Any tea grown in the USA?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 26th, '05, 00:04

Any tea grown in the USA?

by Ric » Aug 26th, '05, 00:04

I was asked the other day if there were any place in the United States where tea is grown. Does anyone know if there are? And can you buy this American grown tea?

In God's Grace,
Ric

Aug 26th, '05, 03:04

by spautz » Aug 26th, '05, 03:04

There's only one tea plantation in the US: Charleston Tea Gardens. They were purchased by Bigelow a few years back, and the tea is now sold as "American Classic Tea" -- bagged only, unfortunately. (They supposedly used to sell loose tea, but I don't think it was very successful.)

You can order it online, and it's available at various stores in Charleston and the surrounding area. I have friends who swear it's superior to other grocery store bagged teas, but to my tastebuds it's still noticeably inferior to loose tea.

Aug 26th, '05, 19:28

by Ric » Aug 26th, '05, 19:28

spautz wrote:There's only one tea plantation in the US: Charleston Tea Gardens. They were purchased by Bigelow a few years back, and the tea is now sold as "American Classic Tea" -- bagged only, unfortunately. (They supposedly used to sell loose tea, but I don't think it was very successful.)

You can order it online, and it's available at various stores in Charleston and the surrounding area. I have friends who swear it's superior to other grocery store bagged teas, but to my tastebuds it's still noticeably inferior to loose tea.
Hey spautz,

Thanks for the 411! I will check it out!

In God's Grace,
Ric

Oct 13th, '05, 23:22

Charlestonian here.

by tbride00 » Oct 13th, '05, 23:22

Hey - the tea is currently being marketed in some markets but mostly available online. I'm hoping that Bigelow will open it up for tours in the Spring. I'll keep you posted...

Also, just FYI... American tea makes great sweet (iced) tea! Thanks for supporting the USA~

Oct 13th, '05, 23:27

Re: Charlestonian here.

by Ric » Oct 13th, '05, 23:27

tbride00 wrote:Hey - the tea is currently being marketed in some markets but mostly available online. I'm hoping that Bigelow will open it up for tours in the Spring. I'll keep you posted...

Also, just FYI... American tea makes great sweet (iced) tea! Thanks for supporting the USA~
Yes, I did find it online, but I don't want to buy it online and pay more for the shipping than the tea. :roll:

I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks!
In God's Grace,
Ric

Oct 17th, '05, 13:40

Tea Grown in the USA

by Tea Guy » Oct 17th, '05, 13:40

In addition to Charleston, tea is being grown - apparently on a very small scale - in Hawaii. Here's a little more background, as well as some info on the first successful attempt to grow tea in England:

http://wileng.blogspot.com/...

Thanks,
Bill

Oct 17th, '05, 21:04

Re: Tea Grown in the USA

by Ric » Oct 17th, '05, 21:04

Tea Guy wrote:In addition to Charleston, tea is being grown - apparently on a very small scale - in Hawaii. Here's a little more background, as well as some info on the first successful attempt to grow tea in England:

http://wileng.blogspot.com/...

Thanks,
Bill
Great, thanks!
In God's Grace,
Ric

Nov 2nd, '05, 14:28

by snotbottom » Nov 2nd, '05, 14:28

My neighbor used to grow what he called tea in his backyard.
The only thing was that he would roll it and smoke it.

Hmmm......

Dec 9th, '09, 02:06

Re: Any tea grown in the USA?

by RSKate » Dec 9th, '09, 02:06

I recently visited the Charleston Tea Plantation and learned the following:

They do have loose tea, which is excellant, besides their bag tea. It is marketed under the name of American Classic. Under this brand all the tea is grown and harvested at the Charleston Plantation. There are five types:

Green, black, their version of an Earl Grey, raspberry, and peach. It is carried by some grocery chains, but unfortunately I do not know which ones. :D

Dec 9th, '09, 08:52

by JBaymore » Dec 9th, '09, 08:52

We used to buy it when they sold loose tea......YEARS ago. Liked the idea of an American tea.

best,

..............john

Dec 10th, '09, 16:09

by teaisme » Dec 10th, '09, 16:09

heh honestly though...why would you want to do that? Patriotism?
I get my tea from countries that have the expertise in growing/processing tea, unfortunately USA just doesn't have this... yet

I have read in a couple business articles though that it is a growing idea in the works, and have read a couple pieces on teas from hawaii becoming more popular , I imagine hawaii would be a great place to grow tea though because of the volcanoes, mountain areas, and its isolation. I would like to try some tea grown in a macadamia nut field! Imagine it would be good.

Dec 10th, '09, 17:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Dec 10th, '09, 17:17

I have had Hawaiian tea, it's as you said - they need more expertise.
Even the grower admits that some of the Eastern processing secrets are very highly guarded. The black tea was decent, but they can't match high mountain oolong.

+ Post Reply