Tea room start-up costs

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Tea room start-up costs

Postby tracelc » Mar 23rd, '08, 10:14

Hello,

I'm Tracy and I have been coming here, mostly lurking, for a couple of years now.

I have wanted to open a small, British-style tea room for years. It's a pretty strong passion, actually! Two years ago I got very serious about it and started my business plan, saw a SBA counselor, got a consultant....almost the works! I was doing this on my own, and got very discouraged and gave up.

But it keeps coming back to me. In any case, I kept getting stuck on the start up costs for this plan, and I couldn't get help with this anywhere. I have no idea what I will need to open a small tea room.

I envision something small - around 10 tables - and only serving few hot items. Mostly I will serve the British style tea sandwiches, scones, and the like. I get stuck on things like - how many teapots and tea service items do I need; how many plates, saucers, etc.; how many tablecloths....? The list goes something like that.

I did get some insight as to oven hood and fire safety, but that's about it. Can anyone help in this area?

I would appreciate any help! Also, any good recommendations for good books on this topic? It's hard to pick one!

Thanks,
Tracy
tracelc

Postby Eastree » Mar 23rd, '08, 22:17

I have no clue as to running a business in the food industry. But I'd definitely say for quantity, 150% to 200% base need is minimum. At least for tablecloths. For teapots, it may be close to that, depending on how you plan to serve. But for all serving wares, I'd suggest 200% maximum serving capacity in the least. It also depends on how fast your dishwasher (human or machine) can accomplish the job.

Oh, and if you happen to be in my area and you're not too frilly (nothing wrong with it, it's just not my thing. I'd also look very out of place), I might have to stop in and support a fellow teachatter.
Eastree

SCORE

Postby tea-guy » Feb 16th, '09, 21:36

I HIGHLY recommend sitting down with a representative from http://www.SCORE.org. They offer "consulting" as you call it free of charge as a public service to entrepreneurs. Visit their website to find or seek someone near you for the sit down.

Don't be discouraged! You're further along than your competitors. Remain Excited! Your idea has merit and should be explored!
tea-guy

Instant Messenger

Permissions