Next Day Steeps?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 2nd, '08, 12:59

Next Day Steeps?

by GeoffK » Mar 2nd, '08, 12:59

I wanted to see what the general consensus is on this.

Yesterday I brewed a very very solid green Pu Erh. I got about five small pots into it and it showed absolutely no signs of giving up. I however seemed to give out before the leaves and went to bed. I didn't dump out the leaves (left them in my pot) and so now this morning I'm eyeballing them.

What do most of you do at the end of the day with your Pu leaves? Does the fat lady sing when you go to bed or will you give it another run the next day?

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:55

Re: Next Day Steeps?

by augie » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:55

GeoffK wrote:Does the fat lady sing when you go to bed or will you give it another run the next day?
Hey, watchit buster! :wink:

I chuck it, maybe it's a mental thing? Although I will drink off the same batch all day sometimes, but I am constantly brewing every hour or so and leaving it sit 12 hrs would be different. what's the worst thing that could happen???

Mar 2nd, '08, 14:02

by Wesli » Mar 2nd, '08, 14:02

When I gongfu my pu, I do it all in one session. At the end of the day, I clean out all my wares. It is rare for me to re-start a session a few hours later, and I never resurrect it the next day.

Some people do. The only special thing I've heard done is a quick rinse with boiling water to wake the leaf back up, warm up the wares, and hope to kill anything that might have grown on the leaf overnight.

Mar 2nd, '08, 14:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Mar 2nd, '08, 14:33

I quite often rebrew the last nights tea. As Wes says a quick rinse to wake everything up again and I'm off.
It also means all I have to do is boil the kettle and I've got tea, no need to start from scratch as everything is nicely in place.

Here's Toki explaining why you need to set aside 3 days for a session of aged wuyi and I'm pretty sure he's still alive.

Mar 2nd, '08, 19:31

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 2nd, '08, 19:31

I often re-steep previous nights tea, but again, as everyone else says, I always do a quick boil-rinse to rejuvinate the leaves. I especially do this for two reasons: 1)I am not really in the mood for a particular type of tea (so why start a new pot of something I might not finish anyway), or 2)It is really expensive tea and I want to make sure I get my money worth (though I usually dont leave it in the pot.....I will take it out and spread it on a plate and it usually dries up in a couple hours and I will throw it in again in the morning (I never dry the leaves and save them for days or anything). Honestly, there is no real harm in doing it.......doing a quick rinse-boil will certainly prevent any harm, and as long as it tastes good to you, why not? Hope this helps!
*Also, though I just started drinking Pu about a week ago, I have re-steeped some in the morning that I had the night before and I could not tell much of a difference

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 2nd, '08, 21:37

by GeoffK » Mar 2nd, '08, 21:37

I usually don't hit it again in the AM, but I should have with this Pu i've been drinking. I still have more of it, so I'll see how it stands up to day 2. I swear you can steep this puppy to the ends of the earth and it still delivers.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the Zhi Wuyi I had today. It petered out really fast.

Mar 2nd, '08, 21:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Mar 2nd, '08, 21:49

I don't usually, but some sheng and some dan cong just last longer than I do. In those infrequent cases, I refrigerate my leftovers for 24 hrs and simply pick up where I left off. The tea doesn't seem to lose a beat! I usually let it come back to room temp before proceeding.

Not to do so, seems somehow disrespectful of a really good tea.

Mar 2nd, '08, 21:57

by GeoffK » Mar 2nd, '08, 21:57

Salsero wrote:

Not to do so, seems somehow disrespectful of a really good tea.
You hit the nail on the head here about how I felt.

Mar 3rd, '08, 15:57

by bearsbearsbears » Mar 3rd, '08, 15:57

i do keep leaves overnight regularly. go for it.

Mar 3rd, '08, 16:24

by hop_goblin » Mar 3rd, '08, 16:24

bearsbearsbears wrote:i do keep leaves overnight regularly. go for it.
I generally only do it for shou.. But heck, like bears says, Go for it!

Mar 3rd, '08, 17:49

by tenuki » Mar 3rd, '08, 17:49

I do it often with good quality Gao Shans, and would imagine good quality pu would be even more resilient to it.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 3rd, '08, 17:53

by hop_goblin » Mar 3rd, '08, 17:53

tenuki wrote:I do it often with good quality Gao Shans, and would imagine good quality pu would be even more resilient to it.

That is what I think.. However, when I sit down for a good gongfu session, I generally "cash" it out before I stop.. Like the French say, if you don't finish the bottle of wine, then you are not showing any respect to it.. I feel the same way with tea! of course unless it is unpalatable swill!

Mar 3rd, '08, 17:57

by augie » Mar 3rd, '08, 17:57

Proinsias wrote: Toki explaining why you need to set aside 3 days for a session of aged wuyi and I'm pretty sure he's still alive.
I know I keep saying this, but dang, I WANT that pot! wow

+ Post Reply