From Coffee to Breakfast Tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 26th, '08, 14:13

From Coffee to Breakfast Tea?

by JM » Feb 26th, '08, 14:13

Has anyone made the switch from coffee to breakfast tea in the mornings?

I was thinking about making a healthier choice of beverage to go along with my breakfast after noticing I was way over doing coffee.

I have some English but find it isn't as bold as I'd like it to be, I need something to wake me up, I have had Irish in bag form, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

j

Feb 26th, '08, 14:18

Re: From Coffee to Breakfast Tea?

by hop_goblin » Feb 26th, '08, 14:18

JM wrote:Has anyone made the switch from coffee to breakfast tea in the mornings?

I was thinking about making a healthier choice of beverage to go along with my breakfast after noticing I was way over doing coffee.

I have some English but find it isn't as bold as I'd like it to be, I need something to wake me up, I have had Irish in bag form, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

j
Well, I have made the switch sometime ago.. I love a good assam in the morn.

Feb 26th, '08, 14:26

by JM » Feb 26th, '08, 14:26

Nice!
Assam

Flavour: Assam is a strong, rich and deep-amber tea with a malty character.

Occasion: This tea is ideal with “elevenses”, or throughout the day. Many people drink Assam as an alternative to coffee after a meal.

Brewing Instructions: Brew for 3-5 minutes. Best served with milk.

Country of Origin: North East India, from the flood plains of the Brahmapatra Valley.

Did you know? Grown in the Brahmaputra Valley, the low elevation, high rainfall and humidity are responsible for the unique taste of Assam tea.
I'll have to pick some up, thank you.

Feb 26th, '08, 15:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 26th, '08, 15:36

I agree, Assam is a great choice and one of my favorites for waking up to.

You might want to look at Adagio's Black tea selection and sort them by
rating. Pick up a few sample tins and see which you enjoy the most.

I'm here to tell you, you can break the coffee habit.
:o)

Feb 26th, '08, 23:04
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 26th, '08, 23:04

I do occasionally still have a bit of coffee in the morning, but it's hardly a treat.

Feb 27th, '08, 11:30

by jazz88 » Feb 27th, '08, 11:30

I used to be a total coffee junkie. But good, strong Black tea works in fact just as well. Adagio has a great selection of excellent Black teas. I have also enjoyed Marco Polo from Mariage Freres and as a surprise I really liked my own Red Dragon signature blend. You can try to create your own energy booster!

Feb 27th, '08, 14:10

by hop_goblin » Feb 27th, '08, 14:10

JM wrote:Nice!
Assam

Flavour: Assam is a strong, rich and deep-amber tea with a malty character.

Occasion: This tea is ideal with “elevenses”, or throughout the day. Many people drink Assam as an alternative to coffee after a meal.

Brewing Instructions: Brew for 3-5 minutes. Best served with milk.

Country of Origin: North East India, from the flood plains of the Brahmapatra Valley.

You are indeed welcome! I think you will find that it is a satisfying alternative to coffee.
Did you know? Grown in the Brahmaputra Valley, the low elevation, high rainfall and humidity are responsible for the unique taste of Assam tea.
I'll have to pick some up, thank you.

Feb 27th, '08, 17:44

by GeoffK » Feb 27th, '08, 17:44

I'd recommend tasting a number of English Breakfast teas (they aren't all created equal).

I've occasionally started my day with Earl Grey which can be nice, as well as Assam. Adagio's Yunnan Jin is nice.

If you want to cut your caffeine down you can try Hojicha which has a nice roasty flavor. (It's a green tea)

I also do my morning black with soy creamer and agave, so give it that coffeesque experience.

Mar 1st, '08, 12:44

by caradrake » Mar 1st, '08, 12:44

I've started drinking chai as a breakfast tea. I use oriental spice (ceylon base, I think?), then add a little bit of sugar (some people use honey, I haven't tried it with honey yet) and milk. It's got a wonderful aroma that wakes me right up. Especially with our weather so nasty lately.

I find the oriental spice chai gives my bacon/grits/toast breakfast a nice balance of sweet. Mmmmmmm.

Mar 1st, '08, 22:56

Honey in Chai

by Tea na » Mar 1st, '08, 22:56

I use honey in my chai every once in a while. It is a nice contrast to the spices.

Have a wonderful day!
Tina (Tea Na)

Mar 20th, '08, 13:43

by melissalive33 » Mar 20th, '08, 13:43

I went from going to coffee bean everyday and getting a regular iced vanilla latte, soy milk and no sugar added to making a cup of tea and I feel so much better. I feel healthier, the energy boost last longer and its a lot cheaper haha.

Mar 24th, '08, 00:18
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Mar 24th, '08, 00:18

melissalive33 wrote:I went from going to coffee bean everyday and getting a regular iced vanilla latte, soy milk and no sugar added to making a cup of tea and I feel so much better. I feel healthier, the energy boost last longer and its a lot cheaper haha.
You're not shocking your body with an insulin hit. That's a plus. And cheaper is good. I bet you were spending $3-$4 per cup.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Mar 26th, '08, 13:02

by JM » Mar 26th, '08, 13:02

FOUND IT!

I'm loving the mate with orange and it gives me a nice light boost in the am, it's a nice replacement for coffee.

8)

Mar 28th, '08, 21:05

by Beanbean » Mar 28th, '08, 21:05

Ha! My first post on this site!

I only drink tea in the morning. Well, I only drink tea. I've never been a big coffee drinker and will only have it when we go out because I find that most places cannot brew a proper cup of tea. I'd rather have a bad cup of coffee than a bad cup of tea!

Anyhow, I mostly drink Assam in the morning but I also have some great Ceylon that goes well in the morning too.

May 6th, '08, 01:33

caffeine jolt

by moretea » May 6th, '08, 01:33

The best I could do was to cut my morning coffee in half and transition to black tea, usually a liubao. Then I switch to green at the office and white in the afternoon to ease the withdrawl :) Maybe I'll phase the coffee out some day, but right now it'd be a waste to drink good tea if I wasn't awake enough to appreciate it.

+ Post Reply