Best Green Tea you have ever had?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 11th, '08, 20:35

Best Green Tea you have ever had?

by Pentox » Mar 11th, '08, 20:35

I'm curious, what is the best green tea you have ever had, as detailed as possible please. What is your favorite green tea, regardless of price, just the best cup of green tea you have ever had.

Mar 11th, '08, 20:54

by Ed » Mar 11th, '08, 20:54

Hmm, at this point I have to say the most spectacular cup of green tea I've had is o-cha's Fukamushi Supreme. From the moment you open the bag, the aroma hits you like a freight train. The color of the brew is the nicest green you can imagine. And, best of all, the flavor is crisp and clean... full of umami. Now that's a good cuppa. 8)

Mar 11th, '08, 21:07

by Space Samurai » Mar 11th, '08, 21:07

You may as well ask me which of my ten fingers I'd like to not have cut off.

Matcha: Uji Manten
Sencha: Ocha's Hatsumi or Den's Fukamushi Maki
Kukicha/Karigane: Rishi's Kukicha (I think its the Fukamsuhicha they use in it that makes its so awesome).
Houji: Den's Houji-Kukicha.

Mar 11th, '08, 22:58

by hop_goblin » Mar 11th, '08, 22:58

Snapples green raspberry! K_I_D_D_I_N_G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 11th, '08, 23:10

by JM » Mar 11th, '08, 23:10

Mar 11th, '08, 23:26

by Ed » Mar 11th, '08, 23:26

LOL Hop. :o

Mar 12th, '08, 01:36

by Pentox » Mar 12th, '08, 01:36

Space Samurai wrote:You may as well ask me which of my ten fingers I'd like to not have cut off.

Matcha: Uji Manten
Sencha: Ocha's Hatsumi or Den's Fukamushi Maki
Kukicha/Karigane: Rishi's Kukicha (I think its the Fukamsuhicha they use in it that makes its so awesome).
Houji: Den's Houji-Kukicha.
Which of your ten fingers would you like to not have cut off?

Mar 12th, '08, 02:10

by Selaphiel » Mar 12th, '08, 02:10

The best green teas I`ve had are:

Uji Gyokuro Yume no Ukihashi and Sencha Miyabi.

That was two I know, but they both deserve to be mentioned.

Mar 12th, '08, 02:29

Re: Best Green Tea you have ever had?

by olivierco » Mar 12th, '08, 02:29

Pentox wrote:I'm curious, what is the best green tea you have ever had, as detailed as possible please. What is your favorite green tea, regardless of price, just the best cup of green tea you have ever had.
I would say Uji Gyokuro Kame-Giru-Shi which has been my favorite lately but it is too difficult to pick only one tea.

Mar 12th, '08, 10:12

Re: Best Green Tea you have ever had?

by MoGa » Mar 12th, '08, 10:12

Pentox wrote:I'm curious, what is the best green tea you have ever had, as detailed as possible please. What is your favorite green tea, regardless of price, just the best cup of green tea you have ever had.
My favourite green tea isn't necessarily the best cup I've ever had.

The best cup I've had was prepared for me by a friend's wife in Yokohama. She'd been studying the tea ceremony for a few years. The tea was excellent, but it could have been just as much the ambiance she created as well as the stunning harbour view (and that we were both dressed in kimono - which was then my first time) that made this cup of matcha with wagashi so very memorable.

My favourite green tea for casual drinking is one that my grandmother-in-law has been getting for years. It always seems to taste better at the kotatsu in her wooden Tokyo home than it does in London. But it's light and delicious and has just enough bitterness to it to make us keep pouring out cups.
Whilst my husband and I like and appreciate high grade gyokuro, there's something compelling about some of the more 'ordinary' teas, it's impossible for us to put our finger on, 'bitterness' isn't really the right word, but the senchas we like best have a certain something that 'prickles' the tea and makes us go back for another sip, and another, and another.

My husband's grandmother always gave us packets, but it's always been in a foil bag, all I know is that it is from Shizuoka. Unfortunately, she's too old to get more of it. I don't know how we'd get hold of it ourselves. :(

Someone I know sent me two packets of tea from Fukuoka. One is sencha, the other genmaicha. The sencha particularly is not hugely different from grandmother's, the taste is slightly different, but it's just as interesting and compelling to drink. I have the packet in front of me. The foil packaging says 'ocha'(お茶 which just means tea in Japanese), it's the stickers that give additional information. Unfortunately, I can't read a word.

I guess this is a huge advantage for those who get their Japanese tea from English speaking vendors. It only occurred to me recently to start keeping the packs of tea I've bought in Japan and particularly liked. The Fukuoka 'inaka' tea is quite typical though, most of them were bought in small tea shops I may never find again and labelled with stickers. And then all the brands change so quickly in Japan. The first time I went there was a bottled tea made with konacha. I got a real taste for it. Like so many things, it disappeared without a trace. Thankfully, the next bottled tea I took a shine to was ito-en's oi ocha which has remained popular and available for a few years now. I still miss the sushi-shop style konacha from my first visit though. Apparently, quite a few of my husband's friends really liked it too.

But there are still a bewildering number of teas to try :D, it's probable that I still haven't tried my eventual overall favourite.
Last edited by MoGa on Mar 13th, '08, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.

Mar 12th, '08, 11:37

by hop_goblin » Mar 12th, '08, 11:37

JM wrote:Uncle Lee's
JM what makes these special. I see these at my Asian food store all of the time. Just really curious.

Hop

Mar 12th, '08, 11:57

by Pentox » Mar 12th, '08, 11:57

Selaphiel wrote:The best green teas I`ve had are:

Uji Gyokuro Yume no Ukihashi and Sencha Miyabi.

That was two I know, but they both deserve to be mentioned.
Heh, I should hope that the Uji Gyokuro Yume no Ukihashi should be good, but it's good to hear the price tag is warranted.

Mar 12th, '08, 15:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 12th, '08, 15:05

I have tried to answer this for several days now, and I am completely stuck.

I can say it is sencha...but the ultimate fav changes quite often.

Let me think some more.

Mar 12th, '08, 16:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Mar 12th, '08, 16:15

I feel the thread may be biased towards Japanese greens.

I'm all for long jing that's too expensive to drink fast and too fresh to leave around. I've not found any online that quite lived up to the stuff I used to get from a local tea shop but I live in hope, and in fear for my wallet.

Where's TaiPing Hou Kui when I need 'im.

Mar 12th, '08, 16:23

by Pentox » Mar 12th, '08, 16:23

I find it rather interesting that most of the teas listed are from o-cha.

I wonder if japanese greens are heavily represented for a reason... HMMMMMMMMMMM

+ Post Reply