Silver Needle

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Feb 12th, '08, 01:29

Silver Needle

by Pentox » Feb 12th, '08, 01:29

Hey, I've been meaning to get some silver needle, but I don't know from whom I should get some from. I imagine that there are different quality levels of silver needle, but i don't know who has a better/worse one. Has anyone tried silver needle from multiple vendors and has an opinion?[/u]

Feb 12th, '08, 01:45

by Space Samurai » Feb 12th, '08, 01:45

I like Rishi's better than I like the Republic of Tea's, and I like RoT's better than I liked Teaspot's. If that helps at all.

Feb 12th, '08, 10:46

by Mary R » Feb 12th, '08, 10:46

And I liked Adagio's better than Rishi's! I also liked the Yunnan offering from YSLLC best of all in a comparative tasting I did awhile back ago. However, the samples were older and when my Adagio sample was fresher, I liked it more than the YSLLC one.

Feb 12th, '08, 12:42

by Space Samurai » Feb 12th, '08, 12:42

I have not tried Adagio's. But I'm sore at Rishi, so buy from Adagio. :twisted:

Feb 12th, '08, 13:41

by Wesli » Feb 12th, '08, 13:41

Adagio's is good. I have a tin of it coming in today. :D

Feb 12th, '08, 14:26

by Pentox » Feb 12th, '08, 14:26

So is there any grading system or anything of the such for Silver Needle? Or will silver needle always be called silver needle and will just vary due to vendor? Or is there like Superior Silver Needle?

Feb 12th, '08, 14:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Feb 12th, '08, 14:42

As bestest as I can tell, all quality indications in the world of tea are meaningless. It seems like "premium" sometimes means "caveat emptor." Blogs, reviews, word of mouth, or trusted vendors are the only grading system I have had any luck with.

Feb 12th, '08, 15:25

by JT » Feb 12th, '08, 15:25

Ah silver needle. One of my favorites. I'm still searching for the holy grail variety of this tea. Lately Rishi's is my favorite but...
Rishi seems to have 2 different harvests. Last time I asked they are selling silver needle from 2006 and 2007. I ordered 2 bags withing the last few of months. The first was excellent but the second was just ok. I also got a few cans of their silver needle for xmas that were from the "excellent" harvest.

Adagio offers a solid product. I like it but it doesn't blow me away. I'd say it's a good everyday tea or to start out with.

Teaspring's silver needle is very good and has a unique taste compared to others.

I sampled some of Uptons a while back. They were ok. The only one from them that stuck out was the China Yin Zhen Bai Hao Downy White Pekoe.

A few years ago I tried Stash's Flowery Pekoe White. I liked it a lot then, but I can't comment on their current harvest.

Tao of Tea's silver needle is from Hunnan Province. I couldn't stand it so I tossed it in the trash.

I just tried some from Red Blossom. It's decent standard silver needles.

I'm curious to see what others recommend. I'm always looking for different varieties to try.

Feb 12th, '08, 16:34

by Eastree » Feb 12th, '08, 16:34

Adagio's is good.

My favorite is the Zheng He Bai Hao Yin Zhen from Jing Teas. By far.

Unfortunately, they are out until this year's spring harvest.

A little about the tea (quoted from their site back in the day):
White tea from Fu Jian province is produced in two counties: Fu Ding and Zheng He. While Fu Ding white tea represent easily 80% or more of the white tea production, Zheng He white tea is very rare. ... Zheng He Bai Hao Yin Zhen is the ONLY white tea that has ever been a tribute tea to the emperor!

Feb 12th, '08, 16:49

by JT » Feb 12th, '08, 16:49

Eastree wrote:Adagio's is good.

My favorite is the Zheng He Bai Hao Yin Zhen from Jing Teas. By far.

Unfortunately, they are out until this year's spring harvest.

A little about the tea (quoted from their site back in the day):
White tea from Fu Jian province is produced in two counties: Fu Ding and Zheng He. While Fu Ding white tea represent easily 80% or more of the white tea production, Zheng He white tea is very rare. ... Zheng He Bai Hao Yin Zhen is the ONLY white tea that has ever been a tribute tea to the emperor!

I've been waiting in anticipation to try Jing's silver needle. Teaspring has a Zhen He Bai Hao Yin Zhen. These 2 are the only shops I've seen offering this variety.

Mar 20th, '08, 22:18

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 20th, '08, 22:18

I have tried some from Rishi and from Uptons and my personal favorite is from www.springbuds.com (a division of the red and green company) They sell it in one ounce tins and it is pretty decent stuff. You have to order through e-mail and then paypal.

-Nick (TaiPing)

+ Post Reply