Brewing temperatures oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 1st, '20, 10:10

Brewing temperatures oolong

by Moonmoonpie30 » Sep 1st, '20, 10:10

Hi guys!

I have several oolongs right now for trying and tasting. The information I received is very contradictory to what I've read here. Information on package says to brew oolong at 80c. Here I read to use boiling water or just off a boil.

Now, I just use a normal electric kettle (I do filter my water first). It's a kettle that comes with temperature pre sets.

Brewing gong fu cha style, I would first poor the water in a serving pot. I don't have a gaiwan yet, but one is on the way! Anyway, I would then poor water from the serving pot into the tea ware for heating and do a first rinse etc.

Now, by the time I'm ready for the first infusion, if oolong needs boiling water... the water in my teapot is no longer boiling at that point. Or is this all taken into account and does the water have the right temperature by then? Or should I boil new water and use that for a first infusion?

I guess you could say I'm still very much in the dark about how to brew my new teas correctly.

I would really appreciate some input!

Sep 1st, '20, 13:04

Re: Brewing temperatures oolong

by ceistu » Sep 1st, '20, 13:04

try and see how you prefer, 90 is ok for me

Sep 3rd, '20, 10:54

by 12Tea » Sep 3rd, '20, 10:54

Moonmoonpie30 wrote:
Now, by the time I'm ready for the first infusion, if oolong needs boiling water... the water in my teapot is no longer boiling at that point. Or is this all taken into account and does the water have the right temperature by then? Or should I boil new water and use that for a first infusion?

I guess you could say I'm still very much in the dark about how to brew my new teas correctly.

Oolong tea needs really hot water, I don't think 80ºC is gonna be enough for any kind of oolong tea. Now, i would worry about the temperature dropping after it reached boiling. As long as it's above 90ºC, you're going to be fine. So you can go on for several steeps before reheating water. A kettle that keeps the water at a certain temperature would be ideal though.

Sep 3rd, '20, 17:22

by Moonmoonpie30 » Sep 3rd, '20, 17:22

12Tea wrote:
Moonmoonpie30 wrote:

Oolong tea needs really hot water, I don't think 80ºC is gonna be enough for any kind of oolong tea. Now, i would worry about the temperature dropping after it reached boiling. As long as it's above 90ºC, you're going to be fine. So you can go on for several steeps before reheating water. A kettle that keeps the water at a certain temperature would be ideal though.
My electric kettle in the kitchen can keep water at a set temperature for 40 minutes. So, does that mean I can put water from the kettle in a large pot, use that for heating, rinsing and a few steeps and then I would have to refill with hot water? Do you by any chance have a suggestion for teapots that retains heat very well? I saw a very nice one from the serax pure line (cast iron I believe) but I have no idea how good that is. When it comes to Tea ware, and tea itself actually, I read a lot of contradicting information online. Thanks for your answer! I

Mar 19th, '21, 12:38

by trziste » Mar 19th, '21, 12:38

Generally speaking, oolong teas are brewed at less than boiling; but the greener the tea, the lower the brewing temperature should be.

+ Post Reply