Am I the only one?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 2nd, '08, 17:28

Am I the only one?

by jogrebe » Mar 2nd, '08, 17:28

While I do enjoy drinking oolongs from time to time I have yet to have found a particular oolong that I really like enough to be promoted to an "everyday tea". Especially given how oolongs tend to cost more than other varieties of tea I have been question if its even worth buying them anymore. So does anyone else feel this way about oolongs?
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 2nd, '08, 17:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 2nd, '08, 17:49

jogrebe wrote: ...So does anyone else feel this way about oolongs?
No.
LOL

Adagio's TQY is a very nice everyday oolong at a reasonable price.
:D

Mar 2nd, '08, 20:33

by devites » Mar 2nd, '08, 20:33

I basically only drink green tea which is expensive since I only do one steep. So if you take into consideration how many steeps you get out of Oolong tea (4-6) and it just gets better every steep.

Mar 2nd, '08, 21:24

by Wesli » Mar 2nd, '08, 21:24

I feel ya Jo.

Mar 2nd, '08, 21:38

by Proinsias » Mar 2nd, '08, 21:38

I'm confused.

Is oolong really that more expensive?

I drink a variety of tea, especially Chinese, and have not found that oolong is comparatively more expensive. I gather that you are a pu-erh fan and from my experience pu-erh seems to go to bigger extremes in price than oolong.

devites: Why not do more than one steep? I've not found that oolong has more endurance than green. If I only done one steep of oolong it would also be expensive and it would also pale in comparison to the greens which survive multiple steeps.

EDIT: so it mkaes snese
Last edited by Proinsias on Mar 2nd, '08, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 2nd, '08, 21:39

by Salsero » Mar 2nd, '08, 21:39

Wesli wrote:I feel ya Jo.
Wesli, Get your hands off Jo!

I don't drink oolong as often as greens and blacks, but I don't think they are consistently more expensive. It's just the direction I have gravitated lately. Of course there are lots of really expensive oolongs, but there's also a ton of tasty and reasonably priced ones, as Victoria points out.

Jogrebe, I think it's just your preference in tea at the moment. We all have favorites at any given time and those favorites do sometimes change and morph. It seems to me that Chip has been through pretty much every type of tea there is.

So the answer is that yes a lot of people feel the way you do, but there's also a lot for whom a life without oolong is unthinkable.

Mar 2nd, '08, 21:55

by daughteroftheKing » Mar 2nd, '08, 21:55

But Jo...YOU like Pu Erh. Ew. :lol:
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Mar 2nd, '08, 22:50

by silverneedles » Mar 2nd, '08, 22:50

what is wrong with pu?
everyone should try pu
once you drink good pu
you will start to like pu

Mar 3rd, '08, 03:22

by jogrebe » Mar 3rd, '08, 03:22

Salsero wrote: I don't drink oolong as often as greens and blacks, but I don't think they are consistently more expensive. It's just the direction I have gravitated lately. Of course there are lots of really expensive oolongs, but there's also a ton of tasty and reasonably priced ones, as Victoria points out.

Jogrebe, I think it's just your preference in tea at the moment. We all have favorites at any given time and those favorites do sometimes change and morph. It seems to me that Chip has been through pretty much every type of tea there is.

So the answer is that yes a lot of people feel the way you do, but there's also a lot for whom a life without oolong is unthinkable.
Or at least from my perspective on price they are more expensive. Like my favorite black tea Golden Monkey is $36 a pound and my favorite Sencha is $34.50 a pound, which are way cheaper than TKY at $49 a pound or Wuyi $66 a pound and the other teas that I drink fall under $30 a pound. Maybe I'm just a bit more price sensitive than most people as I tend to feel that if I don't like a tea enough to buy a pound bulk bag to save money I question of its worth buying. And as of now I have yet to have found an oolong that I like enough to buy in bulk.
Last edited by jogrebe on Mar 3rd, '08, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 3rd, '08, 03:29

by jogrebe » Mar 3rd, '08, 03:29

silverneedles wrote:what is wrong with pu?
everyone should try pu
once you drink good pu
you will start to like pu
Everything is wrong with Pu and there is no way I'd ever drink any. Puerh on the other hand is a wonderful tea that is very enjoyable to drink.
Last edited by jogrebe on Mar 3rd, '08, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 3rd, '08, 03:29

by tenuki » Mar 3rd, '08, 03:29

no accounting for taste.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 3rd, '08, 17:04

by hop_goblin » Mar 3rd, '08, 17:04

tenuki wrote:no accounting for taste.
Tenuki! You are not a pu drinker!?

Mar 3rd, '08, 19:14

by tenuki » Mar 3rd, '08, 19:14

All I drink are oolongs, and yes, I drink pu occasionally.

What I meant was, taste is individual. People like what they like, there is no 'should' in taste. :)

Mar 3rd, '08, 19:54

by Pentox » Mar 3rd, '08, 19:54

jogrebe wrote:
Salsero wrote: I don't drink oolong as often as greens and blacks, but I don't think they are consistently more expensive. It's just the direction I have gravitated lately. Of course there are lots of really expensive oolongs, but there's also a ton of tasty and reasonably priced ones, as Victoria points out.

Or at least from my perspective on price they are more expensive. Like my favorite black tea Golden Monkey is $36 a pound and my favorite Sencha is $34.50 a pound, which are way cheaper than TKY at $49 a pound or Wuyi $66 a pound and the other teas that I drink fall under $30 a pound. Maybe I'm just a bit more price sensitive than most people as I tend to feel that if I don't like a tea enough to buy a pound bulk bag to save money I question of its worth buying. And as of now I have yet to have found an oolong that I like enough to buy in bulk.
You're talking about a difference of $30 dollar a pound here though. A pound of tea goes a LONG way, especially with oolong which you get more steeps typically than say a sencha. Personally if i were to look at it on a per cup price i would find it much closer than you might think.

Mar 3rd, '08, 22:35

by tenuki » Mar 3rd, '08, 22:35

I get 10+ seeps out of some of my oolongs, usualy the $30 / 2oz variety. heh.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

+ Post Reply