Time brewing

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Oct 14th, '05, 09:41

Time brewing

by lizcurtis22 » Oct 14th, '05, 09:41

I'm new to loose tea, and I've just purchased an IngenuiTEA teapot and a few kinds of herbal tea. I really like the convenience of the teapot and I'm loving the new tea, but I'm finding that since it needs to be steeped for 7 minutes, the tea is no longer hot by the time it's done. Is there any way to avoid that? Maybe I'm not making the water hot enough? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Thanks.

Oct 14th, '05, 09:52

by Tadiera » Oct 14th, '05, 09:52

Very likely the water is not hot enough. I use the IngenuiTEA myself and I use a hot water spiket on our coffee machine here at work to fill it. I can only suspect the water is near-boiling, but it is my only option.

However, I have found when I have teas that take approx. 7 minutes, the water is still hot after that time. If you are using a microwave, I would try extending the time heating the water.

Someone else here likely knows more exact times to use in the microwave. :)

Oct 14th, '05, 09:53

by klemptor » Oct 14th, '05, 09:53

From Adagio's Tea Information: Preparation page:

"[Herbal teas] taste best when prepared with boiling water, and steeped for up to seven minutes. Recommended ratio is one teaspoon of leaves (or fruits) per cup of water for the heavier kinds, like Rooibos and all our fruit blends. Lighter varieties, like chamomile and peppermint, will taste best with a ratio of two teaspoons per cup of water."

If you haven't been using boiling water, you should start. When using the IngenuiTEA, be sure the lid is closed. You may be losing heat through steam (and, naturally, water).

If your tea is still too cool, place a handtowel over your IngenuiTEA to keep the heat in. (This is a makeshift tea cozy.)
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Oct 14th, '05, 10:19

by Tadiera » Oct 14th, '05, 10:19

klemptor wrote:If your tea is still too cool, place a handtowel over your IngenuiTEA to keep the heat in. (This is a makeshift tea cozy.)

Hmmmmm. :)
That makes me wonder of knitting a cozy for my IngenuiTEA.

Oct 14th, '05, 22:30

by Messorius » Oct 14th, '05, 22:30

I've made a few out of doubled up and padded polar fleece. They work great.

Oct 15th, '05, 22:18

by PeteVu » Oct 15th, '05, 22:18

i drink herbals when im feeling lazy. i just boil water and throw it into the herbals, then drink it after a few minutes. I used to seperate the liquid and herbals, but it seems to not even matter to my tastebuds.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Nov 4th, '05, 11:26

Microwaving...

by Neecerie » Nov 4th, '05, 11:26

I have a 16oz and I microwave it for 3 minutes in a fairly standard size micro at work.

that seems to actually be boiling without doing that nasty superheating thing micros do.

Try 3 minutes.

Nov 4th, '05, 17:02

by teamuse » Nov 4th, '05, 17:02

Tadiera wrote:Very likely the water is not hot enough. I use the IngenuiTEA myself and I use a hot water spiket on our coffee machine here at work to fill it. I can only suspect the water is near-boiling, but it is my only option.
ok...
water cooler heated water generally is 185 F
the ones on the coffee machine is closer to 200 F

+ Post Reply