Thursdays are TeaDays, 3/13/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Let's continue with the 1-5 scale, this time we get to the heart of the matter, how much do you enjoy TEA?

1: It is just tea, gimme a break, you TeaFreaks.
2%
2: Yeah, I like it, no biggie.
7%
3: I really like TEA.
9%
4: OK, I love TEA.
62%
5: I love TEA more than food. If I had to choose one, you know which I would choose.
20%

Total votes: 45

Mar 13th, '08, 16:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 13th, '08, 16:07

olivierco wrote:I have just received my sencha premium: I will surely open it this week-end and will be able to compare your brewing parameters with mine.
Olivierco, I will await your comments. Since this is asamushi, you may like it more with more leaf since that is what you are acccustomed to. Most asamushi, I use close to 7 grams vs. 4-5 grams normally used.

I like to use less leaf for several reasons. If I used more leaf, I would feel I had to do even more than my normal 5 steeps, I do not like to waste ("mottainai") flavor. 5 steeps and I am ready to move on...this would be a dilema for me.

Mar 13th, '08, 16:15

by GalileosDaughter » Mar 13th, '08, 16:15

There was never any doubt. I LOVE tea!!

Mar 13th, '08, 16:16

by Victoria » Mar 13th, '08, 16:16

Trying out Den's Sakura Sencha thanks to Cinnamon Kitty.

Very nice, I like it. Lighter and more delicate than I was expecting which is a good thing. It actually tasted pretty good cold too as I reached the end of my big cup.

Very nice.

Mar 13th, '08, 16:21

by Chip » Mar 13th, '08, 16:21

Victoria wrote:Trying out Den's Sakura Sencha thanks to Cinnamon Kitty.

Very nice, I like it. Lighter and more delicate than I was expecting which is a good thing. It actually tasted pretty good cold too as I reached the end of my big cup.

Very nice.
OY...coincidentally...or not actually. All this talk about Sakura Sencha gave me cause to reopen a tin of Teavana's version from easily 3-4 years ago that I received as a gift. Could be 5 years ago...

It was still like "BAM" as I held it up to smell. Really way too much flavor. I bet Den's is done right, sounds nice...and a more traditional preparation vs. the flamboyant...no...the more bombastic Teavana version.

Mar 13th, '08, 16:27

by Chip » Mar 13th, '08, 16:27

tenuki wrote: FP.
OK...we give up...FP?

Both of those oolong sound fantastic. The Legend...did you just replenish this one?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 13th, '08, 16:44

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 13th, '08, 16:44

Interesting, tenuki. I have a question about that 90s aged Nan Tou-- did it taste roasted at all? I seem to recall he had been freshening up a bunch of his aged oolongs, this might have been one of them. I'm curious because I have some of this as well, which I purchased a long (6 months maybe?) time ago, and it's pretty lackluster. Maybe a quick roast is in order...
Last edited by scruffmcgruff on Mar 13th, '08, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 13th, '08, 16:44

by Victoria » Mar 13th, '08, 16:44

tenuki wrote: ... 90s select aged Nan Tou from Hou De. Mmmnnn, this tea is fantastic!
I totally agree. :D
Chip wrote: ... Really way too much flavor. I bet Den's is done right, sounds nice...and a more traditional preparation vs. the flamboyant...no...the more bombastic Teavana version.
Yep, you would prefer this one. :D

Mar 13th, '08, 17:10

by daughteroftheKing » Mar 13th, '08, 17:10

Orchid oolong at breakfast. yummm

Now serving Mangosteen White (letsdoteadotcom) to the weekly T@3 group. I didn't used to like this stuff except on ice, but now that I'm nearing the bottom of the tin, it's grown on me.

Tea is great, but I like food more. (But that's a discussion for another board. :wink: )
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Mar 13th, '08, 18:13

by tenuki » Mar 13th, '08, 18:13

scruffmcgruff wrote:Interesting, tenuki. I have a question about that 90s aged Nan Tou-- did it taste roasted at all? I seem to recall he had been freshening up a bunch of his aged oolongs, this might have been one of them. I'm curious because I have some of this as well, which I purchased a long (6 months maybe?) time ago, and it's pretty lackluster. Maybe a quick roast is in order...
Hmn, hard to tell because the roast is gonna be there regardless due to the process of preparing it for aging described here:

an extremely long roasting to the oolong, usually take months, following an unique roasting-quenching up-and-down pattern. Once finish, they then store the oolong into jars for aging. No more re-roasting or drying is needed.
Certainly a refresh would be in order, maybe not a roasting though unless that fails. It's really a great tea IMO, I can' t imagine it wouldn't perk up.

Mar 13th, '08, 20:55

by Chip » Mar 13th, '08, 20:55

Tea 2 was Tamaryokucha, steamed guricha from O-Cha. This really reminds me of Chinese green Luan Gua Pian, quite nice. Since this is one of my fav Chinese greens, it works for me!

Tea 3 from Pentox, was a Kamairicha from Lupicia, this is the roasted version of guricha. It has a faint toasty note...faintly barley like. This was much better than the selection from Lupicia I had yesterday that did nothing for me. Everything is better from the dry leaf aroma to the taste.

I received a bamboo design gaiwan today as a gift from Padre...thanx Padre. Believe it or not, this is my first gaiwan. I have been looking for one for well over a year...just kept putting it off in my quest for my perfect first gaiwan...this is analysis paralysis to the extreme. Padre took that away...now I will likely get many more.

Mar 13th, '08, 21:02
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Mar 13th, '08, 21:02

I can't say tea trumps food, because tea is a subset of food. That would be like saying that sencha trumps tea.

Mar 13th, '08, 21:07

by Chip » Mar 13th, '08, 21:07

Touche, Padre...and thanx for an idea for manana's poll.

Mar 13th, '08, 21:30
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Mar 13th, '08, 21:30

While I've been known to forget to eat while drinking tea, I would still put tea one tick below food. You've got to have food.

Well, you have to have tea, too.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Mar 13th, '08, 22:27

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 13th, '08, 22:27

I certainly drink more tea that I do eat food. Today the only thing that has been in my cup is my personal favorite.....TaiPing Hou Kui

Mar 13th, '08, 22:39

by daughteroftheKing » Mar 13th, '08, 22:39

A third tea for me today -- Darjeeling 22 with dinner guests. I enjoy introducing people to tea (or is it tea to people?), but it is rather nice when they already know how good loose tea is.
Two final infusions of the orchid oolong from this morning. The 4th steep regained a bit of green taste as I forgot to set the timer. Nice discovery. :o
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")