Cooked VS Raw

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 2nd, '08, 01:22

Cooked VS Raw

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 2nd, '08, 01:22

I have noticed in some posts that people say that "most people are not too fond of cooked/ripe pu"......why is this? Just out of curiosity? I am new to Pu and have only gotten a cooked cake and I LOVE it, I love the earthiness and forest/soil like taste and aroma..........please explain!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 2nd, '08, 02:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Mar 2nd, '08, 02:07

A lot of folks get really poor (or at least poorly stored) shu from tea vendors that don't know anything about it. I've found most people to like it when they try decent stuff.

Mar 2nd, '08, 02:20

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 2nd, '08, 02:20

I don't think that statement holds much merit. Like ABx said, a lot of people try crappy shu and dislike it, but good shu is still being produced for a reason-- people do like it, especially in times like these when aged raw puerh is incredibly expensive.

Absolutely, naturally aged sheng will be far better than shu, but I think many (even most, though not all) would argue that shu is better than young sheng. So, unless you're willing to pay n times more for aged sheng and/or wait 10-20 years on an investment of young sheng, shu is a good option.

Mar 2nd, '08, 09:35

by augie » Mar 2nd, '08, 09:35

I only liked sheng at first. I bought samples of both. After I drank all the sheng samples that I thought I preferred, I decided to use the cooked so as not to waste. I found out I did like them, they're not bad, just different. Also, the first couple infusions of Pu Ehr, to me, arent' that great. maybe some folks just try the first infusion and think, "yuk, i really hate this", and never really give it a complete chance.

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:37

by Wesli » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:37

Cooked puerh can be alright. I've only found two of them that I like, because a lot of cooked puerh turns out cups that are extremely dark and thick. I find those disgusting. That's why I don't like cooked/shu that much.

I think what's being conveyed in that statement, also, Nick, is that aged sheng is preferred over shu. So if someone chooses a cup of shu over aged sheng, it's safe to call them insane.

Augi, I agree. The best pu-erh infusions are after the first 3 in my opinion. This is why I rinse off at least one, usually two.

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:51

by augie » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:51

Wesli wrote:
Augi, I agree. The best pu-erh infusions are after the first 3 in my opinion. This is why I rinse off at least one, usually two.
I might have rec'd that tip from you! :wink:

Americans are so narrow in their thinking. If you taste broccoli and it's bad, the rest of your serving is probably going to be bad. don't eat it if you don't like it, Right? Maybe try broccoli cooked another way. Not so with pu ehr . . . try a couple infusions, it does get better. Toss it in the closet, it might get better.

Just don't toss your broccoli in the closet!

Mar 2nd, '08, 14:00

by ABx » Mar 2nd, '08, 14:00

Wesli wrote:I've only found two of them that I like, because a lot of cooked puerh turns out cups that are extremely dark and thick. I find those disgusting. That's why I don't like cooked/shu that much.
For the most part that goes away with age. Shu should really be aged as well, though some are decent when young. If you know what you're doing you can also brew it such that it tastes more like aged sheng.

+ Post Reply