Yellow tea

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Mar 16th, '08, 19:22

Yellow tea

by hop_goblin » Mar 16th, '08, 19:22

Ok guys, I finaly got my yellow tea! I will post some tasting notes and my impressions soon and hopefully some pictures if I have time! :P

Wish me luck!

Mar 16th, '08, 19:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 16th, '08, 19:34

Good luck!! As you may have read, mine was so-so. Not too exciting. Hope yours is better.

Mar 16th, '08, 20:21

by Warden Andy » Mar 16th, '08, 20:21

Which yellow tea did you get?
Super elite tea facist....

Mar 17th, '08, 11:02

by hop_goblin » Mar 17th, '08, 11:02

Hi Victoria, I did in fact read your comments on the yellow tea. That was one of the reason I wanted folks to wish me luck! :P

The type of tea I will be tasting is Huo Shan Huang Ya from DTH. I haven't had time but will do so very soon!

Mar 18th, '08, 20:52

Huo Shan Huang Ya from Dragon Tea House

by hop_goblin » Mar 18th, '08, 20:52

As promised here is my first experience with Yellow Tea for all to read.

The Tea I tasted was Huo Shan Huang Ya from DTH

Dry leaf does show a noticeable yellow ting to it. Looks like mostly buds with lots of down.

The liquor was somewhat lite in color. It almosts resembles a white tea. In fact a lot like a white tea. When I first took the first sip, it really tasted delicate. Yes, that is what I am going with, delicate. It had the faint taste of a nice Mao Feng and the sweetness and mellowness of a white tea. It didn't really have a body to it and was quite flimsy. However, I can see that it would be a pleasant tea for the summer since the flavors are not very thick and the lightness can quench the thirst.

The aroma was descent. It was some what floral but as with the liquor quite light and airy.

Very small buds, and I do believe that there still is a yellow ting which is nice. :) Nice too look at.

Final Analysis - well, I did enjoy this tea, however I can see why some may not enjoy it. It does not really pack a punch and at times you really have to look for the flavors. It is nice and delicate and could be really nice in the event that you just want to drink something refreshing. One downfall is that most yellow teas are very expensive.

You try some!

Mar 18th, '08, 21:28

by Pentox » Mar 18th, '08, 21:28

Oh wow, I didn't know they had yellows that were not buds. The one that I tried (Meng Ding Huang Ya from Seven Cups) was all buds. Interestingly they were smaller than silver needles.

Mar 19th, '08, 09:52

by hop_goblin » Mar 19th, '08, 09:52

Pentox wrote:Oh wow, I didn't know they had yellows that were not buds. The one that I tried (Meng Ding Huang Ya from Seven Cups) was all buds. Interestingly they were smaller than silver needles.
Interesting Pentox! I am new to yellow tea and really have know clue! But now we both know! Isn't teachat wonderful! :P

Sep 6th, '09, 14:51

Re: Yellow tea

by Jan Oren Prague » Sep 6th, '09, 14:51

Hello. I want to ask... the tea from TDH which you drink, is it from wild trees??? I found some seller in Prague who travelled in China and bring tea in same price, but private production. So it s from old wild trees and he called also China Sechuan Meng Ding Shan Huang Ya.

Did anyone tried yellow tea from non-cultivated trees?????

Sep 6th, '09, 15:22

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Sep 6th, '09, 15:22

Hop goblin drinking something besides puerh? Haha. I still haven't given yellow/white tea a chance- but I need to. I've just been hesitant because I know they are very subtle-tasting teas; and I'm used to bolder oolongs and puerh, and sharper Japanese green teas. Wow, I really need to branch out a bit more; some traveling outside of my comfort zone will be in order very soon.

Sep 10th, '09, 13:13

by Oni » Sep 10th, '09, 13:13

I want to try Jun Shan Yin Zhen from DT, it is authentic from the company who owns the jun shan island tea plantation, and they sell the best grade for the best price, but I wonder if that is the real thing, teaspring has a new cha wang grade that looks yellow, and sevencups has yellow colored leaves too, it is very expencieve to try all the vendors who claim to sell the real Jun Shan YZ.

Sep 13th, '09, 22:21
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 13th, '09, 22:21

My friend gave me a small jar of meng ding yellow bud from Cooks Shop Here (cooksshophere.com). It was great, refreshing with honey after taste. I still keep the little empty jar and there is still fresh fragrance in it :D
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Tjz7-dt8PhM/S ... B8%AD2.JPG

Oct 7th, '09, 16:04

by braven » Oct 7th, '09, 16:04

I hope Adagio gets it's hands on some yellow tea!

Nov 1st, '09, 08:08

by dooble » Nov 1st, '09, 08:08

Heh, I've been drinking 'Yellow Needle Yunnan' for a while now and I got to say it's one of the most fascinating teas I've tasted.
There are interesting hints of chocolate and melon in the taste but what I love the most is the calming effect of the tea. What ever problems I have, it solves them right away in some weird invert way :) .

Nov 1st, '09, 10:32

by woozl » Nov 1st, '09, 10:32

gingko wrote:My friend gave me a small jar of meng ding yellow bud from Cooks Shop Here (cooksshophere.com). It was great, refreshing with honey after taste. I still keep the little empty jar and there is still fresh fragrance in it :D
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Tjz7-dt8PhM/S ... B8%AD2.JPG
+1 for cook's/ tea trekker
http://www.teatrekker.com/main.htm

Nov 3rd, '09, 17:37

by braven » Nov 3rd, '09, 17:37

What exactly is yellow tea? :?

+ Post Reply