I travel as we're just so water spoiled here :)

My 2nd tea today was Ten Fu's Tieh Kwan Yin I picked up on the cheap from Uwajimaya.