Quest for daily gyokuro

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

How much should a DAILY GYOKURO cost per say...100 grams?

Less than $10
11%
Less than $15
22%
Less than $20
11%
Less than $25
17%
Less than $30
28%
More than $30
11%

Total votes: 18

Feb 23rd, '08, 14:45

Quest for daily gyokuro

by inspectoring » Feb 23rd, '08, 14:45

EDIT by Chip, 3/16/08: I have added a Poll today...

Hello there friends...my name is inspectoring and I am addicted to Gyokuro...

Ok - so I want to find an affordable source of daily gyokuro.

So far I have seen Harney's to be the most economical.
I have not tried O-cha so I hope someone would chime in.
Teavana - I think I would stay away from - their 15 $ for 2 oz is really a lot for the quality of their tea.
Ito-en is really comparable to Harney - but is more expensive.
Maden-en Gyokuro (Grower's Reserve) - please stay away - it costs twice than Teavana and quality is half of teavana.

I will try to update this first post as more people come and post their experience.

Feb 23rd, '08, 15:18

by olivierco » Feb 23rd, '08, 15:18

O-cha gyokuro: Uji Gyokuro Kame-Giru-Shi is the one that I am now drinking.
I have some from Ippodo and Hibiki-an (their starting gyokuro is sold at 26$ for 7 oz but I didn't test it) in the fridge.

From its 50gr package, you will get 5 to 10 servings per package depending on your brewing method and taste. At 28$ for 50gr, it means 3$ to 6$ per serving, so if you want to drink it on daily basis a total of 90$ to 180$ per month.

From o-cha I tasted also Uji Gyokuro "Yume no Ukihashi", Uji Gyokuro "Fujitsubo" and Uji Gyokuro Gyoku-Hou. Their price are similar and they are tasting good as well. Too bad they are only sold in 100gr packages.
I didn't test the cheapest Uji Gyokuro Shou-Un (25$ for 100gr) but I think it should be worth a try if you want to drink gyokuro on a daily basis.

For my part, I prefer to drink quality gyokuro two times a week than every day an average one.

Feb 23rd, '08, 18:25

by RussianSoul » Feb 23rd, '08, 18:25

This thread is a great idea, inspectoring! I saw your post to me about Harney's gyokuro on the other thread, but decided to reply here -- more on topic.

I am familiar with Harney's, their black teas especially, have ordered from them before. Love it that they have these wonderful $2 samples. The gyokuro sample goes on my next order list. Have you tried their sencha?

Feb 23rd, '08, 22:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '08, 22:59

I hate to say this...as much as I adore gyokuro, searching for GOOD cheaper everyday gyokuro is like searching for Chinese or Japanese dragons. I have to wonder if it really exists.

I am repeatedly disappointed by cheaper so called everyday gyokuros, probably for good reason. In trying to make cheaper gyokuro, growers, vendors tend to cut corners.

Hibiki-an for instance makes a lot of great Japanese teas including gyokuro. But their cheap one is lacking...probably because it is made with non Gokoh varietal plants. Makes a decent blender but does not stand up well on its one. I certainly would not want it everyday.

Another example is the use of cheaper grade Kabuse Cha and calling it Gyokuro. It is not Gyokuro at all. Kabuse Cha is essentially sencha that has been shaded for a week.

I have given up. Now if I drink Gyokuro, it is a good one which I enjoy on special occasions instead of everyday.

Please, prove me wrong!!! :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 24th, '08, 01:24

by inspectoring » Feb 24th, '08, 01:24

RussianSoul wrote:This thread is a great idea, inspectoring! I saw your post to me about Harney's gyokuro on the other thread, but decided to reply here -- more on topic.

I am familiar with Harney's, their black teas especially, have ordered from them before. Love it that they have these wonderful $2 samples. The gyokuro sample goes on my next order list. Have you tried their sencha?
No...unfortunately I have only tried their Gyokuro..and I am going to sound like a broken record but I think that may be the holy grail of affordable gyokuro.

Feb 24th, '08, 01:28

by inspectoring » Feb 24th, '08, 01:28

Chip wrote:I hate to say this...as much as I adore gyokuro, searching for GOOD cheaper everyday gyokuro is like searching for Chinese or Japanese dragons. I have to wonder if it really exists.

I am repeatedly disappointed by cheaper so called everyday gyokuros, probably for good reason. In trying to make cheaper gyokuro, growers, vendors tend to cut corners.

Hibiki-an for instance makes a lot of great Japanese teas including gyokuro. But their cheap one is lacking...probably because it is made with non Gokoh varietal plants. Makes a decent blender but does not stand up well on its one. I certainly would not want it everyday.

Another example is the use of cheaper grade Kabuse Cha and calling it Gyokuro. It is not Gyokuro at all. Kabuse Cha is essentially sencha that has been shaded for a week.

I have given up. Now if I drink Gyokuro, it is a good one which I enjoy on special occasions instead of everyday.

Please, prove me wrong!!! :D
chip....if I knew where you lived I would show up in the morning with a sampler Harney. Please please - before you give up -try them. You will not be disappointed.

Feb 24th, '08, 02:05

by Wesli » Feb 24th, '08, 02:05

/me laughs.

I don't drink gyokuro much, so I will rarely buy a full 100 grams. Hit me up with 50 grams for sure though. I might go for Den's next.

Feb 24th, '08, 02:37

by Chip » Feb 24th, '08, 02:37

RussianSoul wrote:This thread is a great idea, inspectoring! I saw your post to me about Harney's gyokuro on the other thread, but decided to reply here -- more on topic.

RS, I used to get the Kagoshima from H&S every year. It used to be 12, then 13, then 15...now 18 bucks. It was a great everyday sencha, but they priced it out of its value in my mind. In fact, most of their Japanese teas are too $$$ IMHO.

The description has not changed for the Kagoshima...verbatum the same, so, I doubt it has been upgraded.

Feb 28th, '08, 22:45

by 7th-heaven » Feb 28th, '08, 22:45

Hi,

How about Gyokuro Hoshino from:http://www.shizuokatea.com/japanese-gre ... shino.html

$96.00 for 500 g in bulk packaging ( it works out about $19.20 for 100g). I've ordered this tea and tried it at the recommended brewing method (spring/bottle water @ 50-60 degree Celcius for 3-5 min.). The taste in short is...amazing!!!

I'd like to order a Gyokuro premium ($25.00 for 100g...Their super premium is too expensive) and compare that to this wonderful Shizuokatea's Gyokuro to see the didderence...
http://www.hibiki-an.com/default.php/cPath/21

Another source which I also tempted to order is Organic Gyokuro Green Tea ($26.00 per 100g) from:
http://www.thejapanesegreenteashop.com/Organic+Gyokuro

Long live GREEN TEA for everyone...

Regards,
B.V.heaven

Feb 29th, '08, 06:33

by olivierco » Feb 29th, '08, 06:33

7th-heaven wrote:
I'd like to order a Gyokuro premium ($25.00 for 100g...Their super premium is too expensive)
http://www.hibiki-an.com/default.php/cPath/21
I ordered Premium and Super Premium ($21 for 40gr) at the same time. Super Premium is more expensive, but the extra money is worth it.
As Chip wrote, if you want to have a good gyokuro, you have to pay the normal price for gyokuro, at least 35$ for 100 gr.
I prefer to drink less frequently good gyokuro than everyday just decent gyokuro.

Feb 29th, '08, 15:25

by Chip » Feb 29th, '08, 15:25

inspectoring wrote:chip....if I knew where you lived I would show up in the morning with a sampler Harney. Please please - before you give up -try them. You will not be disappointed.
Sorry for not responding earlier...Thanx for your encouragement. As I mentioned, I love Gyokuro, but am finding it harder to enjoy lower grades. Instead, I am planning on enjoying better quality gyokuro...less frequently. I think I enjoy it more when I have it less frequently. Sencha on the other hand, I have to have that more on a daily basis (well, at least 2 times).

Feb 29th, '08, 15:27

by Chip » Feb 29th, '08, 15:27

olivierco wrote:
As Chip wrote, if you want to have a good gyokuro, you have to pay the normal price for gyokuro, at least 35$ for 100 gr.
I prefer to drink less frequently good gyokuro than everyday just decent gyokuro.
...exactly...

Feb 29th, '08, 23:39

by 7th-heaven » Feb 29th, '08, 23:39

Hi,

May I suggest:

To enjoy/understand anything in its "real" full capacity, there should be a progressive learning/appreciation process. That means one should not try the top or best quality Gyokuro right away even if you can afford it. Also like "fine" wines, the environment when you enjoy the product has a great deal of influence on the judgment of the "real" quality of that product. In addition many top quality products have a very small "finite difference" between them regardless of their prices. In summary I'd suggest to try a very good quality Gyokoro tea from the well respected growers/suppliers before you dig into the "best" one. I'd only believe the "real" quality of them in a "blind" taste test regardless of their origin/prices.

Cheers,
B.V.heaven

Mar 1st, '08, 00:29

by olivierco » Mar 1st, '08, 00:29

7th-heaven wrote: In summary I'd suggest to try a very good quality Gyokoro tea from the well respected growers/suppliers before you dig into the "best" one. I'd only believe the "real" quality of them in a "blind" taste test regardless of their origin/prices.
I agree.
My definition of good quality gyokuro is a gyokuro that is able to give you a minimum of three steeps with gyokuro taste and intensity without any astringency. For this quality, you will have to spend from 35$ to 60$ per 100gr. You can spend more (I saw some gyokuro at $170 per 100gr), but I don't think the extra money is worth it.

In France, I often have this kind of discussion for Champagne, the only wine I like to drink. Many people drink the "bon petit Champagne" they got from a friend or a colleague who got it directly local producer, whose vineyard is "just next to a famous one", at 10-15€ ($15-$23$) per bottle. Even without looking at the bottle, I am able to make the difference between this Champagne and what I call Champagne, a wine with clear taste and no "vinasse" aftertaste. For Champagne you have to pay 25-35€ ($37-$50) per bottle.

Mar 1st, '08, 00:53

by silverneedles » Mar 1st, '08, 00:53

does organic fair trade wine have more antioxidants than organic fair trade green tea?
:D

+ Post Reply