Come and shop for dark oolong with me...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 6th, '08, 16:02

Come and shop for dark oolong with me...

by RussianSoul » Mar 6th, '08, 16:02

... and hold my hand, please...

I want to try a darker, more oxidized oolong, and someone suggested trying some Wuyi's.

I spent half a day at TeaCuppa site and put these samples in my shopping cart:

1. Bai Ji Guan Oolong
2. Beidou Yi Hou Wuyi Oolong
3. Da Hong Pao Wu Yi Rock Tea
4. Lao Cong Shui Xian Oolong
5. Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong
6. Rou Gui Oolong
7. Shui Jin Gui Oolong
8. Shui Xian Oolong
9. Tung Ting Wu Yi Oolong.

9 samples is too many, I think I will get confused. Please help me narrow it down to 3 or 4 -- tell me which ones from this list you tried and liked.

I will so appreciate the help!

Mar 6th, '08, 16:06

Re: Come and shop for dark oolong with me...

by hop_goblin » Mar 6th, '08, 16:06

RussianSoul wrote:... and hold my hand, please...

I want to try a darker, more oxidized oolong, and someone suggested trying some Wuyi's.

I spent half a day at TeaCuppa site and put these samples in my shopping cart:

1. Bai Ji Guan Oolong
2. Beidou Yi Hou Wuyi Oolong
3. Da Hong Pao Wu Yi Rock Tea
4. Lao Cong Shui Xian Oolong
5. Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong
6. Rou Gui Oolong
7. Shui Jin Gui Oolong
8. Shui Xian Oolong
9. Tung Ting Wu Yi Oolong.

9 samples is too many, I think I will get confused. Please help me narrow it down to 3 or 4 -- tell me which ones from this list you tried and liked.

I will so appreciate the help!
Go for the DaHongPao, RouGui, ShuiXian, and Bidou Yi as they are the darkest of the bunch. DanCong and Tung Ting are not very dark whatsoever! Humm?

Mar 6th, '08, 16:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 6th, '08, 16:11

Bai Ji Guan is also not very dark, so I'd avoid that one for now. I tried the Shui Jin Gui, and it was only okay. Their Da Hong Pao and Rou Gui are excellent, so definitely try them.

Mar 6th, '08, 17:04

Re: Come and shop for dark oolong with me...

by RussianSoul » Mar 6th, '08, 17:04

Thank you, hop_goblin and scruffmcgruff!
hop_goblin wrote:Go for the DaHongPao, RouGui, ShuiXian, and Bidou Yi as they are the darkest of the bunch. DanCong and Tung Ting are not very dark whatsoever! Humm?
The DanCong and Tung Ting looked rather dark on the pics, but of course monitors vary, good that I asked.
scruffmcgruff wrote:Bai Ji Guan is also not very dark, so I'd avoid that one for now. I tried the Shui Jin Gui, and it was only okay. Their Da Hong Pao and Rou Gui are excellent, so definitely try them.
Same is true for Bai Ji Guan. So I will skip these for now.

Seeing you both recommending Da Hong Pao and Rou Gui makes them a definite Yes.

Two more questions (I know I am totally helpless): Wuyi Tea Sampler from GoldenTeahouse has both Da Hong Pao and Rou Gui as well as Qidan, Xiao Hong Pao & Bai Sui Xiang. First, is Golden Teahouse a good reputable place? And second, are Qidan, Xiao Hong Pao & Bai Sui Xiang worth paying money for and trying?

Mar 6th, '08, 17:35

by ABx » Mar 6th, '08, 17:35

Golden Teahouse is quite good. Their Rou Gui is one of the better ones. As to the others, they are a bit less roasted than most Wuyi. Whether they're worth it is up to you, though you might want to stick with the famous ones to begin with.

You might want to also find some place to pick up a small teapot, if you haven't already. Most Wuyi is difficult to brew satisfactorily when brewing "western style".

Mar 6th, '08, 17:56

by RussianSoul » Mar 6th, '08, 17:56

ABx wrote:You might want to also find some place to pick up a small teapot, if you haven't already. Most Wuyi is difficult to brew satisfactorily when brewing "western style".
How small is small? My smallest teapot is a tetsubin 10 oz. I've been making my Sencha in it with no problem. But I saw someone recently referred to this size as "huge" in a context of Chinese tea. Should I get a Yixing? What size?

I was trying to avoid buying new teaware for a while, but some things cannot be helped...

Mar 6th, '08, 18:07

by ABx » Mar 6th, '08, 18:07

RussianSoul wrote:
ABx wrote:You might want to also find some place to pick up a small teapot, if you haven't already. Most Wuyi is difficult to brew satisfactorily when brewing "western style".
How small is small? My smallest teapot is a tetsubin 10 oz. I've been making my Sencha in it with no problem. But I saw someone recently referred to this size as "huge" in a context of Chinese tea. Should I get a Yixing? What size?

I was trying to avoid buying new teaware for a while, but some things cannot be helped...
You generally want about 4oz or less. When brewing Wuyi it's best to fill the vessel about 1/4 with dry leaf and then do short steeps. It can be yixing or something else, however for Wuyi you'll want something fairly thick that will retain heat. A yixing gaiwan might be a good way to go.

I've had some that just didn't really come out that great when brewed with less leaf and more water. A lot of the defining characteristics can be lost. It really does depend on the tea, however.

Mar 6th, '08, 22:50

by hop_goblin » Mar 6th, '08, 22:50

If you don't mind the wait, Dragon Tea House on Ebay has and excellent DaHongPao that I always buy!

Mar 7th, '08, 09:22

by RussianSoul » Mar 7th, '08, 09:22

I will keep Dragon Tea House (I've seen them) in mind in case I like my DaHongPao sample. Thank you for sharing the source!

With regards to a small teapot, I will keep my eye for a small and simple gaiwan (I saw one somewhere for $4, but forgot where that was) or an inexpensive teapot. I understand the importance of brewing Chinese tea using Chinese method, but am hesitant to spend more substantial money on wares before knowing if I like the tea. I may get to improvise with small Pyrex containers I have at home. We'll see what will arrive first: the tea or the pot... :D

Mar 7th, '08, 11:15

by Salsero » Mar 7th, '08, 11:15

hop_goblin wrote: Dragon Tea House on Ebay has an excellent DaHongPao
Do you get the regular or the "Premium" (at almost 3 times the price)?

+ Post Reply