Sunday TeaDay!!! 3/23/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

A lot of eating going on today, so I wondered, do you ever cook with true TEA?

Yes, quite frequently
2%
Yes, occasionally
10%
Yes I have once or twice
20%
No, but sounds interesting and I would like to try it
41%
No, never have, never considered it, hmmm
20%
NOPE, and not interested
5%
Other
2%

Total votes: 41

Mar 23rd, '08, 01:52
Scrolling: scrolling

Sunday TeaDay!!! 3/23/08

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '08, 01:52

I will be visiting family today, and with it comes the challenge of drinking TEA. I will be taking tea, teaware, water...and haven't figured out what else. But I will drink TEA today.

If you are visiting family, etc this Easter Sunday, I hope you are able to have enjoy your tea as well.

So, welcome to TeaDay! Please stop by throughout the day and share what is in your cup. Check out what other TeaChatters are sipping today as well.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic...I guess I was thinking about all the food I will eat today. Do you ever cook with tea? Share where you stand on this edible subject. If you do use tea in cooking, maybe share some example(s) with us.

I hope where ever you spend this Sunday, that you enjoy your tea.

Mar 23rd, '08, 03:02

by olivierco » Mar 23rd, '08, 03:02

I occasionaly use tea for cooking. Sometimes in sauces, sometimes sprinkled over food and for desserts (matcha biscuits).

This morning Keemun.

Mar 23rd, '08, 05:50

by Terrasi » Mar 23rd, '08, 05:50

I always want to try it and can't ever find a recipe that actually appeals to me. Someday though, someday.

Today: Assam harmony

Maybe I should cook with it. nah.
Last edited by Terrasi on Mar 23rd, '08, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 23rd, '08, 06:57

by Jack_teachat » Mar 23rd, '08, 06:57

Not ever cooked with tea but over the summer I'm going to give a try when I have a bit more free time!

No tea as of yet but will probably have the last of my Miyabi Sencha later. Miyabi is a beautiful tea but I think I preffer the Yutaka Midori just a little. I have some Fukamushi Sencha Supreme and Uji Gyokuro Kame-Giru-Shi on their way from O-cha! Not had any Gyokuro yet so am really looking forward to that!

Have a lovely day everyone! :D

Mar 23rd, '08, 08:49

by witches brew » Mar 23rd, '08, 08:49

Since there is such an overlap between tisanes and culinary herbs, yes, I have used 'tea' in cooking quite often.

Fresh pineapple is delicious with a sprinkle of mint on it. Where am I likely to find my mint? On my tea shelf... Of course, a garnish of fresh mint is even better, but in winter it's not something I have at hand.

Now, I'm thinking of turning that idea into a sorbet. How yummy would that be?

Also, my lemongrass tea ends up in soup stock quite often. It's not really a recipe, but using strong lemongrass tea instead of water in a vegetable soup is tasty.

In my cup this morning, Rooibos Tropica. That may be a mistake because I can't quite taste it's flavor. Stupid cold is still lingering.

Mar 23rd, '08, 09:24

by Trey Winston » Mar 23rd, '08, 09:24

I was never really aware that tea was used for cooking, and I doubt I'll be doing much of it.
My first White Peony from Adagio's white sampler today.
Trey

Mar 23rd, '08, 09:30

by forkyfork » Mar 23rd, '08, 09:30

Thank you so much for:

a) Having a poll (i.e. not saying "No poll today - happy easter")
b) Not incorporating easter in your poll
c) Not mentioning easter all that much either.

As a jew, I thank you :)

Mar 23rd, '08, 10:00

by Ed » Mar 23rd, '08, 10:00

I'm still trying to incorporate edibility into my cooking :?

I'm drinking Den's Mecha this morning - the last of the bag. It was surprisingly good for the price.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate. Happy TeaDay to those who don't. :P

Mar 23rd, '08, 10:38

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '08, 10:38

Sencha Tokusen in my cup. Pretty good again today.

I enjoy cooking with tea. I cook a lot, create a lot. Matcha is so easy to use in cooking, and I can truly taste it in most dishes I use it. Matcha rice is a simple fav way to bring tea into a meal. I make this with a lot of Asian dishes, but have to be careful not to eat it too late.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 23rd, '08, 11:01

tea day

by Ron Gilmour » Mar 23rd, '08, 11:01

The only time I've ever cooked with tea involved a recipe for apple raisin cookies. The raisins were dropped in a cup of tea to plump them up and then the whole cup was added to the cookie batter. Good cookies!

This morning I'm enjoying Twining's Prince of Wales.

Mar 23rd, '08, 11:17

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 23rd, '08, 11:17

I have made Earl Grey Crème Brulée (an Alton Brown recipe) before, but that's about it. If you're wondering, the tea flavor didn't really come through too well, though I did use a teaball (*gasp* I KNOW). Next time, if there is a next time, I'll just throw the leaves in there and filter them later.

Oh, and I've also made matcha ice cream. Mmmm!

Mar 23rd, '08, 11:45

by Victoria » Mar 23rd, '08, 11:45

I haven't really thought about cooking with tea, except some of the matcha recipes floating around. Honestly I don't do a lot of cooking, but I am a little interested in at least thinking about ways I might incorporate it.

For my morning brew - Yunnan Gold, I am still marveling at how great this cup is. This stuff took me by surprise, I continually find myself saying - Wow.

Happy Easter!

Mar 23rd, '08, 12:03

by Tea na » Mar 23rd, '08, 12:03

I make butternut squash soup about once a month. The last time I made it I added a cup of strong Keemun tea. My husband said it was the best butternut squash soup I ever made. I'm going to try tea in more dishes, but I haven't been cooking much lately. There is just too much going on.

Have a wonderful Tea Day!
Tina

Mar 23rd, '08, 12:26

by omegapd » Mar 23rd, '08, 12:26

Just finished a big Easter meal and enjoyed more than a few cups of Adagio's Kukicha for the first time. It went very well with the asparagus and brussel sprouts the wifey cooked. Never have cooked anything with tea, though...

Now it's time for the kid's Easter candy... :twisted:

EW

Mar 23rd, '08, 12:40

by TimeforTea » Mar 23rd, '08, 12:40

This morning I enjoyed a sample of Dragonwater's sencha.

I have not yet cooked with tea, but I am very curious to do so. The first thing I'd like to try is mixing rice with green tea. Then I'd like to learn how to make an iced green tea smoothie.

The majority of the US celebrates Easter. I want to quote a very wise tea friend who said, "Happy Easter if you celebrate, and Happy Spring if you do not." :D

We don't celebrate Easter but I think my husband and I will cook ourselves a nice dinner just because everyone else is celebrating. :D But first, I must finish my tea (now drinking the last of my adagio's white blueberry) and go across the street to give the kids their chocolate Easter bunnies. :D