Powdered Sencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 24th, '08, 17:57

Powdered Sencha?

by TimeforTea » Feb 24th, '08, 17:57

I was wondering what powdered sencha is. Is it wisked similar to matcha? I really enjoy brewing sencha leaves, so I was curious what powdered sencha is. How does it taste?

Feb 24th, '08, 20:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 24th, '08, 20:45

I haven't tried powdered sencha, but it is a different thing than matcha.

Here is a link that describes it better than I can:

http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... achasencha

Feb 24th, '08, 21:29

by TimeforTea » Feb 24th, '08, 21:29

Victoria's Own wrote:I haven't tried powdered sencha, but it is a different thing than matcha.

Here is a link that describes it better than I can:

http://www.denstea.com/index.php?main_p ... achasencha
Thanks, Victoria! :)

Feb 24th, '08, 22:09

by Chip » Feb 24th, '08, 22:09

It is easier to mix than matcha...no sifting and no special equipment is needed.

It is quite different from matcha. I think it is best made cold, just pour it into a water bottle and shake shake shake. Nice to take where ever you are going. I think Wesli takes it to class frequently this way.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 24th, '08, 22:19

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 24th, '08, 22:19

As for taste, for me with 1/2 tsp powder per 16 oz water bottle using cold water, it is a smooth, grassy iced tea with low astringency. I was expected something more astringent, like when the hot sencha goes cold, but that astringency was not there at all. It turned out to be very pleasant, but did not keep too well beyond the day it was made. I made some for my car trip home on Friday and by today, what I had left was starting to smell kinda funny. I haven't tried it hot since I don't plan to use it for hot tea. Its purpose is to provide me with cold tea during classes since the hot water on campus is coffee flavored.

Powdered sencha is not whisked like matcha. It tends to clump less than matcha which makes it easier to mix with the water. You can throw some in a water bottle and shake it to blend for cold tea or stir into to hot water for hot tea.

Feb 24th, '08, 22:26

by TimeforTea » Feb 24th, '08, 22:26

Chip wrote:It is easier to mix than matcha...no sifting and no special equipment is needed.

It is quite different from matcha. I think it is best made cold, just pour it into a water bottle and shake shake shake. Nice to take where ever you are going. I think Wesli takes it to class frequently this way.
Perfect! This is exactly what I'm looking for to have during warmer months, instead of carrying around all those water bottles. Do you drink this, Chip, being that you are a major sencha fan?

Feb 24th, '08, 22:31

by TimeforTea » Feb 24th, '08, 22:31

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:As for taste, for me with 1/2 tsp powder per 16 oz water bottle using cold water, it is a smooth, grassy iced tea with low astringency. I was expected something more astringent, like when the hot sencha goes cold, but that astringency was not there at all. It turned out to be very pleasant, but did not keep too well beyond the day it was made. I made some for my car trip home on Friday and by today, what I had left was starting to smell kinda funny. I haven't tried it hot since I don't plan to use it for hot tea. Its purpose is to provide me with cold tea during classes since the hot water on campus is coffee flavored.

Powdered sencha is not whisked like matcha. It tends to clump less than matcha which makes it easier to mix with the water. You can throw some in a water bottle and shake it to blend for cold tea or stir into to hot water for hot tea.
Thanks, Cinnamon Kitty! This really sounds like something I'd like to have available during the warmer months. The only beverage besides tea I drink is water, so it'll be nice to have something to switch off on that's also cold. Where did you buy yours? (Too bad I already placed my Den's order)

As far as iced green lattes, such as those from :evil: Starbucks, can we use powdered sencha, or is matcha the way to go because it's thicker?

Feb 25th, '08, 03:15

by Chip » Feb 25th, '08, 03:15

Time4Tea wrote:Perfect! This is exactly what I'm looking for to have during warmer months, instead of carrying around all those water bottles. Do you drink this, Chip, being that you are a major sencha fan?
As much as I love Japanese teas, I have not caught the iced sencha wave. It intrigues me...just love hot tea regardless of the temp.

I will likely take the plunge this summer.

But this stuff is great for on the go Japanese tea fans!!!

***ask your vendor before buying...is this authentic 100% Japanese powdered sencha...don't assume anything. (same goes with matcha)(shoot, same goes with all Japanese tea)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 25th, '08, 14:11

by TimeforTea » Feb 25th, '08, 14:11

Chip wrote:As much as I love Japanese teas, I have not caught the iced sencha wave. It intrigues me...just love hot tea regardless of the temp.

I will likely take the plunge this summer.

But this stuff is great for on the go Japanese tea fans!!!

***ask your vendor before buying...is this authentic 100% Japanese powdered sencha...don't assume anything. (same goes with matcha)(shoot, same goes with all Japanese tea)
Chip! You haven't tried powdered sencha? Not even to make hot tea? :shock: Wow. Well, perhaps I'll try it nonetheless.

Thanks for the vendor tip. I'll check what Den's and O-cha has to say about it. (I'm assuming those are the best vendors to order this from?)

Feb 25th, '08, 15:05

by Wesli » Feb 25th, '08, 15:05

Powdered sencha is just sencha leaf powdered in the same way matcha is. I always keep a supply on hand for when I need to drink tea on the go. I also threw some in an adagio tin and take it with me to work, and other places where I'll be away from my teaz for extended periods.

I make it by throwing a teaspoon in a bottle of filtered water, then shake it vigorously. It comes out wonderful, but if the water isn't good quality, then the tea doesn't taste that good. For example, using drinking-fountain water isn't fun.

Feb 25th, '08, 21:30

by TimeforTea » Feb 25th, '08, 21:30

Wesli wrote:Powdered sencha is just sencha leaf powdered in the same way matcha is. I always keep a supply on hand for when I need to drink tea on the go. I also threw some in an adagio tin and take it with me to work, and other places where I'll be away from my teaz for extended periods.

I make it by throwing a teaspoon in a bottle of filtered water, then shake it vigorously. It comes out wonderful, but if the water isn't good quality, then the tea doesn't taste that good. For example, using drinking-fountain water isn't fun.
Thanks, Wes! I try to always have bottled water with me--in the car, etc. I think I'll pack some sencha powder to bring with me, too. Drinking fountain water? Bleh.

Which vendor do you buy your powdered sencha from?

Feb 25th, '08, 23:58

by Space Samurai » Feb 25th, '08, 23:58

Den's Tea ftw.

Feb 26th, '08, 00:50

by Zeahra » Feb 26th, '08, 00:50

How many cups of Sencha powder tea can drink daily?

Feb 26th, '08, 14:20

by hop_goblin » Feb 26th, '08, 14:20

I have powdered shencha. However it is used for mixing with water on the go.. Like those new lipton foil packs.. This particular one is call yamamotoyama. I bought it from an asian food store in town.. It is nothing but pure sencha and maltodextrine which is a corn starch..

Mar 1st, '08, 14:52

Drinking my first powdered sencha...

by TimeforTea » Mar 1st, '08, 14:52

I mixed 20 oz water with 1 tsp powdered sencha I just received today from O-cha. it tastes okay, but it's grassy. Also, i just can't get passed the color. It's like a dark olive. For some reason, I expected it to look like snapple green tea. :oops:

Should I refrigerate powdered sencha? If not, how should I store it? I don't think I have a tin big enough for it.

+ Post Reply